Formal clothing on Spirit/Egypt tours

inquiring minds

Hi Folks,

I am seeking advice on formal clothing for our cruise on Spirit Nov. 15 beginning in Alexandria. Do we plan on tux and a long gown? Or cocktail length ok? Since this is our first Seabourn cruise, I'd like to know what others plan to pack.

Also, reading about touring in Egypt, I see that no hair, elbows, knees, toes, or body shape should show in order to avoid harassment. Are there experienced travelers who can shed some light on this? I understand that clothing should be modest, but really? long, full skirts ONLY? No capris or sandals?

Can't wait to hear what others are planning or have experienced! Thanks.

Hi Folks,

I am seeking advice on formal clothing for our cruise on Spirit Nov. 15 beginning in Alexandria. Do we plan on tux and a long gown? Or cocktail length ok? Since this is our first Seabourn cruise, I'd like to know what others plan to pack.

Also, reading about touring in Egypt, I see that no hair, elbows, knees, toes, or body shape should show in order to avoid harassment. Are there experienced travelers who can shed some light on this? I understand that clothing should be modest, but really? long, full skirts ONLY? No capris or sandals?

It has been a few years since I was in Egypt..but...slacks capris...etc were acceptable then. If you are going into a mosque..then you must cover up. A shawl is wonderful for that. More important..it is very dusty, khakis..or tans are good..cause you really absorb the dust. As for sandals..I see no harm, but..again..it is so dusty that enclosed feet are better..also...you have lots of walking on uneven terrain..thus a sturdier shoe..other than a sandal is better. It is a good idea to carry a pair of socks..so that if you have to take off shoes to enter a mosque..you can put them on, rather than go barefoot.

As for formal..what ever length is great..just be yourself. Long elegant pants are quite nice too. Enjoy the trip of a lifetime. Egypt is amazing. Lola

Hi Folks,

Hi Camille and Steve.

This is our first Seabourn cruise too. It's very exciting.

I can't comment on the ladies' clothing.

I am bringing a dinner suit, a navy blue suit and a lighter linen/wool jacket, extra pairs of dress trousers and chinos. I hope to mix and match.

The dress standard for Egypt above sounds a bit severe. (more like for Saudi Arabia!). I would think a simple head scarf, shoulders and knees covered and general modesty would be fine.

I know it's much harder for women!

Christopher has bought a pair of trousers with zip off legs for touring in Muslim countries. (He really feels the heat).

We look forward to meeting you next month.

Cheers,

Steve (and Chris)

"Also, reading about touring in Egypt, I see that no hair, elbows, knees, toes, or body shape should show in order to avoid harassment. ...I understand that clothing should be modest, but really? long, full skirts ONLY? No capris or sandals?"

Inquiring Minds - We spent a couple of days in Luxor, Egypt this past spring on the Silver Whisper Dubai-Athens cruise. Just to be sure that I wasn't having another of my all-too-frequent senior moments, I checked my photos. Most of the women in our Silversea group either wore long pants, pants that just covered the knee (capris ??), or long cotton skirts. All sorts of footwear (although I agree with Lola that sturdy walking shoes or athletic shoes are much more practical for the rough terrain of some sites). Lots of hair, shoulders, elbows, bare backs, and body shapes were visible (subject to sensible protection against the sun in some cases). In some other groups in my photos, many of the women are in tank tops and very short shorts. As for men, about half were wearing shorts and half wearing long pants. It appeared to be more of a sun/heat issue that a cultural dress code issue.

Going into mosques in Eqypt (like many other places) is, however, a very different matter. There, bare shoulders and legs are not appropriate. Hair does not have to be covered completely; but in many mosques, it is expected that women will wear a head covering of some sort, such as a scarf. Please bear in mind that our experience in Luxor did not include mosques. I have never worn shorts into a mosque or church in any country.

I agree with Steve that the sort of severe dress code for women that you describe is much more like that we experienced in Saudi Arabia.

Cheers, Fred

our favorite cruise! We arrived in Cairo three days early to do additional touring. Modest clothes, no sleevless tops or above the knee pants, skirts, etc. were all seen. We dressed for dinner at the FS. One thing we took and loved was a walking stick. It made the climbing and uneven stairs a snap. Have a wonderful trip. We are going again in 09 to see Jordan and Dubai.

It sounds like we are all on the same page for the touring aspect of this trip. The info I read was from women who had toured extensively or lived in Egypt. I am hoping that modest clothing will be acceptable in areas where tourists frequent. I have no intention of ignoring local customs such as the dress required for touring mosques, etc., however I don't think I would find much use for an extensive wardrobe of miu-mius!!!!!

Thanks to all who have responded and , Steve and Chris, we will see you in the Sky Bar on board Nov. 15th.

If anyone else has advice about on board clothing, I am all ears!

1 TUX 2 Blazers I just heard that there will be 6 formal nights from Athens to Dubai. Not bad considering. Wife is happy about that. Nor how to pack for 2 + climates

Hi Steve,

11 formals for us from Rome to Singapore! So, probably 1 per week up to Alexandria and then 4 each for Alexandria to Dubai and Dubai to Singapore.

You're right about the weather. Cool before Egypt and then progressively hotter and hotter!

It could be a bit nippy at the Sky Bar on Nov 1, but we'll see you there anyway after the Boat drill. (providing we're back from touring Athens). The weather on deck should be much warmer on November 15 for meeting the other 2 Steves and partners!

Now for the packing.......

I still have 2 more days at work and then 10 wonderful weeks off! I don't think anyone will get any sense from me on Monday or Tuesday:rolleyes:

Steve.

I have just printed off my Qantas Boarding passes for our very long one hour flight tomorrow!! :D Have a great cruise on the Spirit, I will be thinking of you all and becoming more green every day! Looking forward to hearing all about it, from whoever wants to let us know! :p

I have just printed off my Qantas Boarding passes for our very long one hour flight tomorrow!! :D Have a great cruise on the Spirit, I will be thinking of you all and becoming more green every day! Looking forward to hearing all about it, from whoever wants to let us know! :p

Thanks Lorraine. I'm looking forward to reading about your first mainstream cruiseline adventure. Are you going to post from the ship?

I'm still thinking about whether to post 'live' from Spirit. I want to, but not sure if I have the dedication to do it regularly.

Have a great cruise,

Steve.

Archived