personal attendant and/or nurse

terkatz56

I am wondering if anyone has hired a personal attendant or nurse on their cruise and how they found that person. Also what were the cruise and cabin arrangements that they used for the hired individual? I would not limit this to just skilled care, as done by a nurse but for any assistance that may be needed. Thank you for any info.

It is usually best and easiest to take either your regular caregiver/PCA with you (you of course pay their way for airfare and cruise costs) or find a friend or relative who would do this also in exchange for the cruise fare or hire someone at home that you can use as your regular PCA for a week or so of training and care in your home environment first. Generally people share a cabin since a single is very expensive (usually 150-200% of the shared rate) and may be in some distance away...maybe not even on the same deck.

If they must accompany you ashore, you are also responsible for paying their meals and excursion costs. This is all in addition to paying a salary. Most PCAs would not work for you, even on a cruise, just in exchange for your paying their expenses, while many friends or family members might.

I go as my mother's PCA when we cruise as her regular PCA cannot travel (she has other family and job responsibilities as well) but I know my mother's care and we already have the routine down. Training someone who does not know you in a strange environment, when you don't know about your compatibility or their skills, and with no option to replace them if they don't work out for you or are not willing to do the work agreed to is not a comfortable option for us. I have heard some real disaster stories.

Archived