ginger for motion sickness?

Mom3Boys

Hi,

My husband cannot take any of the normal sea sick medicines. Has anyone used ginger for sea sickness? We took draminine last year but his doctor told him not to take any of the usual medicines this year. I know that ginger is used for motion sickness but am not sure how much to take? Can anyone help!

Thanks,

Linda

A fellow CC'er on my last cruise gave me ginger for the third hurrican we hit:) The ginger worked great. She gave me two to take than and two to take later. Don't know how many mg or what ever that is. Read the bottle, I would a man could take the max if of normal size.

Ginger works really well for me, whether it's ginger ale, or tablets. Also have your husband try wearing Seabands. You can get them in the same section of the drugstore as the over the counter motion sickness. They are wristbands with little buttons that work by acupressure. They look a little dorky on formal night, but they also look better than a green face!:D

We use the Herbal Plus 500MG capsules (available from GNC). To avoid seasickness we take six per day, two at a time. They work well for us without any side effects, except for "ginger breath".

I certainly recommend trying them. if they don't work, you can get bonine at the purser's desk.

I use ginger capsules from GNC or the drug store---take 2 when I get on the ship and 2 if needed if there is a lot of motion. I used those scopolamine patches for the first 2 cruises I took. Personally, I think they have a number of side effects and to me the ginger works as well. I will say, though, that I have rarely had to take more than the 2 capsules the first day. I am not really bothered by the motion unless it makes me fall into something!;)

Any sort of ginger will work. As others have said, six daily are what is usually recommended for the capsules. YOu can also use ginger cookies, ginger ale, steeped ginger teas, crystallized ginger, and you can eat fresh ginger. You can have as much of those as you need/like/want.

Hi,

My husband cannot take any of the normal sea sick medicines. Has anyone used ginger for sea sickness? We took draminine last year but his doctor told him not to take any of the usual medicines this year. I know that ginger is used for motion sickness but am not sure how much to take? Can anyone help!

Thanks,

Linda

I use a ReliefBand (I bought mine at Sharper Image, but they are available elsewhere). These are different than Sea Bands in that the ReliefBand has a battery and uses electronic pulses on your inner wrist. I like it becasue I am not taking any type of medicine. They work immediately to stop nausea. I experience nausea due to Meniere's Disease and I use the bands on land, as well as, at sea. Have a great trip!

-Podge

I use candied ginger (you find it in the spice section of any grocery store) and keep a small zip lock bag handy. Basically, ginger just settles the stomach, so I just nibble on a piece whenever I get quiesy. One side effect is that it's a blood thinner. If you are any kind of blood thining meds, it's not a good choice.

Shar

The GNC ginger really does work. On the Alaska cruise I met the cruise doctor in the elevator, I had taken the pills only after I felt sick and it took a full day before I started feeling normal again. He told me if I had started taking them 2 days before I got onboard, I would have had no problem, hope this helps, I learned my lesson.

I just got off of my first cruise, and despite being raised around boats I was seasick the entire cruise. I tried dramamine, and I was one of those dorks with the sea bands on formal night. Nothing seemed to help. I met a very nice crew member in the spa, who mentioned using Ginger Oil on her wrists and eating a green apple. Well we didn't have any ginger oil available, but she did find me a green apple. That day was the worst day on the seas and the first time I felt good on the water the whole trip.

So I guess an apple a day really can keep the doctor away.

Happy Sailing!

Archived