Itinerary Changes

mickey

We're booked on the Dec. 28 sailing of the Zaandam. So far HAL has dropped the Cayman Islands ( I understand that one,due to hurricane damage), but they've also dropped St. Maarten and changed our port call at Cozumel to New Year's Eve with an 11PM departure. They replaced those with another sea day and a call at Costa Mayo Mexico. Needless to say we're not happy and neither are the other cruisers we know that are booked already. Has anyone else had an itinerary so totally changed and also do any of you have experience with some of it being returned to the original plan? We would be happy if we could just get St. Maarten back. Emailed HAL a week ago and got and automated response that they said would be answered in three days. Nothing yet.

HAL has dropped our Grand Caymen stop on the W'dam Christmas cruise, giving us another sea day. They have given no indication that they are going to give us a credit for the port charges, but information from previous posters would leave me to believe that we will get a ship credit.

HAL's sister line - Princess and Carnival are resuming their stops at GC, so things may change before your cruise.

We're booked on the Dec. 28 sailing of the Zaandam. So far HAL has dropped the Cayman Islands ( I understand that one,due to hurricane damage), but they've also dropped St. Maarten and changed our port call at Cozumel to New Year's Eve with an 11PM departure. They replaced those with another sea day and a call at Costa Mayo Mexico. Needless to say we're not happy and neither are the other cruisers we know that are booked already. Has anyone else had an itinerary so totally changed and also do any of you have experience with some of it being returned to the original plan? We would be happy if we could just get St. Maarten back. Emailed HAL a week ago and got and automated response that they said would be answered in three days. Nothing yet.
The closing of a number of ports, and new limitations on docking in others, in the Caribbean due to hurricane damage has a domino effect as cruise lines look to change itineraries to fit their schedules and their passengers' interest. Remembver, though, that nothing is set in stone and the itinerary could continue to change up until (and even after) you sail away...

Go over to the Roll Calls Holland America board. Zaandam News Years Eve 12/28/04 thread. There are discussions on this itinerary change for your cruise on the thread's pages 2 & 3.

This is a link to the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=44531&page=1&pp=30&highlight=Zaandam+Dec

I love SXM and have been there many times but having just come back, I think I would prefer CZM. SXM's roads were all torn up and it was very difficult to get around. I can understand that you aren't happy though, ports are a big reason to pick your cruise and GCM is wonderful so that's a shame, I hope they get it back in shape soon but I think if SXM isn't fixed by December, you may be better off in CZM. I wasn't happy with SXM at all.

Several months ago, we booked a back to back cruise Nov 7, and Nov 13, on the Veendam.

Our first week was Key West, Belize, Guatamala, and Cozumel.

The second week was Key West, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

ONLY because of reading Cruise Critic did I have any inkling that things were changed. Due to the hurricane hitting Grand Cayman,

HAL or our travel agent did not notify us of any change.

We already have our tickets, as we are leaving in a few days, but when I called our travel agent, she made a call to HAL, and yes indeed, our second week on the back to back is now the same as the first week!!!!!

Not too happy, but we can't do anything about it. Will make the best of it, and visit the same ports only a week apart.

Several months ago, we booked a back to back cruise Nov 7, and Nov 13, on the Veendam.

Our first week was Key West, Belize, Guatamala, and Cozumel.

The second week was Key West, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

ONLY because of reading Cruise Critic did I have any inkling that things were changed. Due to the hurricane hitting Grand Cayman,

HAL or our travel agent did not notify us of any change.

We already have our tickets, as we are leaving in a few days, but when I called our travel agent, she made a call to HAL, and yes indeed, our second week on the back to back is now the same as the first week!!!!!

Not too happy, but we can't do anything about it. Will make the best of it, and visit the same ports only a week apart.

I'm sorry, that is a shame but hopefully you will have a great time. I would love to do a B2B some day. Maybe you can enjoy the emptiness of the ship the second week?

I just got back from the Western Caribbean.. they too changed our itinerary and kept us at sea.. (we were suppost to go to the Grand Cayman).. our fellow cruisers who picked this cruise to swim with the stingrays at GC were disappointed, but it's a risk you take when you do a cruise.. it's a clause in the paperwork.. the captain has the right to change his mind. Kinda weird, but it could happen... this wasn't a whim decision, it was a safety one. We were given $23 or so credit to our room/person...hope this helps.

If you will check the HAL website, the ship has reverted back to the original itinerary scheduled:

Pt. Canaveral

At Sea

Cozumel 7am - 1pm

Grand Caymen 8am - 5pm (subject to change)

At Sea

Santo Domingo 7am - 4pm

Tortola 9:30am - 8pm

St. Maarten 7am - 10pm

St. Thomas 7am - 6pm

At Sea

Half Moon Cay 7am - 3pm

Pt. Canaveral

I have clients aboard the ship who to were very distraught at the several changes made w/out notification, but are now THRILLED that they will be sailing the original itinerary as noted above, and are sooooooooo happy, as you will be too I am sure !

Have a Grrrrrrrrreat Cruise !

Archived