Tropical Storm Omar/Hurricane ????

Seal

Just left Aruba Tuesday morning (yesterday)--it's really strange no one at the Hyatt wanted to admit that maybe this was something bigger and better than a passing rainstorm--Trust me this is different !!!

We didn't leave any sooner than was planned--but--on Monday the wind was really kicking--the folks with all the water tours/parasailing and everything that you can do on the beach started packing and fleeing--don't know where all the boats that were moored in front of the hotels--they are just GONE

We left the hotel before 5am Tuesday morning (yesterday)--wind blowing --lots of flooding on the streets--the good part was not much in the way of traffic that hour in the morning on the way to the airport--I was concerned that maybe the flight would be cancelled--took off on time for Miami--we spent 8 hours yesterday at the Miami airport--ran into lots of folks that were leaving their vacations early to get home--we really didn't know for sure if it was a REAL storm--which it is--or just too much rain/wind--not a lot to do on the islands--when it's constand hard rain/wind.

I see here on CC that some of the cruise ships have been re-routed because of the storm--and YES--Aruba was being pounded--just like I knew.

Probably wouldn't plan a land trip at this time of the year--we had never gone in October before--would go back to August or come other time--Still love ARUBA

Nancy:D

When we reached Miami airport--we found ourselves waiting for flights home with others that had left--not Aruba, but St. Thomas, Grand Cayman etc.

The only information that I have--other than torn of roofs and downed trees -- is a woman with a business in St Thomas and Aruba--she was periodically speaking to her husband on the phone--he told her that the new mall that sits behind the Hyatt was flooding--stores were trying to keep up the battle with the water and appeared to be losing--this lady has a jewelry store in that mall and also somewhere in St. Thomas.

The strange thing to me was that no one visiting Aruba staying at the Hyatt was questioning this strange weather--having been there before we realized that this was NOT NORMAL for Aruba. We had planned to come home Tuesday anyway--glad that we did--we left at 5am knowing that we would have 8-1/2 hours in Miami--we did have an afternoon flight--glad we changed.

The weather sites were giving a little information on Aruba--but, I think that their information has moved on along with the hurricane

Nancy:D

Archived