Giving blood if you go to Costa Maya

davidaperryman

This type of post keeps appearing and I am not sure exactly why. There is no "threat" of contracting malaria on a cruiseship stop. Malaria does exist in certain parts of Mexico and Central America BUT it is rare. In order to even risk contracting it, one would have to make a point of spending the night in a malaria mosquito infested swampy area (and note - only one type of mosquito carries malaria) without any protection.

The chances of contracting it on a beach in Majal are pretty much non- existant. However one should always wear mosquito repellant on any trips into interior swampy areas. Note: when bloodbanks refuse your blood because you have travelled to these areas, they are just being ultra-cautious (as they should be).

After giving over 15 gallons of blood I have also been put on inactive status for 12 months due to a stop at Isle de Margarrita on a last spring. Then I also went to Costa Maya last month so i guess the 12 month clock has started over.

I found this out a few years ago, and have not donated blood since. They always are asking for blood, but with the rise in cruising and travel since 9-11 it seems they are just going to be turning more people away. I was upset, but travel every year. Here is the link to their site that specifies the eligibility on traveling.

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html#trav

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived