Just Back from Spirit (NE/Canada) - Absolutely FABULOUS

boobooboyee

We had a great time....absolutely no complaints. We would definitely do the Spirit again - friendly, warm people; great food and service; lots to do. Get a balcony ! It's definitely worth it ! And the rain did not follow us, after all. We had great weather.

Thanks to all on this board for the wonderful suggestions, information and support. I honestly think it helped the trip immensely. If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them (I'm not much for detailed diaries...)

BB

Whiskers - We had a room on the 10th deck, mid- to front of ship. I wish I could tell you about 9200, but I'm afraid I'm a dummy about such things. I'm sure one of the experts on this site would oblige...Have fun on your trip - you will have a blast, no matter what room.

Uppitycats - Have a wonderful time ! The leaves were just starting to turn, so I'm sure they'll still be very colorful this week.....Say hi to Ian for us! :p

Whiskers - I forgot your second question.....We were fortunate to not have very rocky seas - maybe one night you had to hold on to the rails as you made your way down the steps ;) But other than that - I do have a suggestuion that I actually got from this board: Sea Bands. Web used them the entire 6 days and did not need another blessed thing. Pricey, but well worth it....take it from someone who gets nauseous in the back of a cab.

Thank you for your positive thoughts on the Spirit. We are looking at a cruise on the Spirit in late March. Can you tell me about the ship's decor? Is it primarily Asian themed as I've previously heard? If so, another plus!

We had a great time....absolutely no complaints. We would definitely do the Spirit again - friendly, warm people; great food and service; lots to do. Get a balcony ! It's definitely worth it ! And the rain did not follow us, after all. We had great weather.

Thanks to all on this board for the wonderful suggestions, information and support. I honestly think it helped the trip immensely. If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them (I'm not much for detailed diaries...)

BB

Thanks for the info, we leave on the Spirit out of New Orleans for the week of Christmas!....come on along:D ...and yes we got a balcony on 9!

We're leaving home very early in the morning for our cruise through New England/Canada... I hope you left a few colored leaves for our review! :)

You should still have some. I worked out in the yard today raking golden and red and yellow leaves :D :D

The color is fading and a strong weather system could get rid of what is left, but do have your camera at the ready.

glad you had a great cruise, we will be on her the end of next month (obvioulsy not cruising New England)

Nita

And believe me, Nita, with the temps being what they were this morning up here, that would be a good thing. End of November and something about a well digger's derriere comes to mind. :D

We're leaving home very early in the morning for our cruise through New England/Canada... I hope you left a few colored leaves for our review! :)

From our experience...3 Canada/New England cruises in the past four years....colored leaves depends on the temps., and rain during the summer months...still a "beautiful"l cruise.

October did have the best foliage...even though cold in Canada;)

We also just returned from the Sept. 25th sailing of the Spirit. Regarding the Asian (Oriental) decor, I just want to pass on what the staff told us. Around the middle of October 08, the ship is going into dry dock for a complete renovation. I don't know if they will change the decor. If not, I'm sure they will beautify it since some of the statues had paint peeling on them. While we generally liked the ship, there were some things that could be improved. If you attempt to eat in the Shanghi Bar or Blue Lagoon, they are located in a hallway. That means people are walking by and possibly brushing against your table. When we were on the Gem, the Blue Lagoon was a separate eatery. But the Gem is a larger ship. All in all we found the Spirit to be pleasant.

We also just returned from the Sept. 25th sailing of the Spirit. Regarding the Asian (Oriental) decor, I just want to pass on what the staff told us. Around the middle of October 08, the ship is going into dry dock for a complete renovation. I don't know if they will change the decor. If not, I'm sure they will beautify it since some of the statues had paint peeling on them. While we generally liked the ship, there were some things that could be improved. If you attempt to eat in the Shanghi Bar or Blue Lagoon, they are located in a hallway. That means people are walking by and possibly brushing against your table. When we were on the Gem, the Blue Lagoon was a separate eatery. But the Gem is a larger ship. All in all we found the Spirit to be pleasant.

Blue Lagoon is separate on the newer and larger ships, even on the Star is was pretty much in a hallway, but for what it is meant to be, that really isn't a problem.

Nita

Sorry the sailing was on Sept 29th. We stopped at Martha's Vineyard and while we were able to get off, after noon they stopped letting people go on the island because of the swells in the ocean. Instead of using the usual life boats as tenders, they chartered a larger boat to transport us. According to the staff, they could not go ashore there at all on the last 2 cruises. I think they wanted to get all of us with optional tours on land.

Around the middle of October 08, the ship is going into dry dock for a complete renovation. I don't know if they will change the decor. .

:eek:

I hope they don't mess with it too much. I thought that ship was very pretty.

To anyone sailing on her...you are gonna LOVE it. :)

Sorry the sailing was on Sept 29th. We stopped at Martha's Vineyard and while we were able to get off, after noon they stopped letting people go on the island because of the swells in the ocean. Instead of using the usual life boats as tenders, they chartered a larger boat to transport us. According to the staff, they could not go ashore there at all on the last 2 cruises. I think they wanted to get all of us with optional tours on land.

We also just returned from the same cruise on the Spirit which left NY on Sunday the 28th, btw...:D

We'll be posting a review shortly & provide a link to it. Had a great time despite the tender troubles at the Vineyard. Very relaxing & stress free...just what DW & I needed.

We also hope they don't change too much in the drydock. The Spirit is unique in NCL's fleet & that's what makes it so much fun to sail on.

Tom & Eileen

PS to Siljac - we absolutely LOVE the location of the Blue Lagoon right in the hallway! However, I could see how that could annoy people, so to each their own, as they say..;)

The Spirit is going to do a 14 day repositioning cruise I think late Oct or early Nov and then go into drydock in New Orleans for a few weeks. Probably to fix the engine they've been running without for a while.

We're sailing this weekend (Oct 12) for Canada/New England. Can't wait. Will post a review in the "member review" area when we get back.

Archived