Can I wear a tank top and shorts on Formal Night?

LPDTactical

I am the type of person who likes to relax as comfortable as possible. I plan on packing only a bathing suit, flip flops and a couple of wife beater tank tops that I will recycle throughout the entire week. I am hoping I will fit in on Formal night in my classical attire. What say you?

Ok, now that I have your blood boiling, I just wanted to say good morning! If we can't have fun here, then what do we have?? :)

Most definately you should do that! I can't WAIT to read the thread your table mates will post after the cruise:D .

Donna

Lol! I saw many 'relaxed' dressers so don't think it'll be a problem.

I too can't wait to read the thread your table mates will post after the cruise:D

I just got back last week from sailing on the splendor. I can't believe what i saw in the dinning room. Formal night was bot that bad. The other nights OMG:eek: T shirts, flipflops, baseball hats, and pajama bottoms. A girl at the table next to us had on pajama bottoms and flip flops. Now you may have thought it was a teen ager, no she was about 25 years old. I was just shocked, being that it was a mediterannean cruise, i thought people would dress better. I just think they have become very relaxed and just don't care. It is a shame.

I am the type of person who likes to relax as comfortable as possible. I plan on packing only a bathing suit, flip flops and a couple of wife beater tank tops that I will recycle throughout the entire week. I am hoping I will fit in on Formal night in my classical attire. What say you?

Ok, now that I have your blood boiling, I just wanted to say good morning! If we can't have fun here, then what do we have?? :)

:D OH MY! I believe most who replied thought you were SERIOUS!:D

:D OH MY! I believe most who replied thought you were SERIOUS!:D

I am just trying to have some fun! Just looking forward to our cruise in 54 days! Don't worry, I'll be in a Suit and Tie on formal nights, and Kahkies and Polo Shirt every other night at dinner!

Can you imagine the fun of being the guy in the stained wife beater though! I would love to have a hidden camera to catch the reactions on that one!

I like to swim right after dinner so on formal nights I have designed a tux-speedo. Is that considered formal.:D

I am just trying to have some fun! Just looking forward to our cruise in 54 days! Don't worry, I'll be in a Suit and Tie on formal nights, and Kahkies and Polo Shirt every other night at dinner!

Can you imagine the fun of being the guy in the stained wife beater though! I would love to have a hidden camera to catch the reactions on that one!

I have always known them to be called "Italian dinner shirts"...LOL

Sonny Corleone always wore his at the table...LOL

actually...that was because they would remove their good dress shirts so they would not splash tomatoe sauce or gravy on it.

:D;)

I'm sure you will be most welcome in buffet area and you can still wear your tie and tie clip -make sure it has a little glitter -over your tanktop to show everyone the valiant effort you made to dress up for formal night .

Have fun

I kid you not, Pam and I once shared a large table with a family where the man's idea of "Formal Night" was a colored T-shirt instead of the usual white one. This was before "Elegant Night" came into being, too. True story!

---Bruce

Along the same lines, I've been known to rent the tux/shoes through the ship so that it is in my cabin and I didn't take any valuable suitcase room.

However, next cruise we are talking about hitting one of the alternative dinning areas and avoid the dress-up hassle. Yes, it's fun to dress up, but "been there, done that". I told my wife, I don't even want to bring a sport coat this trip. The fact that our cruise-mates are casual, and also agreed not to do the tux thing, helps.

Of course, next year, one of the cruise nights is Halloween - that should be a hoot! We plan on hitting the costume stores this year, after Halloween to get a bargin or two. I understand from other posts that a costume is also allowed on formal night, and I'm sure they are more comfy than that darn money suit!

See the picture below? After formal night we went gambling with half formal, half shorts. Got some good looks with that outfit!

I am in no way a prude, far from it, and normally it's pretty hard to shock me. But formal nights on a cruise is the one time that I am definitely shocked and appalled by the outfits that some of the people in the dining room choose to wear.:eek:

Archived