currency in Central america

muffin

Tried to search this, but can't find any answer. Can you use USD in Guatemala and Costa Rica ? Know it is used in Mexico at the tourist shops , cafes, and markets etc. Really hard to guess how much you may need of local currency before you see what is available at what cost so you can get it out of a bank or ATM. Also, if anybody knows... how about in Cartagena too? I usually like to use local currency as a sign of respect for their country, but several different coutries in several days does make it hard. Any opinions? Thx.

• 2 months later...

We did the full Panama Canal transit in March. At every stop (Guatamala, Colombia, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Aruba - didn't get off in Nicaragua), we used USD. We brought lots of small bills ($1s and $5s) so we wouldn't worry about receiving change. Whenever we spoke with a vendor or shop owner, they quoted prices in USD. Please make sure that you have USD that are in good condition. Do not try to pay with soiled, ripped or damaged bills. They must be in good condition or the local banks will probably not accept them from the vendors/shop owners making them essentially worthless.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. We sure did!

• 9 months later...

Typically, most other countries prefer payment in US currency because it is stronger than local currency. (Yes I know, not in Europe or Japan). When you pay in dollars, it's very convenient, but you're probably paying much more than you would if you used local currency. In many places in the world, there is even an active black market that pays a premium for US dollars. Many years ago I lived in a foreign country and made TRIPLE on my dollars by selling them on the black market!

For these reasons, I prefer to exchange my dollars for local currency and then purchase in local money. It's necessary to do a little math to get the dollar cost of an item based on the exchange rate, but I believe the true cost is less.

Many Americans are mathematically challenged and flush with dollars so they prefer doing it the easy way. The locals love it though! Notice that your change will come back in the form of a few pennies of local currency. You would be amazed at the exchange rate they are giving you, if you think to ask! It gives new meaning to the phrase that, "Ignorance is bliss".:eek:

Costa Rica most certainly will take USD. When we were there, a lot of restaurants would list prices in both local currency and USD. When we used an atm, we were able to choose as well. It took me a second to figure out what was going on - I have never seen USD come out of a foreign atm before! I don't know if this is country wide or not, but definitely in Quepos, right next to Manuel Antonio. Enjoy your trip!

Archived