Compass Rewards Program Ends

Host Kewlguy

Sometimes her advise is hard to hear, but I LOVE HER. Also, something I have actually known for years but didn't think about when I closed my unused credit cards is, part of your credit rating has to do with your debt to available unused credit. So that is another reason not to close a credit card. I think I heard Suze say that you should charge one thing to each credit card every year just to keep them active.

Seems earlier this week she was advising NOT to get/use credit cards right now ... hmmmmmm :cool: :confused:

Seems earlier this week she was advising NOT to get/use credit cards right now ... hmmmmmm :cool: :confused:

No... she is advising, and actually has advised for a long time, not to run up credit card debt. What I was posting was to charge one charge a year to each of your credit cards to keep them active and in good standing. I just said this to extend my posting earlier of how it hurts your credit rating to close out credit accounts. By all means though, we should all be as far out of credit card debt, well, any debt really, as possible right now in our economy.

This was at the beginning of the week when there was a whole lot of confusion. She was on Larry King and said "no one should be using their credit cards right now." I remember that because I remember thinking, "Yeah, well, I have a GREAT credit card, always pay it off each month, and get super-good deals on cruises!" Little did I know ...

I understand that she preaches, "don't use it if you can't pay it off each month!" I agree with that as well ... :)

I think Bank of America / NCL would have been better off keeping the Compass Rewards program, but charge $100 for an annual fee. I know I would be happy paying the $100 so I could still receive $1,000 in Compass Rewards per year.

Enjoy

d man

I think Bank of America / NCL would have been better off keeping the Compass Rewards program, but charge $100 for an annual fee. I know I would be happy paying the $100 so I could still receive $1,000 in Compass Rewards per year.

Enjoy

d man

I know nothing about how the credit card business runs, but that certainly sounds like a great idea to me!

I am definitely disappointed. I'm guessing that I will look for a different rewards program to use, and probably a different use for my points.

Glad I booked my last minute cruise. My rewards certificate just came today and I am mailing it out in the morning. Now I will probably have about 200 stray points at the end of the year.

I am definitely disappointed. I'm guessing that I will look for a different rewards program to use, and probably a different use for my points.

Glad I booked my last minute cruise. My rewards certificate just came today and I am mailing it out in the morning. Now I will probably have about 200 stray points at the end of the year.

Does the certificate say it must be redeemed as payment within a year, or used on a cruise departing within a year?

Does the certificate say it must be redeemed as payment within a year, or used on a cruise departing within a year?

It says that the sailing must take place before the expiration date on the certificate.

The expiration date is one year after the date they printed the certificate. (A couple days after I requested it, but also a couple days before it was postmarked.)

It says that the sailing must take place before the expiration date on the certificate.

The expiration date is one year after the date they printed the certificate. (A couple days after I requested it, but also a couple days before it was postmarked.)

In the past I have used them against cruises that happen after the expiration of the certificate (sent them in as payment though before the certificate expired) and had no problems----BUTT, this time, with that particular program ending, I don't think I'll risk it at all.

I'm guessing we'll use our last certificates (from the present program) Nov or Dec '09

With NCL Platinum Plus it was 3 points for everyday charges & NCL was 4 points per $1 now we get 1 and 2, so 2/3 to 1/2 off. So when we see the welcome package for what is covered & what we actually are getting, then we decide to keep or change or just close BOA since they are not in Ohio.

Other credit cards are doing cruise rewards, unfortunately AMEX isn't NCL and they are my long time favorite. I got a mailing from Capital One on a new cards for cruises & NCL is there.

Earn one point for every $1 in net retail purchases in the NCL Worldpoints rewards program. Earn double points for purchases made with Norwegian Cruise Line. Redeem your points for exclusive NCL rewards, such as cruises, upgrades, on board credit and exclusive on board experiences, plus cash back, travel with no black out dates, car rental and hotel rewards, brand name merchandise, or gift certificates.

What happens to people with 380 points, or 495, or 207 etc. at the time the point accumulation ends on 12/31/08? I'd think they should give $1 for $1 certs up to those amounts, but who knows if they will.

At least we have until the end of the year to request our certificates. What with Holiday shopping, entertaining, and my DD's Birthday, I will make it to ANOTHER $1,000 certificate....!!!:D

I have multiple NCL cards, and juggle them due to the monthly maxes and whatnot, so in one sense, it will be nice to no longer worry about the spending caps, however, I'm willing to wager the benefits are going to be cut down to 1% down from the 3% we previously received. If that's the case, I'll likely get a RCL or Carnival card as well, or just a cash back or Citibank Thank You points card to give me more options.

I don't know what I will do, we will probably just use our Discover card......:)

We love cruising on NCL, but the certificates definately played a huge factor in our loyalty to one line. Compass Rewards was a great program for consumers, and the cruise savings we've received over the years definately helped instill that loyalty from us, but I'm sure it was too costly to BOA in the end, especially in this economy.

We love cruising on NCL too and those certificates DID play a BIG factor in our loyality. For us, I was able to book a Suite and feel OK about it, because I knew I would be plunking down up to $2,000 in certificates. THAT was a GOOD THING.....!!!:D :D

I'm sure we'll still cruise NCL, but it won't be as frequent, and won't necessarily be option #1. Bummer.

I feel the same way too. Now, our cruises will be chosen by the itinerary, departure port and the lowest price.

I feel the same way too. Now, our cruises will be chosen by the itinerary, departure port and the lowest price.

I like cruising NCL too, but the rewards program gave me a reason to consider an NCL cruise first. I agree that now it will be based more on itinerary and price.

I like cruising NCL too, but the rewards program gave me a reason to consider an NCL cruise first. I agree that now it will be based more on itinerary and price.

Still need to research which card makes more sense to use now (goodbye BOA!) It could even be one I already have and haven't been using.

Right now between our 4 cards, we have $3,500 in points and will work to round our leftover points up to the 500 point mark before the EOY cutoff.

We figure we will have at least $4,000 and maybe $4,500 in redeemable rewards in January.

That should give us 3 more cruises on NCL. After that, we are not sure if we will sail with NCL again. We have sailed Carnival and RC before, but the NCL card gave us a reason to book with NCL.

We will look at itinerary and costs and decide if it is worth sailing at all versus land vacations.

It was fun while it lasted.

With NCL Platinum Plus it was 3 points for everyday charges & NCL was 4 points per $1 now we get 1 and 2, so 2/3 to 1/2 off. So when we see the welcome package for what is covered & what we actually are getting, then we decide to keep or change or just close BOA since they are not in Ohio.

Other credit cards are doing cruise rewards, unfortunately AMEX isn't NCL and they are my long time favorite. I got a mailing from Capital One on a new cards for cruises & NCL is there.

You NEVER make any sense! Do you read your response before you hit the Reply button?:mad:

Unused points will be applied to the World Points program. Your NCL Compass Rewards credit card will automatically be converted to the NCL Worldpoints credit card program.

I had an icruise Visa prior to the NCL BOA card. Once BOA took over, they changed my Icruise Visa to a Worldpoints card.

I immediately cancelled that card out. I thought the benefits sucked.

Now, this all over again.

*sigh*

I'm devastated.

I had an icruise Visa prior to the NCL BOA card. Once BOA took over, they changed my Icruise Visa to a Worldpoints card.

I immediately cancelled that card out. I thought the benefits sucked.

Now, this all over again.

*sigh*

I'm devastated.

There are a lot of depressed NCL cruisers today. I always had a gut feeling the program would end sooner rather than later. When I opened the envelope I can't say I was surprised. All good things must come to an end.

Archived