Same sex partners taking formal pictures and misc other pictures?

Tess2mommies

My partner and I are going on our first cruise. We would love to take all the pictures that are available for us to take. However, we are unsure of the position of the crew, photographer, passengers seeing two women pose together as a loving couple. Is it normal for people of the same sex to take pictures or are your generally stared upon?

Please give me some enlightenment on this subject.:confused:

Same feedback about the HAL ships and having the photo taken. Only once did I need to reiterate to the photographer that I actually *wanted* to be standing that close to my partner when he thought it was just two guys / friends having their photo - hehe.

No problems on NCL cruises, either...

My partner of 20 years and I always have a photo or two taken on formal night...but, for some reason, we look really OLD in the most recent pix!?!

Oh well... Have a great first cruise!

Malaisha--

Jump in front of those cameras together!

Hold your head high and your honey close!

Have the CD introduce yourself and your sweetie to the Captain as a couple!:)

If anyone bats an eye, they don't matter anyway - this is your life and your vacation.

Have a great time!!!

:D

Brian,

You are too funny, I should've known you were from the city! But I will take your advice and hold my head nice and high:cool: ! Although i'm unsure how my partner would feel about letting the whole ship know!:eek:

Thanks for the post:)

My partner and I were part of a straight group numbering 16 and the entire group decided to have a large formal photo of everyone. The ships photog. started arranging everyone with the tallest male standing the middle, then he asked for his wife to be seated in front of him. Then he asked for the next tallest male, just happened to be my martner. The photog. then asked who was his wife. I just raised my hand and said 'guess that be me', and proceded to be seated in front of him. The photog. did not bat an eye. It is one of our favorite group photos from any trip.

Robb

My partner and I of 16 years have been on Princess twice now and we have always had the pictures done as a couple. Never have we been made to fefl uncomfortable by the crew or passengers. I think you'll have a great cruise and don't worry about the photography. Pose as you'd like.

In December on Disney Cruise Lines, my partner and I were in line waiting to get our picture taken. The photographer posed us and then asked if we would feel comfortable putting our arms around each other. It was a subtle and discrete way of asking us if we were a couple. Virtually every photographer on the ship did the same or something very similar. We got some great portraits.

Malaisha:

My partner and I have had photos taken on all the cruise lines we've sailed on and never encountered any problems.

Remember to have several taken at different times, and at various locations with different backgrounds ... you are under no obligation to buy them all and some will turn out better than others.

Have a fantastic cruise !

Dave

Hello

My Companion and I have been on both Carnival and Princess and never had a problem at all with Pictures or anything else we alway have formal pic made togeather and we even danced togeather on Princess dont worrie I look at it like this you pay your money just like everyone else so go and Have a good time and dont worry what others may say but I dont think you will ever have a problem have a good day James

I will share my experience with you. This is what I posted on my Epinions review of the Galaxy.

The photography left a lot to be desired. Our first experience came on the first formal night, when we had to wait in a long line to pose for formal portraits. We watched how all the other couples were posing, and when the photographer wanted to pose us back-to-back we declined and asked for the standard couples poses. (I did portrait photography as a hobby several years ago, and back-to-back is a standard "friends" pose.) The male photographer was quite accommodating and posed us as the other couples had posed.

Later, while we were eating dinner, a female photographer was making the rounds of the tables. We heard her telling people that she was "taking pictures of couples tonight," but when she reached our table she said she was taking pictures of individuals. I realize it's not very apparent that my partner and I are a couple, but when we asked for our picture taken that way she seemed rather taken aback, though she did take the picture.

On the second formal night, our formal portraits were taken by the same female photographer. She tried to get us to do the back-to-back pose as well, which we again declined, and arranged ourselves in the couples poses. Suddenly she cut our posing short, announcing that we were done, when I had been watching and knew perfectly well that the "looking into each other's eyes" pose still remained. I called her on it and said we wanted that picture as well, and she looked a bit annoyed as we arranged ourselves for it.

Fortunately, by the time she came around to our table, she recognized that we were there as a couple and took our picture together without batting an eye.

Etoile,

Yes, often times it's hard to figure out if two women are friends of lovers. More so when there are no defined gender roles.

That's an interesting experience you had. I'm happy everything turned out to be okay.

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience,:cool:

Malaisha

Sorry to cut in but I saw the topic and felt I had some answers. My brother was a ship phototgrapher for a year. He now works behind the scenes. He says he loved taking pictures of happy couples, any type of couple. He said shots where people are truly happy to have their picture taken come out the best. Also people who have more "vacation" money to spend, buy more photos. When he worked the register for purchases he would take note of the people BUYING their shots and try to focus more on them the rest of the trip. He now is in a position that if he was to hear a complaint about a photographer not being "friendly" ,he could, and would do something about it.

I wish I could afford to buy more pictures, but at $25 per 8x10 it's a real ripoff. We bought our two formal portraits and that was all we could afford; we didn't find out until later that we could have gotten smaller prints for cheaper! The only candids they took of us were those at the dinner table.

Could it be that the rest of the time, they didn't realize we were a couple and would have wanted other candids taken of us together?

On Mercury, 10/13 to 10/24 my partner and I went to the Captain's party for couples celebrating anniversaries and weddings and had our picture taken. We chose not to buy it when it was shown in the ship's gallery of photography. Do pose as a couple and enjoy your cruise!

Archived