Taormina - where does the ship tender?

Kazowie

I'm posting this on the Azamara board and not the Mediterranean board because I wanted clarification on the way Azamara does it. Taormina is listed as a tender port on our cruise itinerary. On the Med board, it was pointed out that nobody every docks/tenders in directly to Taormina, but that the ships go to Messina and then you would travel to Taormina from there. However, I think it may be possible for smaller ships (per Oceania and Azamara) to tender in to Taormina directly. From what I remember when I read the post, it was somewhat vague and I am looking for a more definitive answer. Does anyone have experience with this? We definitely want to visit Taormina and are trying to figure out if we need to arrange our transportation there from Messina! ;) Thanks for your help!

If the ships itinerary says Taormina as a tender port, then it will tender you to Giardini Naxos.

Ships anchor in Giardini Bay and transport passengers to the dock via tenders. However, the town of Giardini Naxos (about 20 minutes from Taormina) is merely a place to anchor the ship, it's got wonderful beaches (you rent umbrellas and lounge chairs) and numerous watersports operators right by the dock offering scuba and snorkeling trips. Restaurants, bars, gelaterias and cafes line the beach. The Museo Di Naxos (across from the cruise tender dock) chronicles the history and archeology of the area, the first Greek colony in Sicily.

But, Taormina is located high on a mountaintop above the harbor, and is not eady to get to. Ships may offer shuttles (free or at a charge) which start by picking passengers up at the dock in a motorcoach then driving to Lumbi (about half way up) where you are transferred to a mini-van to ascend to Taormina's narrow streets.

Taxis also wait at the Giardini dock and typically charge about 30 euros each way (for six people) -- and tend to be a quicker and easier mode of transportation. Make sure you negotiate that fare before you get in to the cab

For clarification, Giardini is NOT Messina. If your itinerary states Taormina then it will be Giardini. If it says Taormina (Messina) then it will dock in Messina which is considerably further away.

Azamara Quest anchored off Giardini (21 sept 08) with tender to the pier. From there Azamar ran a shuttle bus to the base of a car park at the base of Taormina. We then took the lift 5 floors up to the town.

Taormina was great - not to be missed.

Azamara Quest anchored off Giardini (21 sept 08) with tender to the pier. From there Azamar ran a shuttle bus to the base of a car park at the base of Taormina. We then took the lift 5 floors up to the town.

Taormina was great - not to be missed.

Yes, Taormina is WONDERFUL!!

For those yet to visit, remember that the shops shut around 1.30pm for afternoon siesta, re-opening around 4pm.

"Azamara Quest anchored off Giardini (21 sept 08) with tender to the pier. From there Azamar ran a shuttle bus to the base of a car park at the base of Taormina. We then took the lift 5 floors up to the town."

just to echo the others, its a shuttle bus from Giardini - & if I remember right it cost usd 8 p/p return. By the time we got to the lifts at about 10am there must have been nearly 15 coaches from other cruise lines as well as Azamara parked up nearby & 3 coachloads disgorged their pax at the same time so getting into the lifts & up to the top was chaotic.

I have also been to Messina on X & there you dock & walk off the ship into Messina.

jo

Archived