Princess Cays anyone??

jane02

Try to tender to the island as early as possible as certain spots are at a premium and fill up very quick. We were one of the first tenders over and got 2 great loungers right in the front row and on an end so we were somewhat secluded. Also, we rented floats through the shore excursion site and used them to just float around and enjoy the beach and water. It was our favorite stop. Very relaxing!!!

Enjoy your cruise.

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We have booked a bungalow in case it is hot.

Can you use the floats the whole day or is it time limited? What is the difference between the float and the acqua chair? Is the float like a floating mattress?

Thanks for your help.

It's a nice relaxing beach day for us. The lunch buffet only serves until 1. You also might want to bring some money along as there are some locals who sell things. The one shop takes your cruise card but not the locals. Soda sticker doesn't work at Princess Cays either.

Not Andrew but I can try to answer your question.

The float is a raft type float and the aqua chair is a floating chair. I rented an aqua chair last cruise and liked it better than the float. If you google aqua chair you will find one. The rental fee is for the whole day. I have never reserved one in advance. There has always been plenty available but we do arrive early.

We try to be on the first tender over. We get up early, have breakfast delivered to our cabin and get down to the tender. We always get lounge chairs under a tree and just relax. We then eat lunch and head back to the ship around 1:30 to beat the line up for the return tender. We really enjoy our time on Princess Cays.

Hi Andrew,

We have booked a bungalow in case it is hot.

Can you use the floats the whole day or is it time limited? What is the difference between the float and the acqua chair? Is the float like a floating mattress?

Thanks for your help.

I have no clue what an aqua chair is but yes, the float is like a floating mattress. It takes some balance to get on but is relaxing once you "mount" it. :cool:

-Andrew:)

I have been to Princess Cays twice.

If you don't go really early, don't bother going at all.

the last cruise, we relaxed onboard and caught a late tender over after the lineup ended. Arrived around noon (YES, the lineup is THAT long), had trouble finding a chaise. relaxed for an hour, then went for food. discovered that the BBQ was closed. Then went for a drink--was told the bar was closed. Got fed up and went back to the ship and had a relaxing time on board (WITH lunch and drinks :) )

Enjoyed watching the lengthy tender line from our balcony.....

The ship left late because there were so many people on shore.

My husband and I agreed that we would never bother again...just stay onboard and enjoy the solitude.

Does anyone know if you rent the clamshell does that get you any faster to tender. I know that is the case with NCL.If you reserve a vest you get priority tender. Just like a shore excursion

nope, only if you rent one of the bungalows.

You don't necessarily have to be first on the island but try & get there mid morning or you'll run into the problems marie61 had posted. There is plenty of shade under the trees & pavilions so you don't have to rent one of the clamshell's for protection. The lunch served there is typically hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc with cookies & fruit for dessert. If you have a soda card it can't be used at the island. Snorkeling is only so-so & most of the coral is either dead or dying so don't expect to see much. Years ago when they first opened up it was much better but due to the large numbers of people using the place it's gone down hill fast.

I love Princess Cays. Last year we were one of the first tenders to go. We were able to get a clam shell in the front row facing the beach. It was heaven. Yes, it does get hot under the clam shell, but what we did was to put the back part of the clamshell up on our loungers. That way the breeze would go under the clam shell. I love the sun and my husband doesn't so this is perfect for us. It allows us to stay on the island for the better part of the day. I have gone over on later tenders but it is harder to find the perfect spot! We've decided that going over earlier is better for us. Hope you enjoy it. I really wish I was laying on the beach right now!

I gave up snorkeling on that island years ago because of the appearance. It's not worth the time to drag the equipment with me. Hundreds of people walking on it each week, breaking off chunks, etc. The last time I did snorkel there it looked pretty much the same all over. Perhaps someone has been to the backside of the island & it might be better since less people go there.

The Bungalows come w/ priortiy disembarking to get to the island. Quite frankly this was worth the extra $199 rather than muster in the theater and depart in groups. There is a golf cart that will drive you from the dock on arrival all the way to your bungalows. The Pricess staff from the ship is there to take your drink orders and explain the lunch menu to you. The staff is very attentive to the Bungalow visitors. Fresh ice water is in the bungablow, along with plates utensils. The bungalow is air conditioned and has a ceiling fan. This is a great plus to get out of the sun for short periods of time. It get's pretty hot laying on the beach and the bungalow offered a great break from the heat. We had no problem with bugs in May but I have heard that after rain there are a number of insects. There was insect spray in the bungalows.

The beach areas near the bungalows is not at all crowded, plenty of room to relax. The main beach area somewhat crowded, it's nice to have some quiet time on the beach.

We brought an IPOD and speakers to enjoy some tropical music and spend the day reading and swimming. Lunch was great served right on time, we opted to have a little bit of everything and were overwhelmed with the portions. We were able to take the golf cart back at the end of the day and were the last tender off the island thus maximizing our time at the beach. The bungalow also has an outdoor shower which is really a nice treat at the end of the day. We were able to shower and change in the privacy of the bunaglow and arrive back on the ship ready to go. Its a complete spurge and you'll enjoy the island with out it...IMHO It's worth it especially to maximize your time on the island and a great way to start or wrap up your vacation. It was a really great day.

http://community.webshots.com/album/563460051jUJFHt

Archived