Thousands waiting with bated breath for 9 night Spirit Cruise comments

gallivanter

Embarkation:11am with Latitudes check-in

Disembarkation:11:30am

Life boat drill:10am Saturday

Formal nights:1st Saturday and 2nd Friday; Get to dinner early or long wait.

Chocolate Buffet:10:30pm Thursday

Dining:Garden Room while moving, Windows while docked, no motor running. La Trattoria, once for pasta.

Ports: No tendering

Barbados:Barny - $80 for 4 – 2 hr. tour plus pickup after snorkeling @ Boatyard beach; Bridgetown has the best shopping.

Grenada: Still closed.

St. Lucia:Frank - $200 for 4 – 7 hr. tour including snorkeling @ Anse Chastenet

Antigua:Lawrence - $80 for 4 – Long’s Bay snorkeling instead of Turner’s

Tortola:Walk into town; take Speedy's ferry to Baths at Virgin Gorda.

Yes, you can control the temperature very easily from a wall touch pad. I suggest you turn the air all the way down when first getting to the cabin, it was so hot. The rest of the cruise I was fine with only a light sweater which I mostly carried. The dining rooms were a very comfortable temperature.

About Speedy's and their published times: I know people from our ship used them. We had ship's tickets and had to be at the pier at 7:55. There was no waiting, the ferry was ready for boarding. I don't know when Speedy's ferry left Tortola, but they left Virgin Gorda exactly when we did and there were maybe 25 people on board compared to 200 + on ours. They raced each other back and Speedy's ferry was in better shape. Now, when we got to Virgin Gorda, I was dissappointed because we did not go directly to the baths. We were all loaded into open air vehicles and given a short tour of the island, stopping at 3 picture taking sights. It was beautiful, but most of the people didn't want to get out of the vehicles. Having such a short time to spend at the Baths, we were anxious to get going.

Like many here, I booked the ship's tour at twice the price for a guarantee, but I'm sure Speedy's gives you the same amount of time at the Baths, without the island tour.

I wanted to add that the ferrry took 30 minutes. Going directly to the Baths would take 5 minutes and Speedy's has their own shuttle ( which we were on for the return trip) - It was a community effort to get everyone to the ship, regardless who they bought tickets with. The ride around the island was about 30-45 imutes. A rum punch was included at the Baths with the ship's tour, which is $54 pp.

I have already booked the ship's tour to the Baths, but doing it on our own sure sounds better. I would rather skip the tour and have more time at the Baths. It just sounds too risky though.

Lazygal, just realized you are from Wellington . . . we live in Juno Beach.

Hoosier Contour

Your list is doable with a little tweeking! :) You must contact both Frank in St. Lucia(franktax@hotmail.com) and Lawrence of Antigua(lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com) to arrange for their respective tours to see if they have space available. You do have the correct price for Frank's tour. Lawrence’s tour is $100 for 4 people plus $5 per person for admission to 2 different parks.

The tour operator in Barbados is Barry(246-230-1607). I am including his phone number but we did not arrange anything ahead of time with him. The cost of $80 is correct but we went to Folkstone Park to Snorkel. There is no snorkeling at Boatyard Beach but there is an admission fee of $12 per person.

Trish

Hoosier Contour

Your list is doable with a little tweeking! :) You must contact both Frank in St. Lucia(franktax@hotmail.com) and Lawrence of Antigua(lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com) to arrange for their respective tours to see if they have space available. You do have the correct price for Frank's tour. Lawrence’s tour is $100 for 4 people plus $5 per person for admission to 2 different parks.

The tour operator in Barbados is Barry(246-230-1607). I am including his phone number but we did not arrange anything ahead of time with him. The cost of $80 is correct but we went to Folkstone Park to Snorkel. There is no snorkeling at Boatyard Beach but there is an admission fee of $12 per person.

Trish

Trish, Thanks for the phone numbers and information.

I have emailed Lawrence and he qouted me only $15 for my two kids, so $80 will work, I didn't mention my kids that in the post. He has space available. I emailed Frank in St. Lucia, no response; Cosol in St. lucia is $30+$5 per person. I am second guessing Barry now, it might be worth taking the public bus according. We definately want to go snorkeling at Folkstone. Is the $12 for Folkstone or Boatyard?

Hoosier Contour

Another poster hadn't received a response from Frank and she had a problem with her spam filter so check yours. I emailed him for her. I can do that for you if you want. Cosol is cheaper but he does not supply drinks. Drinks are expensive and few and far between. Also Frank could be less expensive for children I don't know. But I would recommend Frank to the pope! The boatyard is $12 but there is no snorkeling at the boatyard. Folkstone Park is free. Whatever you decide have a great time!

Trish

Trish,

Thanks for the heads up and the offer to email him.

I will send another one and see if he gets back with me.

I am saguine and write before thinking, so my initial thoughts of who and where have been enhanced a little.

FWIW, I have spent literally all week researching, reading reviews, hunting down websites, and reading the forum about the Spirit, all five ports, etc. Very addicting, the anticipation is great!

If we want to spend the afternoon at Barbados just hanging out on a nice beach and would like to do some snorkeling off the beach, would you recommend Folkstone over Boatyard Beach? What are the major differences between the two beaches and how far are they from the port?

Boatyard has an admission fee, Folkestone doesn't. Boatyard is a party beach, Folkestone is a snorkling beach. Since Folkestone is on the west side of the island, the sun sets can be seen from there. We plan on going to Folkestone and travel via the 75 cent public bus. My $.02.

Having been to both, I will also offer up my opinion. Folkstone park is a nice drive, allowing you to see some of the island (we paid $15 + tip for cab in 2001). It is a marine park with facilities, rental station, park tables and benches. (not developed like we would expect in the states) The beach itself is rather rough looking with not much beach. Lounge chairs available for $5. My husband thought I was real dissappointed in the beach, but it was fine. The area is busy with glasss bottom boats, ship's kayak excursions etc. Snorkling was only fair, not what you would expect for a marine park. We even swam out to where the glass bottom boats were. Our same cab driver returned to pick us up. 30-40 minute drive from pier.

The Boatyard is for swimming, sunning, playing and partying, with lively atmosphere and calypso music on the beach. Beautiful beach area with calm roped off waters. There is no reef whatsoever, therefore no snorkling. It's a tradeoff. With snorkling, you get darker waters from the reefs, and rockier swimming conditions. The boatyard is very close to the to town and cab drivers are readily available, leave at your lesisure, no need to arrange for pickup.

We paid $1.00 pp for the shuttle into town and were imediately swamped by taxi drivers wanting our business. We paid $12 + tip to be taken to the boatyard. Return to ship from Boatyard, $3.00 pp + tip.

Which day did I prefer? The Boatyard day. I'm big on snorkling and in hindsight would have booked a morning offshore snorkling excursion with beaching at the Boatyard for afternoon.

Try image googling for both beaches to help you decide.

Archived