Do Any of You Buy Prescription Drugs in Mexico?

LAFFNVEGAS

I have never done this but I have heard some people buy some of their prescription drugs in Mexico. I have a a good insurance so have never needed to do this. My question though is for the Prescription drug Vioxx that was taken off the market. I took Vioxx maybe once a week sometimes twice but seldom. With taking it so seldom I really don't think it was a health threat to me but since I am allergic to sulfur and cannot take it's substitute, Vioxx is still the only thing that works for my occasion pain. Does anyone think they might still have some in Mexico? I just thought if I could pick up a few more while they may still be available some where.

Lisa: Great question. I'd be interested also, but not for Vioxx. I have terrible insurance and just found out my order from Canada was seized at the boarder. Can you believe that!! How ridiculous. I had to pay $60 more to get it in the US. I'll be in Coz in Jan and that is a good idea.

Claudia, I can't believe you have a picture of an Umbrella Cockatoo. Is that Snowey? I have two Toos I am a 11 year old Umbrella named Pumpkin that we have had since she was a baby and a 10 year old Lessor Sulfur Crest named Mini.

Hopefully some one can respond to this.

Lisa: Yes, that is Snowey. Who BTW was left out of her cage all night last night! I nearly died when I saw her on my ab roller (her toy). No damage to anything! Just poop on the bed (I have it covered). I also have Joker, a yellow nape amazon and Baby a sun conure. Snowey is about 7 years old, Joker 8, Baby 9. I should have stopped at 2!

2 Toos! That is allot of work. Hopefully they are sweet. All my birds are Queens. They eat w/us in the AM & PM have cages outside & inside.

Lisa: Yes, that is Snowey. Who BTW was left out of her cage all night last night! I nearly died when I saw her on my ab roller (her toy). No damage to anything! Just poop on the bed (I have it covered). I also have Joker, a yellow nape amazon and Baby a sun conure. Snowey is about 7 years old, Joker 8, Baby 9. I should have stopped at 2!

2 Toos! That is allot of work. Hopefully they are sweet. All my birds are Queens. They eat w/us in the AM & PM have cages outside & inside.

I forgot to mention we also have a Green Cheek Conure that is 14 years old and her name is "Baby" That is funny that your Conure is also Baby. OMG Snowey was out all night. Our birds and their cages are in our Bedroom, Yes it is a very Big Bedroom. So we would know if Pumpkin was out plus we have to keep a Clamp lock on her cage door or she would just open up the door herself. Actually she would love to be out she would come over and get under the covers with us. But then that would really make our 2 toy poodles very mad because that is where they sleep. Oh yes we also have a cat named Joey who actually is the ruler over the house. He is the only one with full rein of the house. The dogs have their own bedroom with doggie door and dog run they stay in till we let them out in the evening. Everyone gets along except the birds get really jealous of the cat if we are paying attention to him and not them. That is when they get noisy:eek: I am sure you know about the Cockatoo screams.

Hola from Puerto Vallarta. No, you do not need a prescription to buy many medications here (I work at a hospital!). You DO need a prescription from a Mexican physician for any narcotics. Otherwise, no.

Hola from Puerto Vallarta. No, you do not need a prescription to buy many medications here (I work at a hospital!). You DO need a prescription from a Mexican physician for any narcotics. Otherwise, no.

Pam, I know that Vioxx is not a narcotic but do you know if Vioxx is available? We will be in Cabo, Laredo and La Paz.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, only narcotics require a prescription. I believe US customs allows you to bring back meds for personal use. Some meds are cheaper in Mexico and some are not. Prices for meds are set by the Mexican government and meds are usually stamped with that price. I have purchase antibiotics, ibruprofen, and bc pills at reduced rates.

We have bought prescription medication in Mexico (Algonones, just across the border from Yuma AZ) several times. We have prescription insurance so we take a list of our medications and ask the farmacia for their prices so we can compare (with our co-payment). We have discovered that we get the best prices (better than with our insurance) on the generic medications and most of the nongeneric medications cost more in Mexico (than our co-pay). Here are some sample prices from Algodones as of May 2004 (all prices in US dollars):

Prempro* 2.5 mg 100 tablets = $28

Avandia 8 mg 50 tablets = $60

Glucophage* 850 mg 50 tablets = $3

Lipitor 40 mg 25 tablets = $54

Pepcid* 20 mg 100 tablets = $6

Altace 5 mg 16 tablets = $23

Tylenol #3* 30 tablets = $32

*generics

If you see a farmacia while in port, stop and ask them for prices. We have never had to have a prescription. We usually buy 6 months' worth of pills and also understand that they are supposed to be for your own personal use.

No Vioxx in Mexico while we were there last week. Maybe the stock was returned to the drug manufacturer for a rebate. We stop at the pharmacias every cruise and buy what we need. You put it in your luggage (not carryon) and it sails thru customs. They don't care if you buy ibuprofen or antibiotics or your needed Rx drugs that cost more in US. They do care if you are trying to smuggle cocaine. :D I always get Retin A, 800mg Ibuprofen (Rx needed in US, go figure), and lomotil for insurance against montezuma's revenge. Shop around and ask prices because what's $10 at one pharmacia is $15 at another. Happy Sailing!

No Vioxx in Mexico while we were there last week. Maybe the stock was returned to the drug manufacturer for a rebate. We stop at the pharmacias every cruise and buy what we need. You put it in your luggage (not carryon) and it sails thru customs. They don't care if you buy ibuprofen or antibiotics or your needed Rx drugs that cost more in US. They do care if you are trying to smuggle cocaine. :D I always get Retin A, 800mg Ibuprofen (Rx needed in US, go figure), and lomotil for insurance against montezuma's revenge. Shop around and ask prices because what's $10 at one pharmacia is $15 at another. Happy Sailing!

1cruiselvr, Thanks so much for checking on the Vioxx, I kinda of figured they may have sent it back or possibly it has been sold out and they cannot get any more. Thanks again for checking.

We have gotten medicine in Mexico. One thing we have discovered is to go to a small out of the way pharmacy... ask the cab driver or someone at the hotel where they get their meds refilled. I'm not suggesting to go to a back alley :eek: but we go to a show that isn't in the main area. We later check the price at a downtown place it is was MUCH more expensive.

If the medicine is not generic, the least expensive places with best selection is Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Farmacia Guadalajara and CMQ farmacias in Puerto Vallarta.

The Farmacia Guadalajara and CMQ have the same prices in all their stores in te Vallarta area, so no need to go out yonder for a better price.

I buy all of my insuline here, Lantus and Humolog, much cheaper than in the US.

You can also buy Cipro for much less as well.

Most farmacias have signs up listing the popular drugs, from Avandia to *****...and they have the books that list the English and Spanish names.

I have to go to the farmacia in the next week, I will check on the Vioxx for those of you interested and post if it is still available and if so, the price.

We live in San Diego and therefore we are right next to Mexico and often get our meds there. I always bring the empty bottle of the meds I want to be refilled with me and then fill it with the meds I get in Mexico. I have never had a problem at the border as my meds are in the US prescription bottle with my name on them. There is no way for anyone to know where I got it filled. I find it to be a lot less expensive in Mexico especially for non generic meds. I have never tried to get meds that were not proscribed to me, except for over the counter stuff, therefore don’t know if that is possible or even safe. I surely wouldn’t recommend it.

If one drug company has the patent, then it doesn't matter where they ship -US,Canada,Mexico, the drug is the same just the price is different. So many people don't realize that....once the patent is released for generic to be made, then quality can play a part....but I've only purchased generic Retin A which I doubt is a big deal.

Archived