Hurricane in June/July 2009 in Southern Caribbean?

cruiseman40

Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30, with the majority of activity occurring in September/October.

Could a hurricane occur during your cruise? Yes.

Should you be worried? No.

Ships, unlike hotels, can be repositioned in the event of bad weather.

And there is plenty of advance notice available to allow for changes. For example, the most recent hurricane (Omar) was on track to hit Puerto Rico on a Wednesday. We knew about the possibility as early as the preceding Sunday, which gave us about 4 days to prepare for the storm.

That's plenty of time for a ship full of people to get out of harm's way.

Hope this helps!

RayInPR:

Thanks for the tidbits! Glad to hear that it's not a major concern during the times we're going. I seldom hear anything about Hurricanes early in summer months being from California so I was just wondering. I hear big ones after August usually from the Media so I'm glad I shouldn't be that concerned.

We went to PR on July of 06 and had the same concerns. We were lucky not to have a hurricane at that time but when we arrived it was raining in San Juan. Because of the rain, the tour in Bacardi was delayed for hours. The rain let up by late afternoon and we were able to walk around OSJ for a little bit. We did not have any rain for the rest of the cruise. :D

travellovers2: great and ty for the advice. Looking forward to going with family and friends. So should we take a parka/water proof type of jacket just in case?

You are traveling during rainy season for the whole Caribbean.... I think it is a good idea. You may get lucky and have great weather, but maybe no.

We always pack either a small umbrella, raincoats or both, just in case.

A little rain never hurt anyone.

We take those plastic ponchos that you can fold up and use again. :D Puerto Rico is a beautiful island. We missed a lot of it last time so we're going back for more. Think twice about a tour, but if you just have to, then make sure your time is well put to use. Lots to see in very little time.

Archived