HMC cabana confusion

code_d

Have been reading different responses to the cabanas on HMC. We are scheduled to go there in January on the Carnival Facsination. We are going to board early so we can reserve one. Our question, is it worth the $225. I read conflicting reports that you do or don't have some one to wait on you. To me having the personal attention to get drinks/food, and keeping people away is what makes it worth it. Also is it comfortable for four adults? Or are we better off just getting a couple of clam shells and getting to know a good server on the beach with a few xtra bucks?:cool:

Have been reading different responses to the cabanas on HMC. We are scheduled to go there in January on the Carnival Facsination. We are going to board early so we can reserve one. Our question, is it worth the $225. I read conflicting reports that you do or don't have some one to wait on you. To me having the personal attention to get drinks/food, and keeping people away is what makes it worth it. Also is it comfortable for four adults? Or are we better off just getting a couple of clam shells and getting to know a good server on the beach with a few xtra bucks?:cool:

You are asking a very subjective question. For ME, a cabana was DEFINITELY worth the $249. I didn't need someone to get me food/drinks and no one bothered us even thought there were lots of people there that day because there 2 ships in port. There is plenty enough room for 4 adults.

If you have to question the whether you want to spend the $ to get cabana I think you'd be better off with a couple of clam shells so you can spend the "extra" money on booze.

For me, its going to be more peace of mind. I'm bringing my mother, who is in her 80's and my mother in law, who is in her mid 70's. I think having a little shade, misting station, snacks already there, etc. will be the best thing for us. I'm planning on getting there early to get in line and get one on the Pride in May. I sure wish they would allow you to book it ahead of time.

We were at Half Moon Cay this past Monday and the cabana was worth every penny of the $225.00 to us !:) With the said, when we left for our cruise I did not intend to book a cabana but just hang out on the beach. After arriving the night before in JAX with our DD and SIL I told them about the cabana's and asked what everybody else thought and we all decided that if there were any available maybe we'd try one. We booked #10 green and loved every minute of it!! Path to bathrooms right behind our cabana, far enough down the beach to not be crowded at all, plenty of shade if you wanted to lay out on the beach in the shade and a hammock right beside the cabana. There is not a specific person to wait on you but the carnival employees come by a few times right after you get there delivering your towels, fruit, vegtable tray, salsa, sour cream, chips, paper plates and cups. Our ice chest with water and soda when already filled when we arrived along with our snorkel gear and floating mats already on the porch for us. Around 1 pm they came and asked if we needed fresh towels and several times stopped and asked if everything was ok. A waiter walks by about every 15 minutes and may ask if you want any drinks or if they don't stop just wave to them and they will come up to the cabana. A waiter stopped and asked if we needed any drinks at about 10 am and I said no, that we were leaving for an excursion but we'd want something at about 11:30 when we returned and he was standing on our steps at exactly 11:30 taking our order for some foo foo drinks.

Around 1 pm we walked down to the buffet(on the road behind the cabanas which is shorter than walking on the beach)and filled our plates with lunch (they do not deliver that to you) and took it back to the cabana and ate at the table and chairs with the airconditioning and fan cooling us off. SIL loved the padded lounge chairs on the porch with the misting fan blowing on him. I found it nice, after getting out of the salt water to be able to rinse off under the shower. We didn't need anyone to keep people away from our cabana as there was not a crowd anywhere near us. One man did walk up and ask if we had a can opener as his beer was not opened and I would have gladly let him use it if we had one but we didn't. We left our things on the cabana when we went on our parasailing excursion and felt fine about everything being fine while we were gone. I might have felt different about that if we had booked one of first 5 or 6 cabanas but where we were located there were no problems.

WE found it very comfortable for four people. But there are only 2 lounge chairs on the porch so if you all want to be laying on loungers at the same time as we did a couple of times, we just pulled up 4 of the regular lounge chairs at sat on the sand in front of the cabana.

A canbana certainly is not needed to enjoy a great day at HMC but it certainly did make our day there special!:)

Well, I'd regret spending $225 just to have a little building with a possibly-working air conditioner and snacks.

Some of us are on a budget!

I do so love HMC, but just sitting on the beach, staring out at the water is all I need. A clamshell (propped up in back to get some breeze) is all I want to spend my money on. That and a couple of cold beverages in the afternoon.

:D

"Worth" is a very subjective thing. That $225 is nearly what I'm paying for my cabin! So, if NOT spending money on something like a cabana which - FOR ME - is an unnecessary expense, means I can sail more often, then I'm just sitting on a beach chair!

If I were there in mid-summer and had several people to split the cost, then I might think it was "worth" it. But for DD & me, definitely not.

Amazing how close we were and never met. We were in cabana #9. Wished I had known that, and we would have stopped by and said hi.

I can't beleive it was you next door :eek: and we never got to meet. Wasn't it a great location?:) Hard to beleive its been over a week now since we were there. Wish we were back there now as our weathers turning rainy and cold here.

We were in cabana #9.

Hi we're deciding which cabana to choose and I saw where you had #9 and I had a few questions if you wouldn't mind.

We're thinking of cabana #8, 7, or 6. Which one is closest to the restrooms and the barbecue area? Do they drive you from the pier to your cabana on the golfcarts?

Also, do you remember the cabana colors? Is 8 pink, 7 peach & 6 dark purple

Thanks in advance!

I wish HAL would also number their cabanas. It's hard to figure out what's what, but this is what I believe the # and colors are. We were in the turquoise cabana on our last cruise and there is a set of stairs between the turquoise and orange cabana that leads to the cart path. Beyond that are the restrooms and BBQ hut. The taupe cabana is the closest to the tender area, and the violet one is at the opposite end. I know they have a bathroom down that direction somewhere, but I am not sure where. Looking at the map I have from our visit to HMC, the Food Pavilion is behind cabanas #3-Turquoise & #4-Orange.

We had a butler, so he took us to our cabana. We checked in at a booth (it's to the left as you walk in under the orange entrance thing). We then went to the right of the booth and waited for the golf cart. I don't remember exactly how many people it accommodates, but it seems like 8-10 or so could fit on the cart. I'd say you check in and then get in line and wait for the cart. We rode the cart back, which was fun because the cart circled around and we were able to see part of the island that we'd not seen. It seems like our butler asked a HAL employee to call the person on the cart and circle around and get us.

1. Taupe

2. Blue

3. Turquoise

4. Orange

5. Sky Blue

6. Purple

7. Peach

8. Pink

9. Eggshell

10. Green

11. Gray

12. Yellow

13. Terracotta

14. Red

15. Violet

For us, it was absolutely worth the money. We had an awesome day in the violet cabana last December and have reserved it again for our November cruise. We also had the butler package and the food and service was perfect. We really don't enjoy the buffet; we rarely even eat at the Lido.

To answer your specific auestions, I believe only HAL offers the butler service which is an extra cost. Others on our last trip that did not rent a cabana reported almost no waiters asking for their drink orders. It is definitely large enough to accomdate 4 people. Table with 4 chairs inside and 2 nice loungers on the deck along with misters. HMC is a gorgeous island so whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a wonderful day!

• 1 month later...
Seriously thinking about this.. question as for the drinks and food is this all inclusive in the price???

Without the butler, you get water and soda pop. You also get munchies (chips, dip, fruit) and the BBQ.

With the butler, you get water, soda pop, champagne (I think one bottle-that's what we had), beer, and any of the alcohol/drinks they offer on the island (we had wine and frozen drinks). You also will choose your lunch from a menu (in advance).

When we cruised a couple of years ago this was the menu:

Exotic Fruit Skewers

Mini Lobster Sandwich

Gazpacho

Choice of Brochette BBQ Jumbo Prawns, or Brochette Citrus Chicken Breast, or 5oz Cajun Sterling Silver Filet Mignon

Choice of "Drunken Whale" Fresh Fruit in Myer's Rum, or Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Coulis

If you think you want a cabana, I'd reserve on the day HAL posts them online. They go quickly. If you think you want the butler, you can add that on once your on the ship, or do it in advance. We didn't add the butler package on until we were on the ship. HMC was on the last day of our cruise (before coming back to FLL). If HMC is your first day (after leaving FLL) and you think you want the butler package, I'd reserve it in advance that way all the info will be waiting for you in your cabin when you get there.

Enjoy your day at HMC! :)

Archived