GPS Question

OldCodger73

I remember several threads that mentioned taking a GPS along on a cruise. One in particular, a South American cruise from the beginning of the year, maybe Grumpy, mentioned the supplemental Blue Chart Americas map that he added to his GPS.

The map I’d like to add to my Garmin GPS comes either on a CD or an SD card, both priced the same. Is there an advantage to one format over the other?

Thanks

There's no real difference, per se - the data itself is the same. However, depending on your needs and computer expertise, you may get more utility out of getting the maps on CD.

If the map comes on CD, you can use Garmin Mappoint" and "Nroute" and get moving map on the PC itself. If it's on SD, then it's only good in your GPS. One more thing to consider is making sure that your GPS is compatible with these maps - and that it'll accept an SD map card.

My Garmin GPS - a Garmin eTrex Vista, can only receive map data via the PC and I have to download it. Also, I can't dump nautical maps to the Vista - at least I don't think I can.

If you have a Garmin 76 CS or a 76 CXS than either the CD or a micro SD card will do the trick. With the CD ($138.00 at West Marine) you can download additional cruising areas of your choice in North America, Caribbean or South American waters at a additional cost. I think its about $75.00 per additional area.

One tip- if a GPS travels more than a few hundred miles (turned off), when it is turned on it will try to lock onto satellites based on the last known position. When it doesn't find the expected birds, it goes into an extended search. It can take up to 15 minutes to find the satellites and get a new position. My Garmin has a mode where the cursor can be moved to the new location, and this will assist the GPS in getting a position faster. Several friends thanked me for the info, they would have assumed their unit was broken.

One tip- if a GPS travels more than a few hundred miles (turned off), when it is turned on it will try to lock onto satellites based on the last known position. When it doesn't find the expected birds, it goes into an extended search. It can take up to 15 minutes to find the satellites and get a new position. My Garmin has a mode where the cursor can be moved to the new location, and this will assist the GPS in getting a position faster. Several friends thanked me for the info, they would have assumed their unit was broken.

Kenish, can you expand on this a bit? What's the name of the mode and where is it found in the menu? I have a 760.

I guess I'll go with the CD for the supplemental maps. Thanks for your responses.

Archived