Port of Miami - Which Dollar Car Rental to Use?

alina555

I keep seeing these posts about how Dollar Car Rental offers a free shuttle from their location to the Port of Miami....but when I try to find the local number to check, I pull up several Miami locations. Which one offers the free shuttle? And I can't find a local number for the airport location....does anyone else have better luck? I am trying to book a car from FLL dropping off at MIA near the port. Thanks!

When we booked from Miami this past weekend, there was a location on the drop down menu listed as cruise port.

(we did Miami to FLL - one day rental - used code KISS for great price)

There was a shuttle that took people there and picked them up. We did have to wait about 20-25 minutes for pick up, but there were 3 ships in port that morning.

http://www.co.miami-dade.fl.us/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp

BUDGET: M3M

665 S.W. 8th Street

Miami, FL 33130

305-377-4410

I know this is the place for budget - maybe if there was an address close to this -

I called each location and asked them how close they were, if they had a shuttle and the cost of a cab incase I didn't want to wait for the shuttle.

Also - use map quest and put in the address of the facility to the port - this will tell you how close.

I also need to know which is the offsite Miami Dollar/thrifty location.If you know the name or adress or what they call it as a site I would greatly appreciate the help.

Jeff

The address I have listed on my documents is:

3670 NW South River Dr

Miami, FL 33142

A quick look on Google Maps is as I remember it.

Where do i go to get picked up by the shuttle? We have book a rental car for the day

Assuming you are still talking about Dollar or Thrifty (same shuttles/same rental location) either the port or the airport. Just stand outside at the port.

^^Okay, I am still confused. The 3670 South River Dr address is the same as the Miami International Airport address when I try to hunt for it on the Dollar website??

That is true. The shuttles (from either the port or airport) take you to the same rental location.

This confused me, too, before I actually went there. What is especially confusing is that the rental rates when I booked were different if you put airport vs. Port of Miami. When I tried to check, I was told that they fill out the paperwork at the airport and shuttle you over just to pick up the car.

I ended up taking a cab over to the airport (with another person who needed to pick up from another company) and taking the shuttle back to the pickup location with no paperwork being completed at the airport.

The folks that I left back at the port were told by the someone that I could have just taken the (free) Dollar/Thrifty shuttle from the port straight to the pickup location.

Live and learn. That's why we participate here at CC.

Thank you obblnt! So to clarify, I can book my rental car from FLL and return at MIA (the airport/S River Dr location). Once I drop off at MIA, the shuttle there will take me (for free) to the port. Hope that is what happens!!

Thank you obblnt! So to clarify, I can book my rental car from FLL and return at MIA (the airport/S River Dr location). Once I drop off at MIA, the shuttle there will take me (for free) to the port. Hope that is what happens!!

I originally booked with Thrifty. I was told that the only drop off location was at the Miami Airport. Everyone that I spoke to told me that this was not the way to go. You are losing a lot of time by either dropping off your luggage and other family first at the port then driving back to the airport to drop off the car then waiting for a shuttle to take you back. Or if you choose to go directly to the airport first you will have to unload your luggage again then wait for the shuttle to go back to the port and then unload your luggage again.

I changed my reservation to Budget. They have a drop off in Downtown Miami only 3 miles from the Port. They offer free shuttle as well.

That is the way it looked like when I was there. If you have a bunch of luggage and plenty of time, you could always drop someone off at the port with the luggage and then take the car to the drop-off location. That way you don't have to drag luggage onto (and off of) the shuttle.

That is exactly what happens. We did it last month and it was totally hassle free! Have a great cruise. :)

Pat

How much time should be planned for returning the rental car at Dollar and taking their free shuttle to the airport? We will be renting a car post-cruise (I think I have to put in port location for pickup and airport for dropoff...?) and returning it the morning we fly out. We fly at 10:00 AM. I'm wondering how long we will be waiting for their airport shuttle and how long the drive takes (looks very close). Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I did this twice this year, Alina, and it worked as smooth as can be each time.

You drive to the South River Drive location, they check in the car with a gadget (takes a few seconds), then you wheel your luggage over to the shuttle bus, and WHOOOOOOSH, you're at the Port of Miami, and the shuttle driver (who won't let you load or unload your own bags - very helpful) is handing your bags to the porter.

Hi...I just reserved a car for pickup at the Port of Miami when we get off the ship on the 17th with Dollar. We fly out from FLL that afternoon at 3:30. Can someone please walk me through what to do when we get off the ship that morning. There will be 4 adults and probably 8 bags. Do we all go out and get on the shuttle? Is it just parked somewhere nearby? Any help will be appreciated...

Thanks...Lori

Hi...I just reserved a car for pickup at the Port of Miami when we get off the ship on the 17th with Dollar. We fly out from FLL that afternoon at 3:30. Can someone please walk me through what to do when we get off the ship that morning. There will be 4 adults and probably 8 bags. Do we all go out and get on the shuttle? Is it just parked somewhere nearby? Any help will be appreciated...

Thanks...Lori

I believe that it just comes by after checking as it's checking all the ship terminals that have ships. You can all get on with your luggage. It's just like the normal rental shuttles you find with a bunch of seats and a big luggage rack.

Archived