New to NCL - Questions

Aunty KK

We are taking our first NCL cruise in January on the Gem from NYC to the Caribbean and have some questions I hope someone will be kind enough to answer. Our previous cruises have been on HAL, Costa and Royal Caribbean.

We are sailing in an AF mini suite 11596.

Will there be bathrobes in the cabin?

The cabin in mid-ship...has anyone experienced excessive noise or vibration?

Will we need extension cords?

Will there be talks or lectures (other than the dreaded (at least by me) shopping propaganda) about maritime history, flora and fauna, etc.

Is there a deck good for walking...on HAL 3 times around one of the decks equaled 1 mile.

January seems like a long way off but I like to be prepared and am sure I'll think of many more questions. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

welcome to freestyle. as for the gem, midship will have the least problem with vibration, so i guess you picked the right cabin. robes, i believe are only available for penthouse suites and above. [cat. AE and higher]. i'm not sure what type of lectures or programs will be offered, but the cruise daily will have all the days events listed. i'm sure you will find something you like. the gem has a promenade on deck 7, for walking. extension cords? not sure why you would need them. anyway, i'm sure your TA or ncl could answer any questions you might have. good luck. p.s. the gem is a BEAUTIFUL ship.

I think you'll have bathrobes too, but if not, ask your room steward for some. Bring a power strip. You'll probably need extra plugs. Supposedly with NCL's new upgrade called 2.0 they've added some really great lectures like you've mentioned. January is right around the corner!!

We are taking our first NCL cruise in January on the Gem from NYC to the Caribbean and have some questions I hope someone will be kind enough to answer. Our previous cruises have been on HAL, Costa and Royal Caribbean.

Will there be talks or lectures (other than the dreaded (at least by me) shopping propaganda) about maritime history, flora and fauna, etc.

Is there a deck good for walking...on HAL 3 times around one of the decks equaled 1 mile.

January seems like a long way off but I like to be prepared and am sure I'll think of many more questions. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Welcome to CC, you will be surprised how quickly Jan will be here, especially with the holidays to plan for. We booked our Novembe/Dec cruise months ago, I can't believe it is 5 and 1/2 weeks away.

robes: most likely yes, but if not just ask for them.

extension cord: that depends, we do not use a lot of electrical appliances so never have needed one, but if you want to do the curling iron and he is shaving you will want a strip.

Midship: no problems unless the seas are very rough, you are sitll in the best location.

Walking or jogging, no problems, the sports crew will tell you how many times around the ship to get your mile in.

Lectures, yes, there will be some.

Nita

• 1 year later...

Do you have any pictures of this cabin? I have that one 9/18/10 :)

A power strip is a must for us: to charge our cell phone, camera battery and we bring a night light and plug it in -- even with the drapes open it is DARK -- beautiful with no lights to distract you, but DARK.

Instead of bringing a night light we tend to leave the closet light on...works like a charm on the GEM. There are openings at the top and bottom that let enough light out, so the door can be closed and you still light up the important areas in the cabin. :)

Just to let you know a mini suite is about the same size as a D1 cabin. You might have a few problem making dinner reservations on your own. So make sure you use the service of The Concierges.

I didn't think the mini-suites on the GEM had use of the concierge? Maybe this is something new???

This cabin is more like a deluxe balcony. In fact, if not already informed, you would think it was just a balcony. No suite perks. No concierge.

There is a sign out on deck that tells about the walking distance. Have done it many times.

A few talks and lectures, not lots.

Archived