Travelling with alcohol on airplane

aries18

Hi,

Could someone offer some suggestions about how to pack alcohol for the plane trip home? We are planning on buying some in Cozumel and curious how everyone handles this. I believe that I can't put it in my carryon, but I could be wrong. Thanks!

Hi,

Could someone offer some suggestions about how to pack alcohol for the plane trip home? We are planning on buying some in Cozumel and curious how everyone handles this. I believe that I can't put it in my carryon, but I could be wrong. Thanks!

Your best and safest route would be to find a place like fed ex or ups store have them pack it and ship to your home.

Your best and safest route would be to find a place like fed ex or ups store have them pack it and ship to your home.

Wouldn't that negate the "savings" of buying it in Cozumel? IMO the only real reason to buy alcohol on a cruise is to get something you can't get at home.

To me, any money I might save buying alcohol while traveling is more than offset by the hassle of trying to get it home when flying.

most stores will wrap the bottles in newspaper. I leave them wrapped up. And then stick then in ziploc bags (2 gallon size works nicely) I double bag em. Then just be sure I stick them with clothing all around to pad them.

I usually have problems with some of my tequila bottles leaking a bit, but never enough to worry about, and it's all protected by the zip loc.

That said this past vaction TSA tore through my luggage at PHX. I had one suitcase that just had a set of sheets and 4 bottles of alcohol (all declared properly). When they went through my luggage after I handed it over for my connection, the ziplocs were no longer sealed, and one was out of the bag, and all the paper had been torn off of it. Could have been a disaster in the making, but fortunately all arrived safely. :)

Make sure you pack the bottles very well. Cushion it with clothing.

We had no problems with our bottles. However, we did see soaked suitcases coming off the ship. I don't know how they wrapped it but it didn't even make it to the airport. :(

I called a UPS store in Tampa airport to inquire about sending a package home. They said that they will not ship alcohol. But if you have it packed ahead of time, they won't know whats in there.

I called a UPS store in Tampa airport to inquire about sending a package home. They said that they will not ship alcohol. But if you have it packed ahead of time, they won't know whats in there.

That's partly true and the company might accept it. It must clear custome in two places, Mexico an USA, so if the contents are intentionally false, you'll probably lose your shipment to confiscation. Carrying it is about the only option to avoid taxing it heavily. I think the tax is only $1 if you have it in your personal possession; shipping I have no idea the tax.

When we bought last March in San Juan the store had a airpillow that they offered for $1 to pack your purchase in. It was great! A plastic sleeve that goes over the bottle and then they fill it with air and it cushions it so no breakage! Don't know if other stores offer this, but if they do it definately is the way to go!

I have one of those small suitcases with the retractable handle and wheels. It's small enough to be used as a carryon, but when I use it for liquor transport, I check it.

The structure of the suitcase is obvious from the inside - there are two channels where the handle retracts. This creates three sections in the suitcase, and I have found these are just the right size for liquor bottles! I put each bottle in its own 2.5 gallon ziplock, wrap it in a soft item of clothing, and place it in a section. Depending on the size, a fourth bottle may fit across the top of the other three, kind of like an "E" shape. I put enough other clothes in the suitcase to keep things from moving around.

Haven't lost a bottle yet! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I frequently bring alcohol home with me. I take some bubble wrap with me wrap the bottle then place it in a zippered plastic bag ( like pillows or blankets come in). Then I put it in my bigger, checked suitcase and cushion it with clothing. I haven't lost a bottle yet! Good Luck!!!

Happy Sailing!

T.J.

Archived