Lengthy Glory Review 10/11 - 10/18; surprise visit to Grand Turk!

jenscruise

Thanks for the review. We sail on the Glory next Saturday! Can hardly wait, and your review made me all the more excited about our upcoming cruise. By the way, where were you in Vietnam? We were there in April of this year and just loved it--traveled from Hanoi to HCMC (Saigon) for 15 days. l'm also originally from Indiana (Wabash) but have lived in Florida for 37 years.

Thanks for the review. We sail on the Glory next Saturday! Can hardly wait, and your review made me all the more excited about our upcoming cruise. By the way, where were you in Vietnam? We were there in April of this year and just loved it--traveled from Hanoi to HCMC (Saigon) for 15 days. l'm also originally from Indiana (Wabash) but have lived in Florida for 37 years.

We spent a few days in Saigon then went 4 hours up the coast to a gorgeous town in Binh Thuan province called Phan Thiet.

ry%3D400

Will have Capers, S&S Bill, Shopping Fliers, etc. all posted tonight...stay tuned.

I can't find anywhere to host my many .pdfs for free (with unlimited public viewing), so I'll have to do the painstaking conversion of everything to .jpgs.

Anyone have another suggestion? Otherwise it might take a day or two.

Thanks!

Great review...thanks for sharing. We'll be on the Glory for a B2B next April. I hope the next 6 months fly by:D
what date are you starting your B2B? we will be on the 4-4-09 Glory cruise. if you are going to be on that come on over and join our roll call.

So nice to find someone who takes more pictures than me! LOL

We were onboard with you and seeing your avatar, I think you were in the Supper Club with us....at a table to my left. :)

Love reading a fellow cruisers perspective!

We were at a table of 4 Monday night from 8:00 - 11:00, right against the wall.

Nice to be recognized! LOL

[quote name=

Mark Weiser at the Cinn-a-Bar became the highlight of our nights. Such an incredibly talented, funny, and entertaining guy. He played with passion regardless of if there were two people or fifty. There were some great moments – a bidding war between Cher and Guns ‘N Roses (thankfully, Guns ‘N Roses won out), another one between Beatles and Elvis (I personally saw to it that the Beatles were victorious). We spent four or five evenings in the Cinn-a-Bar with Mark, and bought one of his CDs. If Mark is on your cruise YOU MUST GO, and take your dollars!

THANKS GUYS!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

[quote name=

Mark Weiser at the Cinn-a-Bar became the highlight of our nights. Such an incredibly talented, funny, and entertaining guy. He played with passion regardless of if there were two people or fifty. There were some great moments – a bidding war between Cher and Guns ‘N Roses (thankfully, Guns ‘N Roses won out), another one between Beatles and Elvis (I personally saw to it that the Beatles were victorious). We spent four or five evenings in the Cinn-a-Bar with Mark, and bought one of his CDs. If Mark is on your cruise YOU MUST GO, and take your dollars!

THANKS GUYS!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

We love you!! :p

By the way, the CD is kick-@$$

You still have to buy the 8x10 at the regular price ($22?) and then the digital image on the CD is just of the one photo you've selected.

However, in our case, the photo was one of the best pictures ever taken of us, so we plan on making that $9.99 for the digital image go a long way!

That's a pretty good deal,,,you can have 5X7's and wallet's made at Walmart that way for next to nothing,,,I will remember this tip :)

DH and I booked on the Inspiration in 11 days (yeah), but are seriously considering the Glory in September,,,,after reading this review, I don't know if I can WAIT 10 months!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for going to the effort,,,much appreciated,,,Holly

That's a pretty good deal,,,you can have 5X7's and wallet's made at Walmart that way for next to nothing,,,I will remember this tip :)

DH and I booked on the Inspiration in 11 days (yeah), but are seriously considering the Glory in September,,,,after reading this review, I don't know if I can WAIT 10 months!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for going to the effort,,,much appreciated,,,Holly

Yes, I just had a ton of 4x6s made at Wal Mart for 28 cents each. Quite the bargain!

Yes, I just had a ton of 4x6s made at Wal Mart for 28 cents each. Quite the bargain!

I agree!!! I always buy the disc when I have pictures done and it's an option,,,just had pics done of my grandchildren for their mother for Xmas,,,bought the package for 79.95 and the disc for 39.95,,,made a BUNCH of copies and gave them to EVERYONE,,,certainly makes the money you spend on pics worth it :) BTW, if you download them TO Walmart and wait a day (rather than the instant ones), you can get them for even cheaper than 28 cents,,,I believe it was like 19 cents, but it goes on volume and I had about 40 or 50 made :) Might help you out with all those 1500 pictures you took, though :D

Holly

Enjoyed your review.

We have been thinking of going to Graycliff- now we will!

Also, good to read about Grand Turk. Thanks.

Graycliff is definitely worth the "stroll", especially if you want to purchase cigars. They are wonderful. We had a red, a blue, and a crystal onboard the Glory, and all were spectacular.

http://www.graycliff.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=127&op=page&SubMenu=

Also worth the walk just for the grounds. They have a 5-star restaurant as well, but since our time in port was so short, we couldn't stay for that indulgence.

Thanks for a very thorough review! We have sailed on the Glory a few times, so I was right there with you - so to speak - as I read along!

SUR MER: As I indicated previously, the fish and chips did not meet our threshold for good Fish & Chips. The Fish was too greasy, but not in the good “English Greasy” sort of fish way. The chips weren’t proper English chips – they were just French Fries. So, disappointed, we didn’t go back. I will say that it was NEVER busy, as it seems a lot of people did not know it was up there.

I also noticed last time (August 31, 2008) that they only had regular fries - they used to have CHIPS mixed in with fries. I felt that the fish was quite good this time, perhaps they needed new oil or something when you were there.

ART AUCTION: After all I’d read about the scams that Park West pulls, I was curious to attend the art auction for myself just to see what it was really like. By the way, they don’t even serve real Champagne, it’s just sparkling wine, so that’s “scam” #1. The second is that they are charging $17,000 for seriolithographs that are not worth half of that. I feel badly for people who fall for their misrepresentations hook, line, and sinker. The auctioneer was very slick and went through the terms and conditions literally at lightning speed, so as to gloss over some of the more important points. We got bored at the endless spiel about what an important artist Itzchak Tarkay was, and coming away with the impression he is locked somewhere in a basement churning out forced artwork for Park West, we decided to leave after about 45 minutes.

I feel the same way about the art auction!

BINGO: On my last cruise, I won $100 playing Bingo, so I figured my Bingo mojo was expired. I was absolutely right. I hardly had any numbers called in the one game. Oh well, I had won on roulette as well as getting a free mini facial, so I had plenty luck on this cruise.

We won $500 on our FIRST cruise, NOTHING since then – so my BINGO MOJO is history too!

SUPPER CLUB:[/font][/size]

Okay, let me preface by saying the Supper Club was worth every penny of the $30. It was an EXCELLENT meal for $30. Was it the best meal I’ve ever had? Absolutely not. Was it in the top 10 ever? Not even close.

The food itself was of good quality, but I have had better food at restaurants in Chicago, London, Saigon, heck, even in Indianapolis. The service, while very professional, was quite overbearing. When you have a fine dining experience, the service should be barely noticeable in it’s efficiency. In between each course, the dining staff would come over and ask “can we clean?” I realized this is how they were trained, but we found it overbearing. I’ve been at restaurants with a team of 3 waiters for a table of two, and you barely notice them. Here it felt as though they were “hovering” constantly.

The Sommelier was good, however. We selected a nice bottle of Silver Oak, one of our favorite Cabs. She brought it out and decanted it properly. She certainly knew her stuff, which was valued by us and acknowledged accordingly in terms of gratuity.

The experience was nice, however. There were a few little “compliments of the chef” courses, such as tomato and orange soup, salmon and crème, and petite fours at the close of the evening.

For my appetizer, I ordered escargots, of which there were five presented in two different styles. All very good. I had Caesar salad, prepared tableside, but found the dressing a bit anchovy-heavy.

I had rack of lamb for my main course, which was beautiful in it’s presentation and prepared medium well, perfect to maintain the tenderness and flavor of the lamb. My dessert was the Chocolate Tarte, which was beautiful to look at and the four different cups each had an interesting consistency.

In summary: yes, the food was good. The service was good but very “present”, and not always in a good way. It was worth every penny of $30, but not the best meal I’ve never had. Not even close.

That’s a very good observation about them hovering ! We have enjoyed the Golden Fleece many times (and many other Carnival supper clubs) – yet I did feel that our recent trip there was not quite what it has been. Still a very good meal, but the place did not seem to have a real flow – as it had in the past.

SEA DAY #3 (FRIDAY): The last day is always so sad! We’d waited 8 months for this cruise, and now only had one day left. I was determined to enjoy the heck out of it.

Boy… been there, done that – always a little depressing!

Thanks again for the fine review!

Tom

Archived