Tipping on Seabourn's Shore Excursions

SantaAna,CA

Having never participated in a Seabourn-arranged shore excursion other than the beach barbeque (I've always been in the Caribbean, diving on each island, and have arranged my own trips!), do you tip the person, guide, driver, whomever? I don't mean to be nosy or put anyone on the spot, but I've absolutely no idea what to give them (for a solo traveler). I'm booked on several excursions for the Panama Canal cruise. Thank you!

Jane

Jane,

This is from the FAQ section on the Seabourn Web site followed by a paragraph from the Cruise Critics tipping section.

johnny

19. Gratuities for Shore excursions?

Prices do not include gratuities for local shore excursion guides, drivers, and related service staff. Independent, subcontracted ground operator companies employ all ground staff and these entities do not participate in Seabourn Cruises' on board "no tipping" practice. Tipping of guides, drivers and other independent ground staff is at the individual guest's discretion, anticipated and appreciated.

Shore Excursions

For a half-day bus excursion I give the guide $2, $4 for a full-day excursion. If the guide has spoken with me at length individually or confided to me places for dining or shopping after the tour, I tip him/her $5 for a half day, $10 for a whole day. And I don't forget the driver. After all, he/she brought me safely down the Dolomites, or negotiated the traffic in Athens. I give him/her $1 for a half-day excursion, $2 for a full-day one.

Archived