Scuba training and certs while onboard?

dcappa

I'd like to see if there might be a program on my upcoming cruise, where my husband and I can obtain our scuba certification. I've heard this is a possibility, and if you do this while on board, it may actually include a couple of dive trips as well.

I've been on the Princess site, but don't see any details other than "go to the onboard preferences" section...which doesn't have any info about the above mentioned.

We had fully planned to get our certification here in the states this last summer, but just didn't get to it. We really wanted to dive, and I thought we were out of luck, until a co-worker told me he did this right on his Princess Cruise.

We'll be on the Ruby in January (Western Carib).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nope - not available anymore. Princess did away with their New Waves scuba program and instructors onboard as of this past August - they were all phased out.

You can do the classwork at home or online and then do "referral" dives through a dive operator at one or more of your ports for a fee. Check out the PADI website and they will have more info there.

If you want to forego certification, you can do the "Discover scuba" offered in many of the ports - a mini class, you are accompanied by an instructor on a shallow dive to a max of 30 feet. Gets you a taste of scuba and if you want to go on for the full class. If it is not offered in the shore excrusions on the cruise personalizer, you can go through a private dive operator in the port.

Take a look at shoretrips dot com as they offer certification dives on some islands. They arrange everything for you including equipment rental. You would do two dives on one island and two dives on another and get your certificate. It's no cheap but might be more fun to do in warm waters than cold ones.

I would suggest you invest in the Certification with a local dive shop and hopefully you have one in your town as it is still a a great time to get it done, usually just 2 weekends and the Open Water portion is usually 2 days for 4 dives. A friend just certified last weekend and we are in Canada so the water in a local lake was chilly he said but fine. It's the best way to meet other divers and invest in your local shop. We certified about 15 years ago and 4 of our 5 adult kids are divers. You'll love it! :D

Archived