Bad cabin experience on the Jewel?

nursallie

Has anyone been on the Jewel in the past who did not like their cabin?

Any cabin where it's noisy ... or too far from elevators..... wasn't worth the price (outside,etc). Anyone have a porthole vs window? Is the front of the ship a bad location?

Thanks.

Any cabin where it's noisy ... or too far from elevators..... wasn't worth the price (outside,etc). Anyone have a porthole vs window? Is the front of the ship a bad location?

Thanks.

We did not like our cabin, but the cruise was so great it made up for it. We booked the Jewels first transatlantic sailing 3 years ago and had to take what was available. It was on deck 4 or 5 (I don't remember) and as far forward as you could get, only 1 cabin further forward. We heard the engine noise, I wasn't thrilled about walking at night from the stairs or elevator to the cabin alone and we didn't even have a particular good cabin stewardess, we never even met her. Yes, we had a porthole, but that certainly didn't bother us, it was kind of fun as we had a great deal of rain and it would hit the tube (I called it a tube) and run back off. I think you would be ok if you had a high deck, but watch out for the lower ones.

Nita

Thanks.

Our state room was terrible --noisy especially. I assumed that we got this poor state room, based on our late booking. It was the last state room on the port side of level 5, right in front of the crew's pool room and bar. The biggest problem was machinery noise. Starting around five in the morning, there was a very loud pump, which consistently woke me up. We tried to upgrade (even offering to pay), but received no help.:(

Our state room was terrible --noisy especially. I assumed that we got this poor state room, based on our late booking. It was the last state room on the port side of level 5, right in front of the crew's pool room and bar. The biggest problem was machinery noise. Starting around five in the morning, there was a very loud pump, which consistently woke me up. We tried to upgrade (even offering to pay), but received no help.:(

You likely "got no help" because..as you noted...you had a late booking..and the ship may have well been filled!

nurseallie -

No, never had a 'bad' cabin.

We were on the same crossing with Nita. Even though we were as far aft as you can get, we may have had the same cabin attendant. We did meet her, got a lot of smiles and nodding, but not much action.

So far all of our cruises have been in aft cabins. We book as soon as the itinerary is available in order to snatch one of those babies. You are protected from the wind (and most of the rain), don't have too much motion, but a gorgeous view. See below.

997829380_JewelRainbow.jpg.2cb92e8bd86971faa15d4c114e836361.jpg

I have a related question about Jewel cabins. We have a balcony on deck 8. I've been looking at some external photos of the jewel, and it looks like there are two different types of balconies. The ones on the 8th deck seem more closed in that the others. Has anyone stayed in one of these, and is there a noticeable difference? Yes, I know, I have the cheapest balcony so I should be happy with what I have ;)

Here is a picture I found that shows what I am talking about. Three levels of open balconies, then below that the balconies seem more closed in.

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/NCL/jewel-arrives.jpg

I have a related question about Jewel cabins. We have a balcony on deck 8. I've been looking at some external photos of the jewel, and it looks like there are two different types of balconies. The ones on the 8th deck seem more closed in that the others. Has anyone stayed in one of these, and is there a noticeable difference? Yes, I know, I have the cheapest balcony so I should be happy with what I have ;)

Here is a picture I found that shows what I am talking about. Three levels of open balconies, then below that the balconies seem more closed in.

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/NCL/jewel-arrives.jpg

While I've never had them on the Jewel, I've had similar "in hull" balconies before. Personally I like them as they seem more private and are sheltered from the wind. You're not going to be able to lay in the sun like on Princess' uncovered balconies, but it not all that much different from the Jewel's regular ones.

Thanks "Davejohn" for your input.....I've had the same concerns. We booked the "hull" type balconies without realizing their would be such a big difference and I've been really concerned on whether I'm going to like it or not. You've put my mind at ease!!!!

While I've never had them on the Jewel, I've had similar "in hull" balconies before. Personally I like them as they seem more private and are sheltered from the wind. You're not going to be able to lay in the sun like on Princess' uncovered balconies, but it not all that much different from the Jewel's regular ones.

Good to know! My husband saw the pictures and wasn't too happy. I gently reminded him he isn't paying for the trip so, deal :D I don't mind being more sheltered since I burn very easily!

I've never had one of the "hulled" balconies, but have read several posts indicating that they help cut down on the wind, too. We had real issues with the wind (mainly the noise) on our first cruise with a balcony on the Sun, so I'm considering trying one next time we go to Alaska.

Archived