Skipping the muster drill?

Jenal

I cannot understand why so many people get so angry because someone missed the drill? Almost like a personal insult. I have never missed one but I really don't care if someone else did. If they didn't knock on my door and check, and I was sleeping, I might think about skipping.....

In reading this, I'm still a little confused as to why you missed it. You say you did your standard "wait" and then started to go down. You were already in the corridor when you heard the drill start over the intercom, you figured you shouldn't have continued going down to the muster station? Did you figure you'd be embarrassed to be late?

Because we were 5 decks away from where we needed to get to, and it'd be over by the time we got there? I can't remember how long it lasted on my last cruise, but believe me---this time, it was a 4-5 min procedure tops. I guess they needed to get out of port already.

I really would rather be on an inflatable raft than a lifeboat. The odds of abandoning ship in a glassy, smooth sea are rather small. If there is any kind of sea running, a raft is much more likely to survive than is even a modern lifeboat. This is based on the last three weather-related sinkings in the U. S. Great Lakes fleet. The only survivors from the Carl D. Bradley were on a raft, the only survivor from the Daniel J. Morrell was on a raft. No one survived the Edmund Fitzgerald.
By all accounts, the Edmund Fitzgerald's load of Iron Ore shifted and capsized the ship before anyone could get into the ship.The difference between 70's Great Lakes shipping boats and modern cruise ships is roughly the difference between a 20's era model-T Ford and a current model Mercedes-Benz.

whats the big deal this is the 21st century and do you think the boats can really sink these days. this isnt the days like the titanic

Err, yes. Your position is short-sighted and semi-insane. Any floating vessel upon a large amount of water can sink. Those are some laws of nature (and Murphy!!) right there. A fire could break out, a hole could leak, or some serious illness could hit, as well, requiring the use of the lifeboats. There are many reasons why it's a necessary thing.

whats the big deal this is the 21st century and do you think the boats can really sink these days. this isnt the days like the titanic

Please add this to your signature. It might be the funniest thing ever written.

some people are so ignorant that its both pathetic and annoying at the same time! The more you respond to their cries for attention the more they enjoy it. When someone brags about missing muster, or sneaking some item on the ship they know they should not be bringing, or hitting a pedestraian in the street and kept on driving because nobody saw them, it just boils down to a lack of personal responsability, and a overwhelming sence of entitlement. I am kind of sick of the society we have become, and it is a shame that so many of us think it is either ok, or funny.

When we were on Rhapsody my brother who is hard of hearing missed muster drill and somhow they knew and went to get him .So they do check and it is a MUSt

They might check to see if you are still in your cabin.........but I know for a fact they don't check to see if you are at the right muster station:D

Ok, before you start attacking, etc, I have never done it and am not considering it, but has anyone ever skipped a muster drill (Hid in your cabin, etc). What would happen? Do they do random checks of the cabins?

HMMMM i have to wonder why such a question... Your signture shows you sail on the Fascaination on 2/22/08....

Did you miss the drill???? If you did then you know the answer..

Just got off a cruise, and we honestly, accidentally, missed the drill.

We were in our cabin, napping, when the drill announcements started. We did our standard "wait 3-5 min" (roomie can't handle large groups of people at close quarters, so we usually go down toward the end so we're not packed in too deep into the group, so she doesn't panic), and started to go down. Then the muster drill started over the intercom!

No one knocked on our door, no one checked. We weren't attempting to miss anything, and we were in the corridor trying to go when they started it. We were late leaving port (embarkation was a NIGHTMARE, thus the nap!), so maybe that's why the normal procedures changed (no knock, no check). I definitely wouldn't advise anyone to do it, and we've never even been the last people to get there before. It felt really weird to have missed it.

I saw that your ship was late leaving. Did they say the reason for this. I know the Triumph was just back from Dry Dock. Hope all went well with that. Did they change any of the cabin TV's to the newer flat screens.?

They might check to see if you are still in your cabin.........but I know for a fact they don't check to see if you are at the right muster station:D

Sure they do! Your correct muster station is on the life vests themselves. When they see you're in the wrong place you are redirected.

Because we were 5 decks away from where we needed to get to, and it'd be over by the time we got there? I can't remember how long it lasted on my last cruise, but believe me---this time, it was a 4-5 min procedure tops. I guess they needed to get out of port already.

ahhh, I see. Now it makes sense.

I'm never so lucky as to have that short of a muster drill! *LOL*

I am not going to talk about it anymore because people on this site get jelous but lets just say while everyone was sweating outside, we had a good time in the bathroom.

just curious..how many is 'we'????

So glad you had a good time with the toilet. :rolleyes:

Do you read or watch the news? Recall if you will the Sea Diamond off the coast of Greece....date April 6, 2007....MANY years after the Titanic. :rolleyes:

By the way, I fail to see how doing ANYTHING in a 2 foot wide bathroom (even what you insinuated) could make anyone jealous unless you are a randy teenage boy skipping the drill and getting some for the first time. :rolleyes:

I shouldn't have taken the bait, but FTLOG....think before you spew.

Sorry for the others involved here but I have a hard time tolerating some things. ;)

Lets try that one again...

I really would rather be on an inflatable raft than a lifeboat. The odds of abandoning ship in a glassy, smooth sea are rather small. If there is any kind of sea running, a raft is much more likely to survive than is even a modern lifeboat. This is based on the last three weather-related sinkings in the U. S. Great Lakes fleet. The only survivors from the Carl D. Bradley were on a raft, the only survivor from the Daniel J. Morrell was on a raft. No one survived the Edmund Fitzgerald.

By all accounts, the Edmund Fitzgerald's load of Iron Ore shifted and capsized the ship in a gale before anyone could get into the lifeboats. If the Edmund Fitzgerald had been equipped with life rafts, the likelihood of the crew getting into the rafts of that era, much less surviving were virtually nil in November full gale conditions.

The difference between 70's Great Lakes shipping boats and modern cruise ships is roughly the difference between a 20's era model T Ford and a current model Mercedes-Benz. Other than the event of fire, the life-boats on all new ships will float, will automatically right themselves in the event of capsizing, and have better insulation than any raft.

Archived