Planning a New Years 2009 Cruise - advice?

JBert

Hey gang-

Just a little background, did FOS in 6/08, doing LOS 5/09. My wife will be 24, I'll be 25, living in Connecticut.

Looking to do a New Years cruise, 2009/10.

Did some poking around, came up with a few - prices are more expensive being the holiday.

The two that seem the most appealing are:

7 Night Mexican Riviera out of LA on Mairner, on 12-27-09

5 Night Bahamas out of PC on Monarch, on 12-28-09

There were a few other cruises that were offered, but they were pushing the $6,000, which is a little over budget for us.

For both, we're looking at a balcony stateroom. On Monarch, RCCL has a really good deal on a Deluxe Suite @ around $1,300 PP, which sounds good.

We're looking for advice, suggestions, comments etc. Anyone ever do a New Years cruise?

Hey gang-

Just a little background, did FOS in 6/08, doing LOS 5/09. My wife will be 24, I'll be 25, living in Connecticut.

Looking to do a New Years cruise, 2009/10.

Did some poking around, came up with a few - prices are more expensive being the holiday.

The two that seem the most appealing are:

7 Night Mexican Riviera out of LA on Mairner, on 12-27-09

5 Night Bahamas out of PC on Monarch, on 12-28-09

There were a few other cruises that were offered, but they were pushing the $6,000, which is a little over budget for us.

For both, we're looking at a balcony stateroom. On Monarch, RCCL has a really good deal on a Deluxe Suite @ around $1,300 PP, which sounds good.

We're looking for advice, suggestions, comments etc. Anyone ever do a New Years cruise?

Did a New Years cruise on the Mariner 2 years ago, and are booked on the Freedom for 2009/10, E2 balcony for 2 is $4563.10 total at the moment.

It's $900 pp more than the monarch but also it's 2 extra nights and the largest, at the moment, 2nd largest when we sail, ship in the world, where as the monarch is the smallest in the fleet.

If you can't swing the Freedom, then out of the 2 you are comparing, I would go for the mariner every time

Of all the ships I've been on, Mariner has been my favorite so far. The crew was top notch and I enjoyed everything that class of ship has to offered.

If you're considering Monarch though, you might want to consider the 2 night December 26th, 2009 back to back with the December 28th 5 night. If you do that in a suite, you'd get 4 cruise credits. :)

If you're considering Monarch though, you might want to consider the 2 night December 26th, 2009 back to back with the December 28th 5 night. If you do that in a suite, you'd get 4 cruise credits. :)

That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to have to check it out. How does it end up 4 credits? 2 per trip?

As for the Freedom Idea, we had sailed on her this past June and loved it. Being new to cruising, but hooked on RCCL, we're trying to try different ships and destinations as much as possible. We're also doing Liberty in this coming May.

Do the Mariner~ In my opinion the Monarch is an arm pit. Small ship, ship does not offer much entertainment wise and no decent promenade. If your going to spend that kind of money better to take a great ship. I have done 2 New Years cruises with my 3rd booked ( all on Carnival) and we had fantastic times. If I could afford RCL over New Years it would be a no brainer, the Mariner over the Monarch is a no brainer..

Cruise points. 1 for each cruise (2) and 1 for a suite on each cruise (2) = 4 points.

Have a great time!!

Happy Cruising!!

Donna

I just got off the phone with RCCL. Hate to say it, but their booking agents aren't the most friendly in comparison to another line i spoke with. I guess its all about the ships in the end.

For Monarch, doing the B2B making the cruise a 7 day, it came out to about $5600 with airfare.

In comparison, we can do the 7 night Mexican Riviera run for $5300 with airfare. I have a feeling that the wife is going to like the Mexican run better.

Any other ideas?

Just on a side note, the agent said that they are not offering an OBC for this unless I was to book on a cruise - any ideas of how I can get that OBC another way?

Find a travel agent who offers OBC as a perk for booking with them.

Buy 100 shares of RCI stock.

Find friends who will be taking a cruise soon and want to book the same NYE cruise that you do. Have them book on board and get Friends' Certificates.

NYE Cruise is quite fun. DW, DD, and I all had a blast doing a NYE and are booked for another in less than three months.

Yes the pricing is much higher...if you just want to go on a cruise at that time of year, wait a week and the price may be half of the NYE week cruise.

The Suite on the Monarch is smaller than a suite on the newer larger ships...so keep that in mind.

We are on Voyager this time and likely will book Voyager again for the year after just because it leaves from nearly the back yard. (Ok about an hour from driveway to pier, but a lot closer than Florida.)

Archived