Opinions on best snorkeling, please.

wheatley

We've been to Curacao, Aruba and St. Kitts.

The best place out of those three would be Curacao, based on where I've gone. I recommend you go to Playa Porto Mari first thing and stay there all day. While we had heard some recommendations before it is a bit far so we hadn't gone there until our last trip. Our biggest mistake was pre-arranging the cab ride back for mid afternoon so we could go downtown and shop. Shopping was mediocre and we really wish we had stayed on the beach another hour or two. Great snorkeling from shore, nice facilities, fantastic beach, clean restrooms, decent food, and there is even equipment rentals there. I've also heard of tour guides that do snorkeling tours and take you to several different nice spots, but in my opinion you can't beat a day at Play Porto Mari. Click here for some photos

In Aruba there are a handful of excursions that go to the same two places - a sunken ship (I think it's called the Antilla) and a nearby reef. The most fun excursions are on the large old fashioned sailing schooners. One is the Mi Dushi, and one is the Jolly Pirates - Both are equally as good and one or the other usually has a cruise line sponsored excursion or you can book on your own. Both have a nice day sail that includes open bar, snorkeling gear, lunch, the two snorkeling stops and a rope swing. Snorkeling quality varies from good to so-so depending on waves and water currents. We've heard pretty mixed reviews of the other spots. Photo click here

St. Kitts is the site of my favorite ship sponsored excursion (usually we go on our own at other islands) the Fan-Ta-Sea. It is a catamaran ride along the coast of St. Kitts (beautiful scenery) with a snorkeling stop in a cove. Water isn't always crystal clear, will depend on recent weather, but there is a lot of interesting stuff to see there in addition to fish - I've seen lots of conk, and sometimes an eel, lobster or even an octopus. Boat continues after the snorkeling to a wonderful beach on nearby Nevis where they have a hot picnic lunch set up, hot dogs, chicken, salads, etc) and some time for swimming. Then it's party time as the catamaran sails back at the end of the day. Photos click here (2004) here (2007) or Here (2007).

We were in Curacao in April and we used Curacao-actief. They have either a 1/2 or full day snorkel and the cost was not bad either. We had a wonderful 2 stop snorkel and Andy also exposed us to the sights of this special island.

You will not go wrong with using them.

Archived