More info re: Granduer of the Seas - Please?

Just what is the bubble generator? Bubbles like a giant hot-tub? Subtle or Very bubbly?

Not quite the same as a hot tub, because it is air, not liquid. When you look at the pool, you will see a stainless steel plate on the bottom center, about 4 feet by 6 feet, with hundreds of small holes. When they turn it on, air is forced through the holes and makes a little "gyser" on the surface, about 2 inches high. It feels neat to swim through this, and a bit tough also, since it wants to push you back - kinda fun. The solarium pool also has many little fountain streams into the pool that they often turn on with the bubbles.

Checkard - where in Central PA? we are Spring Mills

Just remember, the Grandeur is the worst ship in the fleet!

Happy Sailing!

That is not true Bob. The Grandeur is a grand ship -- hence the name! Have you sailed on the smaller ships? Or the ones who have not been to dry dock for refurb? We think the staff on the Grandeur is one of the top in the fleet! We always enjoy personal service from happy people who like make your cruise special when cruising on The Grandeur. We've had waiters (not ours by the way) drop to a knee and sing a love song to us at we sit at dine at our table for two; the coffee bar people know your favorite drink by day 2 (and you don't pay for all them if you visit often); the Centrum is a wonderful place to read a book or people watch; we've never had a problem finding a seat in the Solarium or the pool deck while cruising on The Grandeur. Now, can you say that about your big, fancy ships?

The Grandeur is a HORRIBLE SHIP!! My advice is that none of you newbies should ever go on it....lol. We are going on our second cruise this Thanksgiving and we are taking our entire family including the in-laws! And then in the fall of 2009, I am taking my husband again for his birthday!!!:p

The Grandeur is a HORRIBLE SHIP!! My advice is that none of you newbies should ever go on it....lol. We are going on our second cruise this Thanksgiving and we are taking our entire family including the in-laws! And then in the fall of 2009, I am taking my husband again for his birthday!!!:p

I keep saying the same thing. Horrible ship...;) In fact it's so bad that we have a 10 coming up on her in about 7 weeks or so.:D

That is not true Bob. The Grandeur is a grand ship -- hence the name! Have you sailed on the smaller ships? Or the ones who have not been to dry dock for refurb? We think the staff on the Grandeur is one of the top in the fleet! We always enjoy personal service from happy people who like make your cruise special when cruising on The Grandeur. We've had waiters (not ours by the way) drop to a knee and sing a love song to us at we sit at dine at our table for two; the coffee bar people know your favorite drink by day 2 (and you don't pay for all them if you visit often); the Centrum is a wonderful place to read a book or people watch; we've never had a problem finding a seat in the Solarium or the pool deck while cruising on The Grandeur. Now, can you say that about your big, fancy ships?

ummmmm. Might want to take a look at Bob's sig. I think he was just havin' a little bit o' fun.

Another QU for all those who "hate" the Grandeur, does it have a ful wrap-around deck and does anyone have any recent photos of her and the latte-tudes area (big coffee drinkers!) Thanks

Deck 5 is the Promenade deck, teak flooring and covered and you can walk all the way around the ship. No running allowed there, but there is a running deck on the 10th deck, above the pool deck that covers a path from just forward of the gym to the bow of the ship. No photos of Latte-tudes, it's just a small booth really, combined Ben & Jerry's and coffee shop with pastries available. It's not very elaborate. Regular ships' coffee is available on deck 9 outside the Windjammer aft starboard access door.

Not sure what you mean by a full wrap-around deck.

Deck 10 is the jogging track/sun walk where most walkers and joggers are found.

Deck 5 has an ouside promanade which one can circle the entire ship unimpeaded (sp) by any posts, doors etc. and is often used by walkers when it is too windy or rainy on Deck 10.

The only real drawback is that you'll encounter smokers on half of your trip.

Last refurb in April 2007, if I remember correctly. Ben & Jerry's and Lattetudes is on deck 6, forward, starboard side of the Centrum. If you ask, they will give you free pastries, normally they'll only offer if you buy coffee or ice cream.

I've heard mixed responses to getting the pastries free without buying a coffee or ice cream. Did you actually receive them free on the Grandeur?

Not sure what you mean by a full wrap-around deck.

Deck 10 is the jogging track/sun walk where most walkers and joggers are found.

Deck 5 has an ouside promanade which one can circle the entire ship unimpeaded (sp) by any posts, doors etc. and is often used by walkers when it is too windy or rainy on Deck 10.

The only real drawback is that you'll encounter smokers on half of your trip.

Hey Bob, did you decide to cancel the repo on Oct 30, or did you decide to go with us after all?

Dah! Now I get it! Just a little slow here in MD -- sorry. (I usually do no pay any attention to those smiley things, but I will in the future!) Sorry Bob! See you on the Grandeur.

Okay. I keep meaning to ask. You're in Frederick, I'm in Frederick...wonder if we know each other. Ever come to the Maryland Ensemble Theatre?

I've heard mixed responses to getting the pastries free without buying a coffee or ice cream. Did you actually receive them free on the Grandeur?

Like Wraithe, we have often asked for and received the free pastries without a coffee or drink purchase. But I must admit I had a coffee at least one a day so the staff recognized me as a paying customer. (Another advantage of a small ship.) I've even heard them ask people who bought an ice cream cone if they wanted a pastry!

The Oct 30 repo will be my 5th cruise on Grandeur, 2nd this year, and like biomedbob said, she is the worst ship out there. If you don't believe me, take a look at my reviews. I did learn something from this thread, though, about the bubbler in the solarium pool, have to give that a try. The solarium top usually just takes a phone call, but beware, once the top comes off, the deck gets hot-hot-hot. Be sure you have pool shoes.

Well, now I've learned two things about that awful Grandeur: the pool bubbles, and how to get the Solarium roof opened (although I'll be wary of what I ask for). We'll miss the repo this year as our newlywed daughter talked us onto the Liberty o/t Seas. Bon voyage to all aboard. But we'll be back in '09! DW and I look forward to a week aboard the bigger ship, and hope it surpasses the many "shortcomings" of the Grandeur. (We'll let you know in a review.)

• 5 months later...

We will be on the Grandeur in a week for the third time. I would compare it to Disneyland and Disneyworld. Grandeur is like Disneyland, it is a great ship for your first, second or third time. The other ships are like Disneyworld, big and impersonal but have a lot of different things to do.

Enjoy Grandeur while you can because in a year she will be gone.

The question about the solarium top not being open is interesting.

The staff on the Grandeur have a standard list of reasons why it isn’t open. It’s too cold, too hot, too windy, not windy enough, ship is cruising against the wind/current, air conditioning would be taxed, it’s not working, or older cruisers want it shut.

Okay this cracked me up, I must say. I haven't been on the Grandeur/Enchantment (I group them together because they were identical in '00 when I did the Grandeur and '02 when I did the Enchantment so I feel like I was on the Grandeur in '02) and definitely remember not understanding why the F the roof was closed on every gorgeous day. The solarium is beautiful. I guess it was either too hot, too cold, too windy, not windy enough, etc, etc, etc. I vaguely remember asking someone to open it and eventually it did get opened, but it seemed like the crew thought it was more trouble than it was worth. Just ridiculous.

Stay away from the Grandeur. She's a horrible, ugly, fat old ship. (More room for me.)

:)

Where is she going?

After the 2009 season, she's being replaced by Enchantment, her stretched sister for the Baltimore cruise scene. Enchantment is supposedly going to be doing year round cruising out of B'more, to the Caribbean, Bermuda, New England/Canada, Bermuda and start over again. The current rumor is Grandeur is going to Fort Lauderdale or Miami to do the 3-4-5 night cruises. If you don't like that rumor, start one of your own that you like better.

Archived