Diabetic/Insulin Storage

We are in a group of 25 on the Enchantment of Seas at the end of the month. One of the ladies is a diabetic and must take insulin shots. The insulin must be refrigerated. I understand that there are not refrigerators in the cabins. Any ideas on what she can do? Anybody else had this situation.

Thanks,
Stacey

Stacey

Destiny 3/00
Spirit 3/02

in 2002 i sailed the destiny with a friend and she also is diabetic and needed insulin shots. she kept the insulin in the ice bucket provided by the cabin steward, no problem with that and the used syringes(sp?) were placed in one of those red biohazard containers also provided by the cabin steward. just ask him/her what you need. hope this helps! have a great trip

The refrigerators in the cabins do not really keep things that cold so even if you have a fridge do not trust it for medicines. I have heard of passengers asking the ships hospital to keep their medicine in the hospital fridge to make sure it was cold enough.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=03>
<param name="day" value=19>
<param name="hour" value=17>
</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

fyi: insulin can be kept at room temperature for up to 30 days. it does not need to be refridgerated. source: francine kaufman M.D. (president of american diabetes association and my daughters endocrinologist)

feel free to consult your endo or your pharmacist.

relax and have fun.

hkmom
suffering from post cruise blues

legend hawaii here we come
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2003;4;7;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

thanksgiving carnival pride
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2003;11;23;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

til we see our stingrays again on the rhapsody
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

The TA who booked the cruise should have sent a fax to special services requesting refrigeration and a needle disposal unit. They also should inform reservations at the time of booking of the medical requirement. My Mom is diabetic so we do this all the time.

Debbie

My ex is a diabetic. Back in the days before most cabins had refrigerators AND insulin had to be refrigerated, he carried two ice packs that each held two bottles of insulin. He would use one and the cabin steward would keep the second frozen. When the steward turned down the room at night, he'd bring the frozen one and we'd leave the thawed out one which he took the next morning when making up the room.

These packs are still available at just about any drug store. I saw some recently at my pharmacy.

Host Miriam
Community Supervisor
[email]ldrscruisemir7@aol.com[/email]

My husband has MS and takes meds that need to be keep in fridge. They just told us that when we board ship to call room service and have them store in there fridge. So we did. Then when he needed it we just called them and the brought it to our cabin. When you called they had it there within 5 mins every time. Worked out well and did not need to have our our fridge to take up alot of extra space.

Rhapsody of the Seas-Jan 2004
Voyager of the Seas-Sept 2004

In addition, I have seen some sores from persons injecting refrigerated insulin while it was still cold. I would be sure that you had your snack or medication ready just incase supper was delayed.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

My son takes meds (not insulin) that needs to be refrigerated we just brought extra ice paks along and had room service freeze them and put it all in the minibar - stayed cold enough.

Royal Majesty '89,'90'91
Nordic Empress '95
Galaxy'98
Century '99
Majesty of the Seas '01
Constellation ''03
Mariner of the Seas '04

My daughter is diabetic. No need to worry about refrigerating the insulin for the cruise. I would just check with RCCL about disposal of needles.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02
Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03
Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03
Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03
Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04
Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

Archived