Compass Rewards Program Ends

Host Kewlguy

I have a copy of the certificate that I received last week. It states that it is non-transferrable. Also states that if it is brokered, bartered, sold, purchased or altered it will be considered void. So I would think that the person who is named on the certificate would have to be part of the booking.

Oops.. nothing I need to add.

I have a copy of the certificate that I received last week. It states that it is non-transferrable. Also states that if it is brokered, bartered, sold, purchased or altered it will be considered void. So I would think that the person who is named on the certificate would have to be part of the booking.

I believe it's only good for the cabin that person is in also. That means if you need more than one cabin you wouldn't be able to use coupons on all of them, just the one named on the certificate. I'm not 100% sure on this but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :D

This reminds me of what Pan Am did many years ago when they decided to force all their customers to use up their frequent flier miles by a certain date or lose them. Dumb move, as thousands of Pan Am's best customers occupied seats for free in a mad rush to use up their miles.

The bad part of this for NCL is that like Pan Am, they are hurting their most loyal customers. I would rarely cruise on another line, as even when I did not have vouchers to redeem, the 4% bonus for paying NCL with the card was a good deal. I'll still cruise NCL, but they will no longer be at the top of the list. Since I'll be using a generic reward card, other cruise lines will be on a level paying field with NCL in the future.

Most of us suspected that this was to good to last forever. It is unfortunate and disappointing, but not unexpected.

I believe it's only good for the cabin that person is in also. That means if you need more than one cabin you wouldn't be able to use coupons on all of them, just the one named on the certificate. I'm not 100% sure on this but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :D

That's what I was going to say in my earlier post, but I thought "part of the booking" covered that. You're right, they have to be in the cabin they're using a certificate for.

.....(our billing cycle ends in late Dec and that last month will probably be necessary to get to the next 500 pt level). By the time I get that last bill and they post the payment, it could be several days after the new year.

On the day your billing cycle ends just pay the balance online, or at a branch. Then as soon as your payment posts call in for the certs. Actually, if you reach the monthly limit (or whatever you need to reach your next 500 cert) just pay the balance then, you don't have to wait until your cycle ends. If you pre-pay, you will have a zero balance when your cycle ends and can call for your certs the same day.

I need 50 points on one card and 250 on another right now.. I am going to use the one that needs to get 250 more points right now and see how close I can get. I should be ok. If I need some more points as the program ends I am going to go buy gift cards for the businesses that I frequent an that way I can use the gift cards after the program ends and get the points before it does. Anyone else have any ideas?? Or... if you had any 0% offers on other cards you could buy several months of cards or prepay some of the bills you pay with your card and then make the payments to the 0% card. Anyone else think of anyway to make these last few months work in our favor?

That's a great idea! :) Citi Bank has a card that offers 1.25 miles per dollar on their airline card with no blackout dates.

Here's a question..

If I land up getting certificates under the new program, I believe I have to book through WorldPoints or whoever they are affliated with. Does that mean you have to go with their price? (no negotiating?)

Going to the BoA web site I have found nothing about how to really redeem any points. You have to have an account to see how many points you need for anything.

So for now it's a "pig in a poke". If we have to book through a specific agency I will have no use for the card at all.

As it is we are checking out other options for our credit card needs.

Charlie

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...if we're getting stuck earning more points for the discount and then paying what they make us (without deals)...what's the point?

This stinks! :(

The point is that the card company will try to optimize their profits. I believe in a free market so it's OK. OTOH a free market allows me to walk away from their offer too.

DW and I each have a BoA account and it was great while it lasted. We are now evaluating other credit cards that have points, miles, cash back, etc. We will have to decide what works out to our advantage as replacements for the BoA NCL cards.

Charlie

Does anyone have experience with other cruise cards? Are they all the same (once this changes) or is there a better one out there?
Carnival has a Sea Miles card. You need 50,000 points ($50,000 charged) minimum to book a 7 night Caribbean cruise. The actual amount of points needed will vary by cruise and cabin category. The 50,000 will be for a Cat 1A which is the lowest category inside and has bunk beds (really).

$50,000 charged on the Compass rewards program would give you three $500 certificates.

Oh, did I mention that that is per person so you get a free cruise in an inside cabin with bunk beds after charging only $100,000:eek:

You could also use the points for discounts on cabins that is actually a better deal than the free cruise. But, you cannot apply the discounts with any other discounts like senior rate, resident discount, military discount, etc.

Charlie

As I was told by a B of A Supervisor, the Worldpoints card is a low budget card for the cruiselines to offer something to their passengers. It is also a fallback card when they want to close a better card to save money. Many golf courses have done it also.

Then he offers B of A Signature VISA to me with a great list of perks like airport club entrance for free showing the card. So I will wait to receive this new card with its welcome package. If it is truly $50,000 for a $500 cruise credit then I will go to Signature VISA.

I have 435 points, I need 65 more to get to 500. So if I charge $1700 on my BOA Ncl card toward my 8/09 cruise will I STILL get that $500 certificate IF I need to carry a balance into early '09???

I have not seen this question asked at all.

Anyone have a answer???:confused:

I'd rather not mess this up - so let me run this by folks who understand NCL much better than me.

I'm 27 points short of 1,000.

If I charge my deposit for two cabins on the Cruise I think I'll be taking I should have enough points to get two certs at years end (or in January).

If I have to change my plans, I can get my deposit back and apply it to another booking - so long as I do it more than 90 days out and exercise the certs for payment within one year of issue.

Will this work?

I'd really like to see what happens with the Dream since that deal fell through - bet we'll see some killer deals.

I'd rather not mess this up - so let me run this by folks who understand NCL much better than me.

I'm 27 points short of 1,000.

If I charge my deposit for two cabins on the Cruise I think I'll be taking I should have enough points to get two certs at years end (or in January).

If I have to change my plans, I can get my deposit back and apply it to another booking - so long as I do it more than 90 days out and exercise the certs for payment within one year of issue.

Will this work?

I'd really like to see what happens with the Dream since that deal fell through - bet we'll see some killer deals.

Neal

IMHO it will work. Make the booking (you need $900 in NCL charges for the 27 points that you require). I would apply the certificates only after you have made a true final decision on the cruise you want.

Note: This advise is free and therefore comes with my unheard of triple your money back guarantee:D

Charlie

On the day your billing cycle ends just pay the balance online, or at a branch. Then as soon as your payment posts call in for the certs. Actually, if you reach the monthly limit (or whatever you need to reach your next 500 cert) just pay the balance then, you don't have to wait until your cycle ends. If you pre-pay, you will have a zero balance when your cycle ends and can call for your certs the same day.

I don't believe you have to make payment to get points. When the billing cycle ends, the points are posted to your account and I believe you can redeem them right away, regardless of making payments. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Good luck!!

Neal

IMHO it will work. Make the booking (you need $900 in NCL charges for the 27 points that you require). I would apply the certificates only after you have made a true final decision on the cruise you want.

Note: This advise is free and therefore comes with my unheard of triple your money back guarantee:D

Charlie

That's what I was planning to do. Put deposit down now, get enough points for $1000 in certs and use them at final payment.

Am I correct in assuming that final payment (and cancellation fees) are still due at 45 days out on a 7 day cruise with NCL?

That's what I was planning to do. Put deposit down now, get enough points for $1000 in certs and use them at final payment.

Am I correct in assuming that final payment (and cancellation fees) are still due at 45 days out on a 7 day cruise with NCL?

Final is due at 75 on most 7 day cruises.

When I looked at cruise critic's home page recently and saw a turkey, it made me think of you!!!:D

I have 435 points, I need 65 more to get to 500. So if I charge $1700 on my BOA Ncl card toward my 8/09 cruise will I STILL get that $500 certificate IF I need to carry a balance into early '09???

I have not seen this question asked at all.

Anyone have a answer???:confused:

Yes, you'll still get the certificate. I don't understand what you mean by "carrying a balance into early '09" but if you charge $1700 for a NCL product by the closing date of your December statement, you'll have enough points to receive the certificate.

Neal

Charlie

Just one quick comment -- since it looks like you're talking about NCL charges, it looks like you're only need to have $675.00 (4% earnings on NCL charges, not 3%).

Just one quick comment -- since it looks like you're talking about NCL charges, it looks like you're only need to have $675.00 (4% earnings on NCL charges, not 3%).

Might be better to make a deposit on just one cabin and overpay by a bit.

Anybody heard what the Dream is doing after her Boston/Bermuda gig now that her sale has fallen through?

Final is due at 75 on most 7 day cruises.

When I looked at cruise critic's home page recently and saw a turkey, it made me think of you!!!:D

Thanks for the correction. The last Cruise I booked with them was a Holiday cruise and the one before that was an 8-day so the money was due sooner.

And that was bad Turkey! :D But it sure looks like we're going to drive all the way from Mcallen, TX to NOLA for more of it in 2009.

Can't decide if it makes sense to book that or a Bermuda Cruise and visit family in NY.

I was reading over the pamphlet the NCL card had given us when we first signed up. - Norwegian Cruise Line COMPASS REWARDS Program Rules. In the paragraph numbered 13 under changing the terms of the program....

It states that "In case of termination of the program, you may continue earning points for 90 days from the date notice of termination of the Program is mailed." My letter is dated October 1st and my December closing date is on the 12th. That is not 90 days, so are they legally allowed to do this? I know a matter of 2 weeks won't matter a whole heck of a lot, but it may to some people. (I'm making sure I hit my 500 point reward by my November statement)

& I did call the number provided and was endlessly put on hold. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this discrepancy?

I don't post here much but I am always looking in. When there is some problem, I am usually pretty good at getting some anwers, hopefully, they will be the truthful ones.

As I said yesterday, I called BOA and got some pretty decent answers. But, after reading all the comments here, and all the other answers, I wanted to verify sone things, so I called again, and asked to speak to some one who really might know something.

I asked about the 'extra' points that are not yet into a 500 point category. To be honest, I really do not think she knew what to say. I got the distinct impression that BOA hasn't ironed that part out yet. First she said they would be lost, then, after checking, she said that NCL probably would honor them, and then, upon further questioning, she basically admitted she wasn't sure and no one esle was either.

I did ask about using the certificates for next year. I told her about this site and how 100 people got 100 different replies and answers. She told me DEFINATELY, that in the past the certificates had to be used and the cruise taken 1 year after issue. BUT, since the program was closing, you have 1 year to book the crusie and another year to take it. So you can book a cruise in 2009 for anytime in 2010. She read it to me from some paper she had, and she specifically told me this went against the original program, but they were making this exception.

I also called NCL but basically got stonewalled, as they kept saying it's BOA program and THEY decide all things about the program. I asked if they might take a partial points coupon and they gave the company line that it would be for an upgrade, but they didn't know if any exceptions would be made since the program is ending.

Take it all for what's it's worth, but I believe that the time frame to use the certificates and cruise have been extended.

Archived