Good Waterproofing products...

Hatty324

I am looking for a good waterproof bag/item to use for holding Money, Passports, Cruise Room Cards, and possibly even a digital camera (would not use the digital camera to take pictures from within the bag).

My reasoning is that a couple excursions I am going on entail swimming in the ocean and do not want to leave valuables sitting on the beach.

Anyone have any tried and true products that they have used?

I am looking for a good waterproof bag/item to use for holding Money, Passports, Cruise Room Cards, and possibly even a digital camera (would not use the digital camera to take pictures from within the bag).

My reasoning is that a couple excursions I am going on entail swimming in the ocean and do not want to leave valuables sitting on the beach.

Anyone have any tried and true products that they have used?

I have used one of these (see attachment) for years and love them. Only thing is, I don't think I would trust a digital camera in any of the water proof bags. One slip of not getting them sealed correctly and your camera is gone. I would purchase a waterproof housing for my camera, or leave it on the ship and buy a disposable one.

Here is the link to the bag I use for everything else, to go with the picture.

http://www.snorkelcity.com/snorwatfanpa.html

707767892_waterproofbag.jpg.51ac7e02e69a55d732e90981d8129623.jpg

There's a product made by DiCAPac that can be used for your money, cards, cell phone, camera, etc. They come in a number of sizes. I got one for my camera to keep it dry and sand-fee at the beach. I ordered online it from Accessory Geeks. Have not tried it yet, as I am taking it in a cruise in Tahiti in a few weeks. I have water tested it and it really seals up securely. It's supposed to keep a camera dry up to 15 feet underwater. Not sure if I want to try that, and risk my camera.

According to the literature, they have camera bags that allow you to take photos with a camera inside the bag, that accomodate the camera lens that protrudes out from the camera when it is turned on.

I have used one of these (see attachment) for years and love them. Only thing is, I don't think I would trust a digital camera in any of the water proof bags. One slip of not getting them sealed correctly and your camera is gone. I would purchase a waterproof housing for my camera, or leave it on the ship and buy a disposable one.

Here is the link to the bag I use for everything else, to go with the picture.

http://www.snorkelcity.com/snorwatfanpa.html

Do you swim with this around you?

Christapie

For credit cards and money I use what is called a water safe. You can buy them in just about any sporting goods store. If you want a waterproof camera you can buy one of those one-time use ones. They take pretty good pictures. If you are on a tour, I would leave the cell phone behind on the ship.

Do you swim with this around you?

Christapie

It fits around your waist and is adjustable. Fits nice and snug and you don't even know it's there. Yes, we swim, snorkel, and everything goes right with us. I bought one over 10 years ago on a clearence sale and used it for most of those 10 years until the seals wore out. It took forever to find another one just like it, but I sure was happy when I did. It carrys all we need when at the beach and keeps it secure with a triple seal. (but as said, I have a waterproof housing for my digital camera and I don't think I would put a camera in any type of waterproof bag, but that's just me).

It fits around your waist and is adjustable. Fits nice and snug and you don't even know it's there. Yes, we swim, snorkel, and everything goes right with us. I bought one over 10 years ago on a clearence sale and used it for most of those 10 years until the seals wore out. It took forever to find another one just like it, but I sure was happy when I did. It carrys all we need when at the beach and keeps it secure with a triple seal. (but as said, I have a waterproof housing for my digital camera and I don't think I would put a camera in any type of waterproof bag, but that's just me).

Thanks! I think I'm going to buy one as well!! Do you take your passport as well?

Thanks again, Christapie

Thanks! I think I'm going to buy one as well!! Do you take your passport as well?

Thanks again, Christapie

The only time I have ever taken my passport onshore in 35+ cruises is when we needed it in places like Egypt that we had to take it with us. We always get back to the ship with extra time to spare and have never had even a close call. I do however take a copy of our passport with us. Won't work to get us anywhere, but will help to get a new passport IF the unforseen should happen.

As for the waterproof pack, we love the one we have, and it has really worked well, both of them. ;)

ifrogz makes a water-resistant neck holder for an iPod or other MP3 players. It can also be used to hold other small items such as an ID, credit cards or etc. I have used it around a pool and also tubing on a river. I pinned it to my shirt while tubing (just in case I overturned). It worked great even while getting soaked on the rapids. It has triple seals. I paid $5.99 for it at Ross. A passport doesn't quite fit in it but I would agree with Christapie that you could just take a copy & leave your passport in your safe on the ship.

http://ifrogz.com/products/bagz.php

ifrogz makes a water-resistant neck holder for an iPod or other MP3 players. It can also be used to hold other small items such as an ID, credit cards or etc. I have used it around a pool and also tubing on a river. I pinned it to my shirt while tubing (just in case I overturned). It worked great even while getting soaked on the rapids. It has triple seals. I paid $5.99 for it at Ross. A passport doesn't quite fit in it but I would agree with Christapie that you could just take a copy & leave your passport in your safe on the ship.

http://ifrogz.com/products/bagz.php

Sorry, I meant to refer to the post by Toto2Kansas regarding taking your passport into port.

Archived