What ever happened to the Orient Express Boat Train ?

cunard_cruiser

My wife and I travelled on it in 2002 en-route to our QE2 mini cruise, at the time she was 'just' a girlfriend but she came back a fiancee and the rest is history as they say.

To be fair I know why it went, on our trip I don't think more than about 20 people used it so it probably didn't cover its costs but what a way to arrive at the greatest ocean liner!

If nothing else it would have been nice if cunard had tried to re-instate it for the last few send off trips, Last TA, round Britain etc. I'm sure they wouldn't have been short of people wanting to use the 'boat train'.

John

Cunard did not market it properly (or indeed at all) so there was limited demand which led VSOE having to cancel several trains. With poor business from Cunard VSOE declined to continue the service in 2008......and looks like they will not be re-starting in 2009 either. It was a wonderful way to arrive in Southampton, next to the QE2 or QM2. Very short sighted by Cunard to let this fail.

Cunard did not market it properly (or indeed at all) so there was limited demand which led VSOE having to cancel several trains. With poor business from Cunard VSOE declined to continue the service in 2008......and looks like they will not be re-starting in 2009 either. It was a wonderful way to arrive in Southampton, next to the QE2 or QM2. Very short sighted by Cunard to let this fail.

so now they offer Megatrain instead! ,-)

MEGATRAIN - unless someone else is paying.

If my maths is right you could take Megatrain about 20 times for one trip on the VSOE......

btw - Ventura is in port on 10/10......so there will be 3,100 P&O passengers heading to Southampton as well as the QE2/QM2 pax......:eek:

Peter, Guernsey

If my maths is right you could take Megatrain about 20 times for one trip on the VSOE......

btw - Ventura is in port on 10/10......so there will be 3,100 P&O passengers heading to Southampton as well as the QE2/QM2 pax......:eek:

Peter, Guernsey

Peter,

I believe I'm taking the same train with you and Reint. Has the train ever been so full they have had to turn people away? I'm a little concerned considering all the ships in port that day, and all the luggage that will have to come on the train. As I recall, there is not much luggage room so it meant putting it in seating areas.

Ernie

ps - looking at the schedule for Southampton, I believe the AMADEA will also be in port. So four ships. It will be a busy day!

Peter,

I believe I'm taking the same train with you and Reint. Has the train ever been so full they have had to turn people away? I'm a little concerned considering all the ships in port that day, and all the luggage that will have to come on the train. As I recall, there is not much luggage room so it meant putting it in seating areas.

Ernie

ps - looking at the schedule for Southampton, I believe the AMADEA will also be in port. So four ships. It will be a busy day!

Ernie,

I have taken the train down on a 4 ship day (I was on the Golden Princess, I forget what the other ships were), and the train was a bit of a zoo with luggage blocking the corridors......however, it was a train around 10.00 arriving before noon - so I hope by the time the 11.39 goes most of the rush will have gone....despite what the cruise lines say most pax want to arrive (and queue!) early......I assume the Amadea is making a port call, rather than embarking passengers - so I doubt we'll have many from her onboard. The worst that will happen is people having to stand.....

Peter

We have taken the train several times from London on 3-ship days: never had a problem finding seats, but it is pretty full.

One trick we learned for our luggage was to watch for one of the doors on the train marked with bike racks signs and we piled our luggage up there.

We have not had any problem leaving it although I walked back and looked at it occasionally.

David

What is this blasted Mega train then, feel like I am missing out by not knowing anything about it - but then again....

John

Do yourself a big favour and find out about it then! Megatrain you book on line in advance - it's a special carriage set aside for Megatrain ticket holders - you could find yourself travelling from NW England to Euston for a mere £10!

How harsh are the Inspectors on board the trains if you have a mega train ticket but are in the general section of the train because of overcrowding? Has anyone experienced it?

Peter,

Is this true, we have to sit (or stand) in a designated carriage? If it's jammed packed and the rest of the train is empty we can't move?

Just curious.

Ernie

Peter,

Is this true, we have to sit (or stand) in a designated carriage? If it's jammed packed and the rest of the train is empty we can't move?

Just curious.

Ernie

It is a condition of our carriage - so I guess the answer is 'yes'. However, I suspect it may not be a problem as i) sometimes they don't specify which coach is the megatrain one and ii) when they do it sometimes discourages non-megatrain passengers from boarding it. And if it is packed, I say make TransatJon and his £1 ticket crew stand!;)

Peter

It is a condition of our carriage - so I guess the answer is 'yes'. However, I suspect it may not be a problem as i) sometimes they don't specify which coach is the megatrain one and ii) when they do it sometimes discourages non-megatrain passengers from boarding it. And if it is packed, I say make TransatJon and his £1 ticket crew stand!;)

Peter

Peter

I have never travelled on Megatrain but I have seen the stickers identifying the carriage/s that have been chartered so are yo saying that they don't always identify the relevent areas because the train operator would not like 2000 megatrain passengers on his train when he has only been paid for 250, especially as they would be travelling at the expense of full fare payers. Doesn' make sense to me.

so are yo saying that they don't always identify the relevent areas because the train operator would not like 2000 megatrain passengers on his train when he has only been paid for 250

No. I think its simply that some of the conductors are lazy about putting the stickers up....and I'm pretty sure megatrain are limited on the number of tickets they can sell per train......

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

For whatever it's worth, my girlfriend and I recently went on QE2 at the end of Aug. We took the train (Southwest Trains) to/from London. On the way there, we departed about 9:30 AM... no problem at all with luggage and seats. But on the return (we departed Southampton at about noon), wow - no space for luggage or seats. We had our luggage (along with several others) piled up several suitcases high in the area intended for the bike racks. No seats to be had, either.... we stood (along with about 12 others) for the whole journey. Making matters worse, there really isn't a lot of time to get on/off trains at the stops.... so if you have to get bags off (or if someone who's bags are underneath yours has to get off), then it can be quite an event!

Best advice I heard was that, if it's crowded, then get on in the First Class car and when/if the ticket checker comes around, just pay the penalty difference.

Good luck!

P.S. just to cast my vote... I would love it if the Orient Express came back. I'd gladly pay the difference in fare... heck, it's not like I'm taking it every day!

It's a pity there isn't even an ordinary Boat Train like there used to be for all but the smallest ships. Our last P&O cruise (on the much-loved SS Canberra) was in 1991 and we were told that was the last year of the boat train service to the Western Docks. P&O uses Pier 106, now called the Mayflower Terminal. The reason given was that the track was being severed from the main-line. But the tracks to the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal appeared to be intact on my last visit a few months ago.

We used the boat trains many times both to and from the Southampton docks. It was a great convenience.

We took the VSOE in 2005 and it was a memorable way to see the QM2 for the first time. I remember actually trembling with excitement as we approached her and she took up the entire view. Then it was off the train and straight into the terminal - fantastic way to arrive and I'm sad that it is not an option anymore.

I know it was expensive but I have no regrets :)

Archived