Combi vs. Chicco strollers

sprite

Hi all - will be taking 7 mo on cruise in March so I'm looking into a used comfortable umbrella stroller for the trip. I'm thinking of going with the Combi or Chicco brands. They both seem to have the features I'm looking for (reclining seat, compact fold, lightweight) and the only big difference is that the Chicco has the adjusting leg rest which I think might be better for DD.

Is one brand better than the other or are there other features I'm overlooking? I don't want to take a full-size since our 3 yo DS will also be going and he's going to have an umbrella stroller of his own.

Thanks!

We bought a Combi two years ago and it has held up for a 25-30 pound toddler, through Disneyland and Disney World twice, plus every day use. The front wheels sometimes (ok, a lot) get stuck going the wrong way and you have to lean the stroller back a bit to get them aligned right again. That's my only complaint. We haven't taken it on a cruise, but we regret not taking it (took the cheap umbrella stroller instead) on the January cruise.

katerkat: so it sounds like taking a cheap umbrella stroller is not a good idea? would you elaborate? We're not in umbrella strollers just yet and I've not cruised with infants before...so I'm trying to figure out what kind of stroller to take for my twins (i've heard not double strollers).

I don't think the cheap umbrellas are bad...just ours. ;) Literaly, we took the one we got for free after spending $75 at Babies'R'Us. It didn't steer well, the handles were way short, I had to carry my bag and drink since there was no basket or cup holder, and I suspect, given the amount of time he wanted to walk, not very comfy for the little dude. We thought it would take up less space. Since we already had the Combi, we should have just taken that - it doesn't take up that much more space! (That being said, this most recent cruise, we completely forgot to bring ANY stroller, and the three-year old did just fine. Though, the only place on the cruise we did any real walking was Cabo. Though, we went to Disneyland after and never did rent a stroller.)

I bought a Combi Flash for Disney when DD was 2 mo. At first I loved it, but then as DD weighed more (and I used a Maclaren more) I hated it. DD now weighs 30 lbs and my Maclaren steers prerfectly. Combi was sold at a yard sale.

Combi cons-

1- older styles have very short handles

2- sometimes comes unfolded when checked on an airplane

3- sun snade small

4- as child weighs more, steering stinks

5- basket underneath worthless

6- toddlers are too big for it, stroller is narrow

When we took my DD to Disney at 14 months, my parents offered me $$ to buy a new travel stroller they disliked it so much!

Hi,

I had to add that I bought a Peg Perego Aria OH stroller from ebay - new for $85.00 specifically for travel. I have a 32 lb. 2 year old. It's a great little stroller - 10 lb. and folds and stands on itself and about 10" wide with a handle on the side for carrying. It has a nice tray in front, huge canopy and is fully reclinable with a very large basket underneath. These were my criteria when researching. I am very pleased with mine and it fits william just perfectly. It has ample seating and will be great for a long time.

I have to second the Peg Perego Aria. We have brought ours on all 6 of our daughter's cruises, from age 6mo-3yrs and we love it! Its lightweight, will fit through all doorways and ramps including the cabin door, can fold up small enough and be stored in the cabin closet, has snack, tray, cup holder, full recline, large sunshade. Never a problem with tendering or taxi's in port and can hold most infant carseats. It really is the best stroller for traveling.You can get one brand new at Albee baby for $99.

Julie

I too like my Aria and have taken it to many places. Only drawback is some airlines do not allow it as a carry on as it doesn't fold up as umbrella stroller.

Wow, which airline? We have flown with ours on Southwest, Delta, Airtran and Continental and always just checked it at the gate with no problem. We havent flown since they added the fees for extra baggage though so the rules might have changed. Thanks for adding this.

US Air and American are two that I know will not take a stroller that isn't the umbrella type at gate check.

I know it wasn't one of the OP's options -- but we really love our MacClaren triumph. You can find them used for very reasonable...

I know you didn't ask about this brand but I love my Maclaren Quest. If you could find one used I would scoop it up. I first bought the Combi Flare but returned it because it was horrible to steer. I got the Quest instead and it's great.

Wow, which airline? We have flown with ours on Southwest, Delta, Airtran and Continental and always just checked it at the gate with no problem. We havent flown since they added the fees for extra baggage though so the rules might have changed. Thanks for adding this.

It was Air Canada - they didn't let me take my Aria even on international flight (which presumably is a bigger plane)

Archived