What are your favorite things to do on the first day of the cruise?

DBKK

It seems everyone is in a hurry the first few hours....

I'd say CHILL OUT!!!

Usually I like getting my things in the cabin if possible, if not I hit the deck. It really gets you in the cruise mood when you here that music and people are gathering around the pool.

Sometimes they teach new dance's to do throughout the cruise.

I always do the muster drill... Not fun, but give's you a chance to talk to some people.

Take your time seeing the ship.. late at night or morning time is less crowed. And watching the sun come up all by your self is really nice...

I'm an early bird thou.....

On my first cruie I killed myself to do everything.

Rememer there is no possible way to do that.

Now I do what I want, when I want.....

Relax and have fun.

Amen to this. Relaxing is the best advice after a journey to get to the ship after long preparation to get there. Put bags in cabin and go someplace quiet and just relax watch all of the ships going ON's and have a cool drink.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, About 3 years ago my wife and I took a short cruise on the Majesty out of Miami. After boarding the ship we went to the buffet, had lunch and then decided to take a nap in our cabin until the lifeboat drill. WE MISSED the lifeboat drill. WE woke up when we heard the captain say the lifeboat drill was over and enjoy your cruise. YIKES!!! WE waited in our cabin for about a half and hour and hoped we would not get in trouble.

Scott and Sarah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I'm reluctant to ask this, but it being our first cruise (POA)...where should we be (bow, stern, midship...port or starboard) for the "sail away"?

You should always be behind a drink, usually dockside!:D

john

I'm reluctant to ask this, but it being our first cruise (POA)...where should we be (bow, stern, midship...port or starboard) for the "sail away"?

You should be somewhere with a drink in your hand. Go to the Lido deck, walk around and just enjoy the view! Remember they don't go out of port at 100 miles an hour. It is slow and leisurely. Plenty of time to soak in from many parts of the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Usually onboard before cabin is ready, so we have lunch and a cold beverage. I like to unpack as soon as possible...that's when I am officially off duty! Always tour the spa and other popular areas. Sometimes, lucky enough to get a nap so we can stay up and play. Did I mention a cold beverage???? :)

• 2 weeks later...

On our first (and only) cruise, we embarked way before our cabin was ready.

We ate lunch, and then sat at the Oasis bar, having a (few) beverages waiting for our cabin.

When notified that it was ready, we made our way forward, found our cabin, smiled so hard that it made our faces hurt, and then found another beverage (or two...or three) and enjoyed "sail-away".

We decided that we had a full week to "unpack"!

Mexico, here we come in March!

An addiction to cruising is NOT a bad thing!

All the advice was so fantastic...we did the lunch and drink right away, then checked out the cabin, muster drill, then poolside (adults) and kidsclub (kids).

What a great start to our cruise (NCL Star Mexican Riviera) last Oct thanks to your advice that we are going again this Oct (CCL Conquest Western Caribbean).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get there as early as we can so we can board early. Then make a beeline for the Lido to grab the best tables/chairs and order a DOD. Then order another while only halfway through the first one so we dont have to wait for a waiter to come around after we are out of beverage. Rinse and repeat. Maybe hit the buffet, then stumble to the Lifeboat drill.

With Carnival you basically just wait on Lido until your room opens up. Which I did last cruise. But the next one in 89 days!!! I will board, wander, go eat when I'm hungry, wander some more, and when they announce our cabins availability I will check out the cabin, hopefully our luggage will be there, unpack, make myself at home, light a smoke and relax. When we do the muster drill, I'll be there. I missed our last sail away party as we were in a wedding reception, but this time I will be on deck, smell the sea, feel the air, drink some NA bubbly and wait til dinner, and after dinner. I will be sound asleep! LOL:D

Get on board as early as possible. Get to the room. Change the combo on the safe. Then up topside to the buffet. Then a nice drink of the day, head forward, and wait right next to the ship's horn and wait for the blast!!! Maybe another drink, turn the cell phone off, did I mention ... maybe another drink? And finally we achieve "Total Escape" Oh ya ... somewhere in there is the lifeboat drill thing .... did I mention ... maybe another drink?

We get to the ship first thing! We want to be on the ship as long as we can! The first thing we do once on board is drop off the carry-ons in our room and check it out. Then we make sure we grab our camera and head to the Lido Buffet for some lunch. After that we locate all the "hot spots" and take photos while it's not too crowded. We like to locate our table for dinner, although that will be different with this cruise because we have "your time" dining....

Explore, Explore Explore, then it's time for the always fun "Muster Drill" Say Cheese!

WE check to see if the cabin is ready and drop off carry-ons. Then we explore and get our dinner table assignments, Get the DW a coke sticker and get some food. We always have champagne in the crown lounge for sailaway.

That's when we know we are cruisin.

Archived