Last Minute Cruise booking? Carnival

Hi All!

We have booked our next cruise and everyone can go but my bother in law and his girlfriend. We will miss him and wanted to get some info on last minute booking. This cruise we can drive to the port so realisticly, he could book last minute and drive with us. Has anyone ever booked a last minute cruise with Carnival, Port of San Diego? If have can you please give me an idea of what he may be looking at in cost. He wont care about the room cabin assignment as long as he can get on the boat.

Thanks!!!

Hi All!

We have booked our next cruise and everyone can go but my bother in law and his girlfriend. We will miss him and wanted to get some info on last minute booking. This cruise we can drive to the port so realisticly, he could book last minute and drive with us. Has anyone ever booked a last minute cruise with Carnival, Port of San Diego? If have can you please give me an idea of what he may be looking at in cost. He wont care about the room cabin assignment as long as he can get on the boat.

Thanks!!!

Last minute bookings are a real crap shoot. It could be that the cruise is popular and books up early. Last minute cabins could be only the unpopular types, maybe a 1A with bunk beds:eek: OTOH if Carnival has a lot of cabins open close to sailing there could be a real fire sale.

You didn't say when the sailing is. If it's coming up over Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years even discounted it will be more costly than a lot of other weeks.

Charlie

Sorry, the date of the cruise is 01/23/09 - Out of San Diego.
Using the SWAG method there is a decent chance of him finding reduced rates. However, insides are going for $519 right now. Not a bad rate for 8 nights. If they do go on sale I'd be surprised to find them under $449 even at the last minute.

If he has a price point where he would book I would suggest that he check every day and follow the trends. When and if it meets his goal, book and don't look back.

Charlie

Question - what do you consider "last minute"? Because of Homeland Security issues, manifests are usually finalized 3 days before the cruise, and no cabins are sold after this deadline.

"Last minute" to most people is within 60 days of sailing. Final payment is due around 70 days before the cruise - at that time, you have to pay up or cancel. Sales like 98Charlie mentions often start around then, to fill cabins of people who canceled.

By the last 2 weeks, most cruises are totally sold out. Your BIL could get lucky...but I'd bookmark this cruise with a couple on line travel agencies, and keep checking categories still open/how many cabins in each.

If prices start to rise, that's a bad sign...it means Carnival thinks they'll sell out early, and with no trouble.

Thank you everyone! I spoke with my travel agent too and she said that this sail date is selling fast so he shouldn't hold out if he wants to go. About the same as you have said.

Thank you!

Not to be the Doubting Thomas here.....but.

TA's are in the business of selling. If you have a long term relation with the TA I would trust the info. If not, I'd still be watching the rates.

Charlie

Archived