Which port for SCUBA?

elttes reven

i will be cruising in april, ports of call will be, Grand Cayman 7-4, Cozumel 10-6, Belize 8-5, and Roatan 8-3. where should i book for a SCUBA trip, and for a first time SCUBA should i book with cruise or private? i look forward to it very much and plan tpo have a camera as well.

pros and cons of each would be great. i've heard things about GC, Coz, and Belize. i just dont know where to go.

thanks in advance.

My DH always wanted to take up scuba diving. We booked with a private tour operator (can't recall name at moment) and he did the "Beginner Scuba" course in Grand Cayman. This worked great because he found that he loves scuba and got to scuba with the Stingrays and the rest of us were on top snorkeling.

He said it was amazing how they swim right around you. What an experience for all of us.

i will be cruising in april, ports of call will be, Grand Cayman 7-4, Cozumel 10-6, Belize 8-5, and Roatan 8-3. where should i book for a SCUBA trip, and for a first time SCUBA should i book with cruise or private? i look forward to it very much and plan tpo have a camera as well.

pros and cons of each would be great. i've heard things about GC, Coz, and Belize. i just dont know where to go.

thanks in advance.

It sounds like you aren't a diver yet. I would recommend taking a course in the states. 2 reasons:

1) You can spend your vacation diving in the gorgeous Caribbean instead of in a pool learning how to dive. That way, you can dive in all 4 of your ports.

2) You're going to pay for the course either way. Most dive shops have specials on dive courses during the winter when they're slow. Support an American dive shop for your training.

What ever you decide - have a great trip and DSAO (dive safe and often)

My son and I just took our first post-certification dives in Grand Cayman and Cozumel last week. First dive was a shallow shore dive at Sunset House in Grand Cayman. The have a shallow "sea pool" cut into the shoreline which allowed us to get comfortable before swimming out of the pool and into the ocean. There's lots to see there even if you never leave the "pool". Since we hadn't been diving since our certification in April, this was very helpful. Was slightly annoyed that they didn't provide the guide that I had arranged with them via e-mail, but it worked out well just the same.

In Cozumel, we booked with "Scuba with Alison" and did a boat dive with a dive master and 2 other divers. You'll get much more personal attention with a private dive than if you book through the ship. It will also, most likely, be less expensive.

Hope you have as much fun as we did.

i look forward to it very much and plan to have a camera as well.

My only advice is that you do not take a camera with you. You'll have enough on your plate to take car of without trying to take photos while you are breathing underwater.

If Grand Cayman is your first stop, go there--then you may decide to go everywhere else. ALL are dive destinations!!

Check with Sunset House for a Discover Scuba course or Resort course--whatever they call it. The dive out front of the resort is very nice and easily accessible. It's maybe a half a mile to the right off the tender dock. Also check the price on the ship trip of the same sort. Either should be painless on GC. A little tougher at the other ports, especially Belize, as the cruise ships anchor about 4 miles from the shore--so take the ship trip for convenience--the dive boat will pick you up at the cruise ship.........Dive shops every step in Coz., arrange your own. Roatan is fairly easy too, but on GC, it can be a short walk to good diving.

thanks in advance.

I have been diving GC, Cozumel, and Belize. (GC and Belize while I was onboard the Legend, like you will be!)

GC I chose shore diving at Eden Rock, good prices, walked from the pier, friendly staff, would go again. Lots of swim thrus, diving was average to good, not exceptional, but relaxed and fun.

Belize I used the cruise ship diving excursion and was very glad I did. It saved me a tender into Belize as they use Hugh Parkey's Dive Connection and let them pick you right up off the ship. To me, you'd be crazy to do it any other way. It is a bit larger boat but we were not crowded, plenty of friendly staff (and as a solo female for that dive adventure they were just friendly and helpful enough, but not TOO friendly if you get what I mean.) Highly recommended.

Cozumel had beautiful diving... my experience was marred by a bad tour operator experience and some mild illness so I don't feel able to comment appropriately.

My only advice is that you do not take a camera with you. You'll have enough on your plate to take car of without trying to take photos while you are breathing underwater.

Ditto not taking the camera. Never, ever, ever think that you can manage taking pictures or video on your first open water dives. You are endangering yourself, your dive buddy, and the reef. If pictures are that important to you then take classes near your home to get certified, then get serious about doing open water dives near your home to practice your skills. Even the simplest camera is dangerous in the hands of new diver.

I know this sounds harsh, but we have witnessed accidents involving several new divers with cameras in all of the places you will be traveling to.

Excellent advice!! I totally agree! New/er divers need to leave the cameras on the boat. New divers need to keep it simple and enjoy the dive.

Anne

• 2 months later...

Are you certified? Or will you be taking the Discover Scuba dive?

I was taking pictures on my first dives and looking back now I see it was not the best thing to be doing. You'll have plenty of other things to be doing while diving. Maybe give your camera to your dive master and have them take a few shots of you underwater.

I love diving in Cozumel. www.divewithmartin is right on the International Pier. They offer the Discover Scuba for $60 from the shore, $80 from a boat. The sell dive DVDs which are wonderful.

Archived