Please someone make me feel better about my flights!!!!

Useless Air is, without doubt, the worst airline in North America.

The 'employees' couldn't care LESS if you fly with them. The on time performance is non-existant, and their slovenly appearance is absurd.

They are in a chase with United for the worst airline ever.

You are on your own and THEY DON'T CARE if your flight is late.

I have flown US AIRWAYS numerous times, business and pleasure. I have never had any issues with canceling flights, one time they had a medical emergency and they delayed our flight, gave us dinner coupons, drink vouchers, and paid for a hotel for the night (we didn't need it because they got a plane and we were on our way). As far are customer service they have always been great with us. I wouldn't worry. Every airline has issues,I have flown them all. But as I said customer service has always been great with US AIRWAYS. I have to agree we have paid for deviations. I always try to fly out the day before. I would just relax and enjoy. RCCL booked your air so you will be fine. Have a great trip :D

Thanks again for all your replies...:D I think I will talk with my family this weekend and see if we can change our flights to the day before. If not, then I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Thanks again

Erin

I don't disagree with other posts, but I think the unique factor here is PHL. I lived there for 10 yrs and flew from there often. Unfortunately, it was always a roll of the dice. I understand other airports are also high risk (JFK, LGA, EWR), but the US Air / PHL combo always seems to be incident prone.

OP - You do have 1.5 hours between connections, and that may be enough. Good luck!

US Air has hubs in PHL and CLT. I would be very concerned if you are connecting in PHL, which is notorious for delays.

thank you for your quick reply....yeppers, we are connecting in PHL....ugh!

Erin, here is the good news.

I am a native Philadelphian, and read whatever is published in the local paper about USAir.

I have been royally mangled by them in the past. I missed a cruise on the Jewel because of USAir's problems.

The good news is that things have improved drastically.

USAir's record at PHL has improved by quantum leaps.

Relax. You will be fine.

(please be aware that this is not a legally enforceable guarantee. On the other hand, if you get stranded in Philadelphia, you *may* call me and I will rescue you. :))

Erin, here is the good news.

I am a native Philadelphian, and read whatever is published in the local paper about USAir.

I have been royally mangled by them in the past. I missed a cruise on the Jewel because of USAir's problems.

The good news is that things have improved drastically.

USAir's record at PHL has improved by quantum leaps.

Relax. You will be fine.

(please be aware that this is not a legally enforceable guarantee. On the other hand, if you get stranded in Philadelphia, you *may* call me and I will rescue you. :))

It's called "Carol to the rescue".........and when she says something like this.........she means it!!

I too, think that you will make your connecting flights just fine.

Relax.......and enjoy your flights......and cruise!!

Rick

Thank you everyone for your responses...this is a family cruise (parents, siblings, etc) and we are extremely excited! Our flights leave Toronto at 6:45am to Philly at 8:20am, then we leave Philly at 9:50am landing in San Juan at 1:45pm.

I am concerned because there doesn't seem too many other flights from Toronto to San Juan that day if our first flight is cancelled and if the second flight is cancelled (or our first one is late) our options are few to get us to San Juan.

Our first cruise we flew in the day of, and our flight was delayed. We made it to the ship on time, but with no time to spare. I swore I would never do that again, and have since flown in a few days before our cruise. This time, since there is a large group of us, my parents handled all the details. So.....we are flying in the day of. It can't be changed, so I guess I should just relax and enjoy.

One other question though, if our flights are cancelled/delayed and we miss the ship, will Royal have to get us to the next port of call (Aruba, in this case)?

Thanks again

Erin

As long as you booked the trip with insurance, They are responsible for getting you to the next port along with putting you up for the night.

Mike

As long as you booked the trip with insurance, They are responsible for getting you to the next port along with putting you up for the night.

Mike

Careful, careful. Trip insurance provides only financial relief after the fact. Just like home owner's insurance -- when your home is damaged, you file a claim with proof of the cost of repairs. With trip insurance, you file a claim with proof of out-of-pocket expenses that are covered by your particular policy. Not all trip insurance is created equal, the devil's in the details (or in this case, in the fine print that everyone SHOULD READ.)

There is no insurance agent or cruise line agent manning the phones 24/7 waiting to book you on a flight and reserve a hotel room. Yes, you notify the company of a potential claim as soon as possible, but you are on your own to make arrangements.

Spend some time on the "Cruise Air" board and learn that cruise air is supplied as merely a "convenience", and trip insurance is limited to the terms and conditions of the contract.

Careful, careful. Trip insurance provides only financial relief after the fact. Just like home owner's insurance -- when your home is damaged, you file a claim with proof of the cost of repairs. With trip insurance, you file a claim with proof of out-of-pocket expenses that are covered by your particular policy. Not all trip insurance is created equal, the devil's in the details (or in this case, in the fine print that everyone SHOULD READ.)

There is no insurance agent or cruise line agent manning the phones 24/7 waiting to book you on a flight and reserve a hotel room. Yes, you notify the company of a potential claim as soon as possible, but you are on your own to make arrangements.

Spend some time on the "Cruise Air" board and learn that cruise air is supplied as merely a "convenience", and trip insurance is limited to the terms and conditions of the contract.

You're right on the insurance.

If you encounter a mechanical or weather related delay, most cruise lines will hold the ship for you or make arrangements for you to meet the ship at the next port of call.

The cruise lines will handle your baggage and provide transfers from the airport to the ship and back.

Depending on when you book, the cruise line may be able to secure you a better air fare.

If, for some reason your cruise is cancelled or re-scheduled, the cruise line will refund the cost of your airfare along with the cruise.

Many cruise lines offer extremely attractively priced First and Business Class upgrades.

Thank you again for all your replies,

Just one last quick question.....:rolleyes: ....does anyone know if we would clear customs in Toronto or when we got to Philly? And....do we have to collect our luggage in Philly and drop it off again, or will our luggage be taken from Toronto straight to San Juan?

Thanks again everyone :)

Erin

Thank you everyone for your responses...this is a family cruise (parents, siblings, etc) and we are extremely excited! Our flights leave Toronto at 6:45am to Philly at 8:20am, then we leave Philly at 9:50am landing in San Juan at 1:45pm.

I am concerned because there doesn't seem too many other flights from Toronto to San Juan that day if our first flight is cancelled and if the second flight is cancelled (or our first one is late) our options are few to get us to San Juan.

Our first cruise we flew in the day of, and our flight was delayed. We made it to the ship on time, but with no time to spare. I swore I would never do that again, and have since flown in a few days before our cruise. This time, since there is a large group of us, my parents handled all the details. So.....we are flying in the day of. It can't be changed, so I guess I should just relax and enjoy.

One other question though, if our flights are cancelled/delayed and we miss the ship, will Royal have to get us to the next port of call (Aruba, in this case)?

Thanks again

Erin

One good thing is that you are travelling this month so de-icing (which causes most winter delays) won't be a problem.:D

Kathy

This last question of yours is probably the most important one. I believe you will clear US Customs and Immigration in Toronto before you leave. I'd call US Air and check on this because if you don't do so in Toronto, it will be very hard to clear immigration, get your bags, clear customs, put your bags back into US Air, and make your connection. As I said, I believe Pearson is set up to clear you in Toronto, but you should definitely check this out now. They can also tell you how far ahead of time you need to be at the airport to get all this done before flight time!! Good luck and have a great vacation.

You will clear US Immigration and Customs in Toronto, so your connection in Philadelphia will be domestic to domestic (i.e. you won't have to retrieve your bags in Philadelphia). Do make sure though to plan your arrival at the airport in Toronto to give yourself enough time to go through US immigration.

You will get the most accurate and complete answer to this question if you post on the "Cruise Air" board. In particular, read the sticky on "Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation".

Essentially if you have purchased "cruise air" (and this holds for whatever the cruise line may be), you likely have "consolidator" tickets. The airline has completely fulfilled its obligation to you once you (and your bags) arrive in San Juan.

RCCL (just like every other cruise line) provides cruise air as a "convenience" and is not responsible for either booking you on a flight to catch up to the ship or paying for a flight to catch up to the ship. Read the fine print, it's all there. Now, as a courtesy, the air dept at RCCL may (but only may, and if there is someone on duty) help you book a flight, but you are responsible for paying for the flight. This eventuality is the purpose of trip interruption insurance.

It is an urban myth that the cruise line will a) hold the ship for you (although this has happened on rare and specific occasions and only perpetuates the myth that it will happen for everyone) or b) book and pay for flights to get you to the next port.

Archived