Compass Rewards Program Ends

Host Kewlguy

You can request two $500 vouchers. You then mail them directly to NCL.

I'm just curious--there is a $1,000 discount listed for 1,000 points. Are the discount vouchers only issued as $500 certificates, and thats why I would order two? Otherwise I would have thought I would be ordering a single, $1,000 discount certificate.

I was reading about the let down because usually the large amount had let one passenger enjoy suites--which is pretty much what I thought I was on my way to doing, and I was targeting Christmas 2010 with a $3000 discount, but now a $1,000 discount at Christmas 2009 will not push me into the category of stateroom I had been thinking about. We all have our own budgets, though, and the mini-suites look nice.

I'm just curious--there is a $1,000 discount listed for 1,000 points. Are the discount vouchers only issued as $500 certificates, and thats why I would order two? Otherwise I would have thought I would be ordering a single, $1,000 discount certificate.

I was reading about the let down because usually the large amount had let one passenger enjoy suites--which is pretty much what I thought I was on my way to doing, and I was targeting Christmas 2010 with a $3000 discount, but now a $1,000 discount at Christmas 2009 will not push me into the category of stateroom I had been thinking about. We all have our own budgets, though, and the mini-suites look nice.

The cert's. come in $500.00 denominations to be used for stateroom discounts. So, yes if it's 1000 you have they will send you two.

Retiredonthesea

OK - so here's a trick question. We're booked for April 09 (3 cabins) with final payment not due until January. While one would normally wait until the very end to make final payment, does it make sense to pay early (prior to Dec closing date) to get the extra credit? We're not getting to 500 any which way we do it anyway and this SOUNDS logical but sometimes when passing logic through my brain, it reaches a fork and takes it!

Not a trick question at all ... a very creative mind! I've done this very thing and it works beautifully :D When I run out of family and friends for me to beg to pay their bills, I begin thinking creatively ... like you! I had a large final due and just paid a chunk of it early on my NCL cc. That got me to the points needed to pay off the rest of the final.

Enjoy your cruise ...

Reading the FAQs our timing has to be perfect to maximize final total.

NCL is terminating the Compass Reward program. In accordance with the program terms and conditions you will be issued a Compass Reward certificate based on your point balance as of December 31 , 2008. You will receive your final certificates in January 2009.

Since points are not posted until your statement is issued I fear the final balance will be as of your December statement, Nov. and early Dec. charges.

Keep in mind there are almost wrothless upgrade certificates that are less then 500 points so expect to get them as well.

I just dug out my B of A NCL Compass Rewards Program Rules that came with my charge card dated 2006:

"In the case of termniation of the program, you may continue earning points for 90 days from the date notice of termination of the program is mailed. 120 days from the date notice of termination of the program is mailed, if your cumulitive total of available points is sufficient to qualify, and you meet all other eligibility requirements described in the program rules, then we will send you the appropriate number of certificates. Each certificate issued in connection with the termination of the program will be honored by NCL for 365 days from its date of issue."

Tells me that if notices went out Oct.1, 2008 then you should be able to use the account till Jan.1, 2009 (90 days). Then Feb.1, 2009 (120 days), if that is 120 days, they will send out the certificates good till Feb.1, 2010, the following year.

I'm reading all the various responses people are getting from BOA and I think the best advice I could give someone is assume the worst and try to get your next certificate ASAP. Don't put anything past BOA. I'm sure if they had their way they would change this program today but they must follow their own terms and conditions. Once I reach the amount necessary for my next certificate I'll be using another card. Not waiting for January 1st. The way I see it any unused Compass Rewards points will be forfeited.

Thanks martinchem!

I will have to find mine from earlier this year to see if that's changed.

On that subject, a telephone call with BOA told me that rewards after your December statement date would be counted as Worldpoints. I double checked, and said that the letter said Worldpoints start Jan 1. The rep at BOA said that they would start on your Dec statement date.

In an online chat with BOA, I was told that you would earn no points (neither Compass Rewards or Worldpoints) between the Dec statement date and January 1. A completely different answer.

Finally, it may help some -- you can request a change in your statement date. But (!!) be careful.. I did this for the 29th, and they made my due date the 29th, with the statement date for the 9th, losing even more time... so, if you call, be sure they are changing the statement end date, and not the due date.

Good luck!

then it goes to Worldpoints. MC is good til new card arrives mid December for many. Same account # from the one to the other. Rewards Certificate is ue after New Years. Sit with a cup of coffee or a stiff one to read the welcome package to see if you are staying or going to Signature VISA or wherever.

I agree when I read the welcome package fom MBNA in 2005 that states 120 days from termination. But this is BOA. So they can go 60.

We used our first batch of certificates to make a dent in a lovely Med. cruise and are soooo sad to see the program end, guess it was too good to last :(.

Does anyone know if you can "stack" the certificates? For instance use the $500 and also the $200 upgrade on the same cruise???

I just got off the phone with BOA (I now know why I despise doing business with them). I spoke to a rep named Rachel and I asked about changing the statement end date and about the cancellation of the Compass Rewards Program. She transferred me to an automated line. I called back and spoke to Ian. I asked him about changing the statement end date and he said, "that takes 3 - 4 months to process". I started asking him why it would take so long and he hung up on me. So much for great customer service with BOA! :mad:

Long story short, they will not change your statement end date so you can accumulate more Compass Reward Points.

With NCL Platinum Plus it was 3 points for everyday charges & NCL was 4 points per $1 now we get 1 and 2, so 2/3 to 1/2 off. So when we see the welcome package for what is covered & what we actually are getting, then we decide to keep or change or just close BOA since they are not in Ohio.

Other credit cards are doing cruise rewards, unfortunately AMEX isn't NCL and they are my long time favorite. I got a mailing from Capital One on a new cards for cruises & NCL is there.

I'm rsorry to jump in so late and am not sure if someone has corrected you on this yet, but the current NCL card you have to spend $100 on NCL to get 4 points and $100 elsewhere to get 3 points. Not $1 on NCL to get 4 points.

I just got off the phone with BOA too. They did agree to change my closing date to the 29th of the month, but I could tell it annoyed them. The young lady said it would take 2 months to change. I asked for confirmation, and she said they send a letter.

Norredye ~ please call back and try again. I think your guy was in a bad mood. Good Luck.

noreddye - I was able to change my statement end date online in the online chat and was told it would take 1-2 months to process.

I think with BOA customer (dis)service, it all depends on who you get on the other end...

Lyman713, obviously I was (un)lucky enough to get a rep who despises his job that he takes his frustration out on customers. This just make this cancellation of the program even more frustrating when you get poor customer service and multiple answers to questions.

Just got over $2,000 in certificates, but was hoping for me....I wish it wasn't so. Unfortunately, My wife and I will have to switch credit cards, BofA will be losing $40,000 in our yearly transactions....I wanted another cruise card, but that's not happening as I want the best deal. I've done my research: and here is what i'm doing:

I'll be applying for the American Express Hilton HHonors Card as my primary card.

In addition, since american expres is not accepted everywhere, I will apply for the Citi Hilton HHonors Card as my secondary card. This way we can maximize land points.

Researched at: www.apeepa.com

Just applied. Great idea, your recommendation sounds like the next best option.

The sadest part really is that all the other cruiseline credit cards reward programs suck. Not too long ago I reseached all the other cruiselines credit cards for a friend who was interested, and I can't remember which one it was, RCCL or Princess .. but one of them we would have had to have charged like $300K to get a free cruise.

But you have to cruise within one year of the certificate issue date.

No, that is not correct. You only need to book and pay within 12 months. The date of your cruise is inmaterial.

No, that is not correct. You only need to book and pay within 12 months. The date of your cruise is inmaterial.

Quote: "Your cruise must take place before the expiration date of this Certificate." and the expiration date is one year after the issue date.

And it also states "Certificate must be presented with your final payment for the cruise" which we all know is not true. I'm just happy that I was able to use $15,000 Compass Rewards in the past three years. I understand why NCL and BOA did away with this program. I'm surprised that it lasted this long.

Enjoy

d man

Quote: "Your cruise must take place before the expiration date of this Certificate." and the expiration date is one year after the issue date.

While this is correct per the certificate, we have used certs on cruises that were later than one year from the date of the cert. I don't know why, but NCL doesn't seem to follow that specific rule. They may now that the program is ending, but I know in the past they didn't hold you to it as long as the cert was sent in as payment within one year of it's issue.

We were NCL guests 12 times and took advantage of the old rewards program for the last six years. I think someone made a big mistake here and NCL will loose "Bigtime" with the many loyal repeat cruisers. This was fore- shadowed by the rewards program they offered aboard DAWN a few years ago when they offered Cruisers land vacations paired with cruise vouchers. In this day and age of trying to fill larger ships, they're driving business to their competitors.:mad: :( :confused:

I'm hoping that due to the circumstances of the program being cancelled that they'll give us certificate(s) for the total amount of points earned by the end of the year. I am in the same situation with more than 500 points and less than 1000 points.

Robin

I hope so too. This would be the more classy, fair and honest way to do it. If they give us full dollar-for-dollar credit for the points (which is what all of us thought we were getting when we charged things to the cards), I may at some point have another BofA credit card, or take another NCL cruise.

If they just take the points (or transfer them 1-1 to Worldpoints (i.e. your $400 worth of points are now worth $4 bucks), or saddle us with inside-to-inside or balcony-to-balcony upgrade certs (which really are not much of an upgrade at all and are borderline worthless IMO), I will consider that to be a royal screwing, and I will probably be done with both companies for good (unless of course the price on NCL is just too good to be true and I can't sail on some other line for a couple hundred extra bucks - which I will spend to avoid NCL if they do not do right by us).

I think you are incorrect.

i just got off with phone with the compass rewards people, and they told me you have to use it,before end of 2009, and she said not book it use it,so now what do i do? i have like 500 points and i already paid for my cruise with my old rewards. i don't want to go again, can i transfer them? or maybe i'll take a short cruise from new york, hope i helped. larry

Archived