Snorkeling in Tortola???

airlink diva

Last year when I was in Tortola, I did a tour of the Baths. This year I want to do a snorkeling tour with a local vendor.

However, because we were late in clearing customs, I was in a rush to get to my Bath tour and didn't pay any mind to see if local tour guides were there offering snorkeling.

Can anyone suggest a local tour guide who cost is reasonable?

Thanks!!!

Patouche is an excellent choice:

http://www.patouche.com/

Here's a brief extract from my February snorkel trip:

Feb 15 – Tortola: Full day snorkel with Patouche.

It’s another windy day. We sail Shamwari to the leeward, smooth, side of Norman Island. The first stop is at Treasure Caves. We snorkel along coral reefs and gardens and enter three of the caves. The island and caves were reputedly the inspirational source for Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic Treasure Island. Lunch is at Willy Ts, a floating restaurant. Willy T’s is a pleasant change from the inevitable barbecued chicken on the snorkel boats. Patouche is a class act.

Last year when I was in Tortola, I did a tour of the Baths. This year I want to do a snorkeling tour with a local vendor.

However, because we were late in clearing customs, I was in a rush to get to my Bath tour and didn't pay any mind to see if local tour guides were there offering snorkeling.

Can anyone suggest a local tour guide who cost is reasonable?

Thanks!!!

I haven't done patouche but Norman Island is were most of the snorkel boats go (including the ship's excursions). Just be aware, there really isn't much reef, though the caves are excellent (especially if you bring along a waterproof flashlight). We went way back in the caves (about 3-4 ft. deep most of the time and there were lots of schooling fish. I also found a lobster 1/2 eaten which means there was probably an octopus hiding somewhere but we didn't have time to look for it (before someone starts screaming about octopuses in caves eating you alive, they're like 1 ft. long or less and harmless). :p

Randall

have been with patouche several times during land based trips. they have a couple of spots that are"secret". am sure you will enjoy your time with them-well woth the time and expense. the snorkeling from the shore is very limited.regards,searose

We stopped in Tortola about 7 years ago on a cruise. I recall that there is a gazebo with tourist information at the pier. They got us a taxi and the driver took us to a remote beach at the other end of the island and picked us up at the appointed hour. The bar/shack rented snorkel equipment. There were maybe 10 people on the beach. You had to swim a little bit but there was a fantastic coral reef off of the beach teeming with fish. We will be on the Eurodam in December and I hoping to go back to that beach (with our own equipment). Does anyone know the name of that beach?

Archived