Kid's birthdays on Princess....?

Luxuriate

My son will be turning 4 years-old the first day of the cruise here on October 21st 2008. I have a couple of decorations for the cabin. This is definitely on the cruise personalizer. Frankly, I don't care if it is the first day or the second day of the cruise but I would like to see something special for the little guy in the kid's play-room. It is a fairly big deal for a 4 year-old. What have you observed?

Thanks,

Cheryl

I think you should call 1-800-princess and ask this question to the CSR.

I would imagine there will be a small birthday cake at your dinner table if you have fixed seating, or if you let the head waiter know in advance in anytime.

As for the Kids Club - that is probably up to you to organize, with the Activities Director and the ship's permission. You might be able to get some desserts from the buffet and take to the Kids Club for his age group, but you would have to check about kid's allergies and ship regulations. It might prove safer and easier to just celebrate with your family.

If it were my child, I would probably bring some balloons with me and then ask my room steward if they could be blown up with helium. Then I would have a couple of wrapped gifts that I'd purchased at home, gifts that the child could use on the trip. Perhaps a water toy, or a new swimsuit, or a monogrammed pool towel.

I would also keep it within the family, and at dinner when dessert is brought to the table sing happy birthday.

Have a terrific cruise! Remember that you are giving him the gift of travel which is knowledge. I think that is one of the best gifts a parent can give.

On a recent cruise, a child's birthday was celebrated in the Anytime Dining Room during dinner. He looked to be about 4-5 years old. The wait staff paraded out with his cake, and they gathered around the table and sang Happy Birthday to him. He was SO excited to be recognized like that. After the cake was served, the wait staff left them alone, and the Mom pulled out presents for the child. You could just see the excitement on his face. It was a nice little party atmosphere that was kept just at that table. No disturbance to the rest of the diners.

I would like to see something special for the little guy in the kid's play-room. It is a fairly big deal for a 4 year-old. What have you observed?

Thanks,

Cheryl

This is something normally not done. If you would like to talk to the kids zone staff after boarding you might be able to arrange something. But Princess will not make the arrangements for this. If they will allow it, it will be on you to decorate and supply whatever is needed for the childs birthday.

Otherwise, it will be a cake and singing at dinner and balloons on the cabin door on his special day.

My son will be turning 4 years-old the first day of the cruise here on October 21st 2008. I have a couple of decorations for the cabin. This is definitely on the cruise personalizer. Frankly, I don't care if it is the first day or the second day of the cruise but I would like to see something special for the little guy in the kid's play-room. It is a fairly big deal for a 4 year-old. What have you observed?

Thanks,

Cheryl

On the first day of the cruise the Kid's clubs are really only open for registration and open houses to welcome the parents and children and provide an overview of the program so I wouldn't think that they could do anything on his actual birthday.

Perhaps you could talk with the program director and ask if they could recognize his birthday somehow on the second day. I wouldn't expect much as they have a pretty packed activity schedule each day and I don't think they would allow a passenger to hold an actual birthday party or have any food in the clubs. However, they might get all the kids to sing Happy Birthday and the counselors could make a bit of extra fuss over him.

I agree that your best bet for a celebration is in the dining room as I can guarantee the wait staff will go all out for him. You might want to check in with the Maitre D' soon after boarding to make sure everything is in place on your first evening since that is his actual birthday. I also think the idea of holding a little celebration in your room with balloons and gifts is a good idea.

My girl turned seven just before a cruise, so I put that in the CP (you can celebrate a birthday within so many days of your cruise so that's okay). I asked one of the counselors about bringing the cake to the kids' area or even to the kids' dinner in the Horizon and she said they can't allow it because of allergies (plus no food allowed in the kids' rooms). I think the counselors gave her a jigsaw puzzle for her birthday.

We ended up eating the cake at dinner, and kept the leftovers in the cabin fridge until we finished it. It was major torture but we dealt with it.:D

Thanks, Cheryl

Have you considered celebrating his birthday before leaving for the cruise. Tell him will be early.... but I would think most 4yr olds might want to be with their friends on their birthday (at least my daughters would have at that age), .....which would be more important to them than the specific date.

That's what I would do .... but just my suggestion.

It was my GS's 3rd birthday on our last cruise. It seemed like every other day he came home with a present... with an "s" and we had to figure out how to get them home as some were quite big. We put balloons and crepe paper in the cabin and a balloon on the mailbox. One night the balloon fell off and their was an emergency procedure necessary as dad ran into the cabin, got scotchtape and reattached it. My GS had firmly explained to them it was NOT his room as there was no balloon.

Archived