Barcelona questions

How far is the centre of town from the dock? Is it walkable?

Regarding an excursion---would you recommend the Hop on Hop off tour, and where do you pick it up? Near where the ship docks?

thanks for the infor

The problem with the HOHO bus is that during the busy season it is often full which means that you have to wait for the next bus and hope there is room for you on that one. During the off-season it only runs once per hour, so waiting for the next bus can really cut into your available time.

The public transportation system is very good and easy to use in Barcelona. that is how I get around in the city.

It's not walkable from the dock but there is a shuttle bus for a few euros that will take you to the Columbus monument at the foot of Las Ramblas; then you can stroll along watching the street performers and meander into the Gothic Quarter and find a nice place for tapas.

We did the ho-ho this time last year and found it to be a reasonable way to see the city--personally don't feel like I needed a guide but that's me.

You will want to see some of the Gaudi architecture for which Barcelona is famous--they go by several sites on the ho-ho.

Cathy

During the off-season it only runs once per hour, so waiting for the next bus can really cut into your available time.

Not sure where that information came from as the HOHO bus website says the frequency of buses is between 5 and 25 mins depending on the season.:confused:

We used the HOHO bus extensively (in May) and found it a great way to get around the city. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus, usually less. If you're new to the city it's a good way to get your bearings, take some photos and learn a little on the way.

We'll be in Barcelona again next week but this time will be taking the public transport as it works out much better economically, especially using the T10 ticket. We also know exactly where we want to go, having spent several days there before. However, for first time visitors I think the HOHO bus is a good idea.

You can pick it up anywhere along the route and not just from one place. The route map is here http://www.tmb.net/en_US/turistes/busturistic/rutesiparades.jsp

Archived