bear viewing out of Homer

#1survivorfan

I am in the process of planning our alaska trip next july/august and want to make the reservations for some of the popular excursions. We are 2 couples spending 3 nights in Homer and would like to do a bear viewing excursion. I know both Katmai (Brooks Falls) and Hallo Bay are highly recommended. They both appear to be just half day trips. Is this right? Are these the best and what I should choose from or should I be looking at other tour operators? We will be in Homer July 26,27,28 and then leaving for 3 nights in Seward. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Marla

Emerald Air has very great reviews on trip advisor and fodors. (many have gone more than once) If you haven't seen the IMAX movie "Bears" you should rent it. It gives you a new appreciation for the bears. Ken and Chris Day of Emerald Air were chosen to be a part of this movie. They offer a full day excursion for $600. I have not personally gone yet (9/09) but have spoken with and emailed Chris several times. She has such a passion and a love for these bears, she wants to share her love and knowledge with others. This was the kind of experience I wanted. Not someone whose sole purpose was a "business". I know that Greatam really likes Hallo Bay as do many people. She has been out with them several times. They come highly recommended. I would call Emerald Air and talk with Chris, just to give you another option. My only thought is that your timing might not be good for that area, but I really do not know about that.

Emerald Air has very great reviews on trip advisor and fodors. (many have gone more than once) If you haven't seen the IMAX movie "Bears" you should rent it. It gives you a new appreciation for the bears. Ken and Chris Day of Emerald Air were chosen to be a part of this movie. .

The movies "BEARS" was shot in McNeil. You won't be going to McNeil. It is lottery only and there are no day trips to McNeil, unless you are a lottery winner and choose to only spend one day. I have tried 4 years in a row for a McNeil lottery ticket and still have not been to McNeil.

The Emerald Air price is $625.00 for 2009.

To the OP:

Depending upon the salmon run, I might even recommend Brooks. IF the salmon run is heavy in 2009, there will still be salmon in Brooks in late July.

The BIG problem with fly-in trips from Homer that DO NOT have a specific place to go-you fly until you find the bears. Brooks has Rangers who are there every day. Hallo Bay is a live in facility and they, too, are there every day. They KNOW where the bears are, what they are doing daily. Fly-in trips that have no ground base don't have that intimate knowledge. They HOPE they find bears. But if all the bears are clustered in Brooks, McNeil or around the ocean at Hallo Bay, you just won't see them. Brooks is owned by the National Parks Service as is McNeil and Hallo Bay is private property. You can't land the plane on private property so you keep flying.

The movies "BEARS" was shot in McNeil. You won't be going to McNeil. It is lottery only and there are no day trips to McNeil, unless you are a lottery winner and choose to only spend one day. I have tried 4 years in a row for a McNeil lottery ticket and still have not been to McNeil. I didn't mean to imply that where they shot the movie is where they went to view bears (it's about brown, black and polar bears, but primarily brown), only that it was an interesting movie, and the IMAX people thought enough of Chris to help with the movie

The Emerald Air price is $625.00 for 2009. Sorry, it's $600 if you pay cash, $625 with credit card

Greatam and choozin' cruzin'...

thank you for your answers. I feel like i'm running around in circles saying 'Bears..Bears...where to see the Bears"!!

We went to Alaska, the first time 2 years ago. Thinking this would be the one and only time...and "got the touch" It's such an amazing place and I'm so thankful to be able to plan another trip so soon. We will be there 19days total!! Yahoo!!

So, my question is....it seems as though Hallo Bay and Katmai would be the perferred excursions. Greatam....is half a day enough? I'm willing to spend the money for this once in a lifetime experience, but want to make sure to listen to the "experts ;) "

If you had just one place to go see bears in 1 day, where would it be?

Marla

I was in the same place that you were. I was all set to go with Hallo Bay until I had read a few reports regarding the turnover and unhappiness of personnel at Hallo Bay. With that said, there was also a gentleman that went with them (a repeat customer), experienced the "tension", but still would go back again. He also had a friend who went with Emerald Air, who he claimed got better photos than he did( I find it hard to believe, his were fantastic). I think his opinion was that either was great. I just looked at the fact that I got a whole day with someone who undoubtably loved the bears (I am an avid animal lover) and I got a whole day (they know where the bears are, they are there every day (excluding bad weather)) Even if I might have to fly a little longer (free sightseeing). I am not here to convince you one way or another. I am only telling you how I made my decision. I really suggest you first figure out what you want, call the operators and talk with them and figure out if they will provide what you are looking for. It is a very extravagant excursion; you want to be happy with your decision. I am, but am just praying the weather will cooperate the day we go. A lot of people were fogged out this September. I did allow an extra day so we could try the next day if we are weathered out the first day.

I was in the same place that you were. I was all set to go with Hallo Bay until I had read a few reports regarding the turnover and unhappiness of personnel at Hallo Bay. With that said' date=' there was also a gentleman that went with them (a repeat customer), experienced the "tension", but still would go back again.[/quote']

Sorry to be so late entering into this discussion. I was in Belize and I couldn't sign in for some reason.

I went to Hallo Bay in August 2007 and only have wonderful things to say about Simyra and Hallo Bay. I did hear that that there was one employee who had been on site for a little bit over what should have happened, but not that anyone had any complaints. It seems you may get a little crazy staying at camp for four months straight.

Since the guides make the trip and all the guides returned this year, and I think plan to return next year as well, I would question what certain people think is a problem. When we landed there was another couple in our group of 6. Evidently the husband did not tell the wife that she would be sleeping in a tent/cabin and that they would be doing some walking to see the bears. When she asked the guide if seeing bears was the only thing to do, I knew that we were in for trouble. The couple left the next morning even though the husband had paid for five years. I asked Simyra about this and she said, you can talk to you are blue in the face explaining things, and occasionally things like this happen. Did the husband think that the wife would get over it. Something tells me that she may still not be speaking to him.

Hallo Bay was one of the life changing events in my life. Sitting on a log watching a 800 pound grizzly come charging straight at me and dipping and stopping to catch a fish was something that I cannot explain to people. Being there and within 10 minutes have no fear of the bears (not doing anything stupid here, but it is very exhilirating seeing bears that don't view Katmai visitors as dinner or a source of dinner is an unbelievable say to view the bears.)

I would go back again and again, but there are too many other places that I want to experience once, so a return trip will have to wait. While we were there, there was an Austrian family who had been there every summer for ten years. They ask the kids every summer, where to you want to go and the answer is always the same, Hallo Bay.

Greatam, I too have applied for the McNeil lottery to no avail. I have been much luckier helping people win the Denali lottery, so I just haven't met the right people yet or learned the tricks.

Janice

Archived