Shopping for Mexican Fire Opal

daldog

Yes, I am sure you're right ... but I don't really get into shopping mode at home so much. When I am on vacation I am more likely to splurge on something I want ... plus its a memento, more than it is about getting a deal. Given that there's supposed to be a big mine somewhere outside of PV, I thought there would be some experience on these boards - but it's pretty quiet.

A friend of mine purchased a fire opal set of necklace, earrings, and ring from one of the stores pushed by the cruise line back in April while we were in Mexico. She paid what I thought was a pretty high price for small stones.

I collect gemstones and jewelry. The fire opal she purchased were light colored, small, and overpriced. I could have gotten much better quality and larger stones for 1/2 the price here.

If you really want to purchase fine jewelry while on vacation, be prepared to spend. You can probably get a deal if you do some research. Google on line to see what comes up. Maybe somewhere outside of the tourist areas will have direct from the mine prices. Bring a loop though to make sure you are getting the quality you want.

I've never been on an NCL cruise, but if I might make a suggestion...check out if they sell them on the ship. I've been able to find very nice jewelry on the ship, though it's been on Princess. The pieces they sell are also guaranteed to be genuine and will appraise at above the price you paid. They'll usually run sales throughout the week.

I'm not a jeweler, but have done my fair share of jewelry purchases and am informed. So, if you want to do any jewelry shopping, know what you want and how much it'll cost in the states. Being an informed shopper puts you in a much better negotiating position.

Have a great cruise.

I've never been on an NCL cruise, but if I might make a suggestion...check out if they sell them on the ship. I've been able to find very nice jewelry on the ship, though it's been on Princess.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks... and yes, I try to be informed if shopping for something particular. I also have purchased on board Princess as well and been happy. I was just hoping that the perhaps a native stone might be readily available in more variations than I've seen on board or around home - the selection on mexican fire opals has been limited.

But thanks anyway ...... appreciate it.

.. and hey if you like it, it's your money and you can do what you want with it! :)

Absolutely - and my mom taught me "Do you LOVE it? Then get it. If you don't love it, put it back." :D

I am just a little surprised that there's not much about shopping on this board......:confused:

in Mazatlan, go to Pardo´s in the Golden Zone......ask for Rodolfo Pardo....if he´s not available, ask for Carlos and tell them Greg Kneale sent you.

Pardo´s has, without doubt, the best selection of any jewelery store and hopefully, mentioning my name might get you a better deal.....then again, they might increase their prices.....lol

• 4 weeks later...

I have also purchased mine from Pardos, probably in 2006 and then before that around 2002. Both rings, and had to go back and fourth quite a bit on price, but in the end, it was about half what their initial price was. I love them both and have had no problems with either of the rings or settings...They had by far the best selection of anywhere I saw in the ports..

Laughing Angel! My favorite passenger!!! Me doing good.....restaurant is packed, but I´ll make space for you....best table in the house......let me know closer to the time when you´re coming.....

I love seeing old friends......

• 1 month later...

Hi - We DO buy jewelry when we cruise or other types of travel - lasts longer and gives more pleasure than a t-shirt!:D

I looked at Fire Opals in San Juan and did NOT buy, because although they were beautiful - they were one of the few gemstones I was unfamiliar with... I have since researched Mexican Fire Opals - the best company (the one that seems to own the mines) appears to be Amijones (a designer). They are expensive, but a websearch indicates that they are a rare stone, and a very expensive stone. The best deals were what we were seeing in San Juan (but, I bet Mexico is better).

A consult with a gemologist indicates that Amijones uses triple a stones and that they are fairly clear, (eye clean of occlusions) and luminous. That they are good if you want a quality stone. I noted that the stones had very different qualities (the best ones seemed t glow and cast light, as opposed to just acting as a prism). I checked US sources including local jewelry stores in PA, NY and VA. The quality and price in SJ, PR seemed to be reasonable. I phoned the store with my info in hand and negotiated them down a bit over what was discussed in port and asked them to send one item (the earrings). I plan to check that I don't run into CC problems or bait and switch and then order the necklace I loved and later the bracelet my Husband loved (for me). I think rings are your best bet in the US.

As a long time jewelry collector I have learned that things such as the high price of gold can sometimes make "stone heavy" items a better deal. If you like an imperfect stone (in example I do not like perfectly clear emeralds - they look glassy to me, so I do well with a small cloud... and I similar feelings about color) you can really clean up.

Sadly, I like the BEST stones on the fire opal. FYI there are very few dealers in the US (or anywhere) on this stone. I feel it will be like Tanzanite in that the stone will catch on and there are limited mines. You are aware that diamonds price is going down because DeBeers has competition now (as opposed to controlling all diamond supplies). Tanzanite was introduced a decade ago at reasonable prices, the growing popularity/demand and dwindling supply are sending the prices UP. Much like Alexandrite when it is gone it will be gone. I suspect that Fire Opal is the same.

You can email me directly at my personal email bulger12 at sign yahoo.com if you like. Although that is all I know. Maybe we should start a seperate message thread or board for us shoppers :o? I will be VERY interested to hear how your fire opal adventure works out. FYI, I ordered 2.6 carats (1.3 carat single stone studs) of high quality fire opal for $400. US including shipping. A fair price, but not a bargain basement price - if you can let me know your experiance for comparison that would be great-

Archived