Just Back - Prague to Budapest on Rhone Princess

gooselace

A friend and I booked a Collette river cruise. I had traveled with Collette once before, a bus tour in Nova Scotia, and was well satisfied. My concern was with the boat, as I could find only one short review of a CroisiEurope trip, and it seemed to cater mostly to Europeans. Neither of us had taken a river boat cruise before and I wondered how it would compare with what I was used to on Holland America and Princess.

I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. There were 40 in our tour group and probably twice as many in a French group, with its own tour guide, plus a few Germans traveling independently. Between the detailed itinerary from Collette and the Trip Journal provided by CroisiEurope, there was little need for numerous announcements. Those that were made were given in French and excellent English (not sure about German).

Can't say enough in praise of the hardworking, endlessly helpful, seemingly tireless young staff of 25. While many did not speak much English, key personnel did, and all of them knew the communication value of a few key words and a smile. Those who went out of their way to provide a special service absolutely refused tips. Tips were put in envelopes at the end of the trip to be shared equally by all 25.

Breakfast was the same as at the hotel in Prague - undercooked shredded/diced bacon floating in grease; strangely lumpy, runny "scrambled" eggs (or cold hard boiled ones); and many varieties of bread and rolls. At lunch and dinner the food was delicious, even gourmet. For dinner, there was always an appetizer, salad, main course (duck breast, rolled pork roast with a forcemeat center, veal scallopini, terrific goulash), potatoes or pasta, vegetables, a cheese course, and a fancy dessert. A glass of red or white wine was included.

Our cabin was a nice size (my friend said she'd had smaller ones on some Norwegian and RCL ocean liners) and well arranged. The bathroom were small, but efficiently planned, and the closets were ample. Cabins were cleaned and made up daily.

Perhaps others from this tour will chime in with details I've neglected or maybe different perceptions. For my part, I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for another tour on a CroisiEurope ship.

Thanks for taking the time to write a very nice trip report. This forum is so helpful because people do take the time, when they return, to tell about their trips. That sure helps those of us who are still in the planning stages ( and mabye even still in the thinking stages) to make informed decisions! It is very helpful, so once again thank you very much.

micked10

Archived