Alaska cruise: difference between May and late August sailing?

Island Flower

Has anyone done both the early season and late season sailings to Alaska?

My first time was late August and my next trip is in May.

On the Travel Channel, I saw a sailing which showed a LOT more snow on the ground than when I went in August, so I'm thinking that perhaps they shot it on one of the early-in-the-year trips.

Can anyone shed some light on the differences in climate for these two times of the cruise season?

Also, if there's more snow and it's earlier in the year, is there less calving off the glaciers because it's colder and hasn't had time to thaw as much?

Thanks!

:confused:

Hubbard Glacier continually calves throughout the year. I saw calving during May 2000 (see 1st photograph). In September 2005, the same view shows considerably less snow on the mountains. I think that the mountains look much more beautiful with snow. There is no snow on the streets of the ports during May.

Donald.

1602567316_zzz2000Hubbard.jpg.801c253739275d45f2433fc2be6925cf.jpg

259669774_zzz2005Hubbard.jpg.69084df82fd4450492e972b73feb42bd.jpg

Hubbard Glacier continually calves throughout the year. I saw calving during May 2000 (see 1st photograph). In September 2005, the same view shows considerably less snow on the mountains. I think that the mountains look much more beautiful with snow. There is no snow on the streets of the ports during May.

Donald.

Donald --

Thank you so much for the beautiful pics and for giving me something positive to look forward to! :D

I have done the 14 day Alaska in May 2006 and May 2008. I just returned from the 14 day Septenber. I saw more whales on the early sailings. However, on both of the early sailings we could not even get close to the Hubbard Glacier. On the last one, we were right next to it. I did not find the weather much different on either of them. There will always be some rainy days somewhere.

We were on a two week Alaska cruisetour-the last one of the season-a few years ago-I think we left around Labor Day. Our first week land portion had warm sunny weather-rarely needed a light sweater. The day we boarded the ship the weather changed-we saw snow, sleet, fog, and did not see the sun again until we reached Vancouver. The weather in Alaska is so unpredictable, it probably doesn't matter when you go. You will get what you get.

Another big difference between May and August is the length of the daylight - much longer in August. So much so that some nights it really does not get completely dark. If you have a port stop that extends into the evening hours, August is preferred. Of course, it is warmer giving the snow on the mountains more time to melt. Hence your observation of that much less snow.

I went in early-May the first time and mid-September the second time. The weather was much, MUCH dryer in May. Perhaps we just got lucky, but we had about an hour of drizzle in Juneau and NO RAIN in either Ketchikan or Skagway. In September, we got poured on from morning to night in both Juneau and Ketchikan, and even had some drizzle in Skagway.

We, too, were unable to get anywhere close to the Hubbard glacier in May. The bay was FULL of ice, whereas it was not like that at all in September.

I went in early-May the first time and mid-September the second time. The weather was much, MUCH dryer in May. Perhaps we just got lucky, but we had about an hour of drizzle in Juneau and NO RAIN in either Ketchikan or Skagway. In September, we got poured on from morning to night in both Juneau and Ketchikan, and even had some drizzle in Skagway.

We, too, were unable to get anywhere close to the Hubbard glacier in May. The bay was FULL of ice, whereas it was not like that at all in September.

In the month of May what was the temperature and how much warmer was the temps for the month of August?

In the month of May what was the temperature and how much warmer was the temps for the month of August?

I was there in September, not August. The temps ranged in May. I don't think it ever got much above 70, but there were lots of nice days in the 60's. Brisk and clear. I love that weather. Here's a picture taken in Skagway in mid-May: Prettypark-1.jpg

As you may be able to see, there is a woman on the lower right in a sleeveless shirt and shorts or a short skirt.

and is always amazed that people prefer to sail in late summer. In his words, "that is the beginning of the end." Weather-wise, he is referring to. He said he would definitely go in May/June. Less rain. Maybe less snow on the ground in August but less rain than in any other months. I've been hearing him talk about this particular topic for 15 years. I went on a land tour of Juneau in August and, sure enough, it rained EVERY DAY... ALL DAY!

Cheryl

Archived