~~ Newport Beach ??? Yea Or Nay??

worfsmom

Is Newport Beach as nice as it looks?

Still can't decide which way to go once we hit San Pedro to stay for a few days. I guess there's too much to choose from.

Everyone has given great suggestions. I'm now spreading out to search the close towns/cities besides just L.A

It reminded me of a "californian Myrtle Beach"...... or is that just cyber illusions?

Having a problem with car rental..... only one open on Sundays is at LAX.

Would hate to go there to p.u car, great to return there, but what about all the airport costs? do they hit you with that in California too?

Keep the ideas coming, I appreciate them all

Newport Beach is OK...I guess it depends on what you want to do. The beach there is good, but it is cold to swim except in the summer. It is crowded and traffic and parking are difficult. If I were going to spend some time in Orange County, I would go to Laguna Beach instead. It is an artist colony, so lots of galleries and shops, a great walking beach, restaraunts and hotels with great views, etc. Parking is still hard, but it is more of a walking town than Newport, so you can park and just walk. I can recommend the drive on PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) between Newport and Laguna though...esp. around Crystal Cove State Park you will get to see the Southern California coast the way it used to be before all the veiws were obscured by housing developments and hotels.

Just keep in mind for Southern California beaches that we usually swim mostly in the summer where the water might get as warm as 68-70 F...in the winter it is more like in the 50s. It is not Hawaii or the Caribbean!

I'm pretty close to both Laguna and Newport Beach, but I prefer Dana Point. I'm not an ocean swimmer (Dana Point has yucky water) we just like the less crowded atmosphere. Are you going for the ocean swimming or ambience? It would also be nice to know if you are able to spend a few more $$, there are some lovely hotels in those areas. Actually, if you have a rental car and a few days, you would be able to visit all the OC beaches.

I would probably choose Laguna over Newport.

Archived