Dolphin Deck Mini Suite ?

shartzog71

My husband and I won't cruise unless we have a mini suite. The cabin is so much larger and I enjoy the bathtub. We hardly ever see anyone above us and never had anything thrown on our balcony. I also like looking down at the ocean and not on other decks. As far as the sun is concerned, I like to lay out on my balcony, and I noticed that there is only about 3 hours where there is direct sun...otherwise we were in the shade. I forgot...you also have two TV's. One facing the sitting area, and the other facing the bed. That is nice too. The mini's are awesome. You won't regret getting one.

By the way... we have had mini's for our last 5 cruises. We are spoiled!

My husband and I won't cruise unless we have a mini suite. The cabin is so much larger and I enjoy the bathtub. We hardly ever see anyone above us and never had anything thrown on our balcony. I also like looking down at the ocean and not on other decks. As far as the sun is concerned, I like to lay out on my balcony, and I noticed that there is only about 3 hours where there is direct sun...otherwise we were in the shade. I forgot...you also have two TV's. One facing the sitting area, and the other facing the bed. That is nice too. The mini's are awesome. You won't regret getting one.

I think at times new passengers to Princess get a bit of a shock when they come from other cruise lines where the staterooms are totally different. I know we came from RCI, Celebrity and other assorted cruise lines and when we opened our door to our first balcony cabin, we kept looking for the rest of the stateroom. We were used to having at least a loveseat, even in some of the smaller staterooms on other lines, and were shocked that Princess provides pretty much just a sleeping area.

It took a couple of cruises before we realized that the mini suites were far less expensive then we had first thought. And lately, I have seen many cruises right around final payment time where a BB balcony stateroom is higher in price than a mini suite.

For us, it's a mini at the least. We enjoy the mini for many reasons, when it rains, we have a place to comfortably watch the seas go by, when it's very windy, we can still sit comfortably and wach the seas go by, or when it's too hot or too cold (depending on the intineray) we still have a little home away from home and not just a bedroom. But thats us, everyone doesn't feel the same, if they did, all the minis would be gone the minute they became available. ;)

It depends on your lifestyle and what you are used to living with at home. If you have a home with lots of space and expect a stateroom to afford ou at least a little extra room, then a mini is your best bet. If you only sleep,shower and change in our cabin and are out and about all day and most of the night and don't need a comfortable little home away from home to come back to, then a balcony cabin would keep you perfectly content.

We had D733 on Sapphire (7 days Mexican Rivera). Yes, those above us could see us, as well as, our neighbors to the side. We were shocked as to how few people used their balconies. We lived on ours! Never had trash or similar issues. Actually, the kids had a picnic lunch on the ground while we sipped wine. My parents didn’t have a balcony and on more than one occasion my mom, enjoyed ours! We love the sun, so no worries there.

It really is personal preference. I am too fat to lay by the pool without offending others (or feeling too self conscious) … the balcony was private enough, warm, and quiet. Privacy is really a personal interpretation. If you desire complete non-visual access, this would not be recommended.

Enjoy your trip....

Let me add to what others have said - we've had 4 minis suites on Dolphin deck and I actually prefer the open deck - I know some don't. No trash or problems from above, and we don't do anything that we'd have to worry about people seeing on the balcony (boring). I enjoy standing out there with a drink talking to neighbors - but we've rarely seen many of our neighbors, so it hasn't happened often.

I am concerned that our cabin's balcony is not covered. My TA did not bring this to my attention when I booked. Is there really going to be trash and cigarette butts and ashes out there in the mornings? Are we going to be able to enjoy our balcony or is it going to be too public?

The exposed balcony is wonderful IMO! I absolutely love being able to see the stars directly above me at night. :)

DH loves the full sunshine during the day. In fact, when we cruise on other lines or on other Princess ships without the exposed Dolphin Deck minis, he gets very disappointed having the balcony covering.

The only time we've ever had ashes land on us was on the Carnival Spirit and our balcony was fully covered. Don't know how that happened, but it gave my DH a second degree burn on his chest.

I agree with all the previous posters--I have had two previous Dolphin mini-suites and we are booked on one for next March. It's fabulous space and we have never been bothered by neighbors. I did have one single cigarette butt on my balcony but that's pretty minor. Note that the Bridge now watches the balconies 24 hours per day so that helps with any issues.

Not a lot of perks, but the mini suite does have a full sitting area with sofa, chair, tables, and two televisions and a larger bathroom with tub/shower combination. The only real perk involved with a mini is a glass of champagne delivered to your stateroom after arriving.

Hi Toto,

Thanks for all your great advice on "Everything Princess". We have learned a lot from you regarding our past Princess cabin selections. You're a champ ! (BTW - We loved the "Raindeer Antlers" in the mirror reflection of you taking the bar set-up photo on the SEA Princess AFT MiniSuite. :D )

Now, for my questions:

We will be on the Emerald Princees, 10 Day So. Caribbean Cruise this coming Jan/Feb 2009 celebrating my DW's B'Day. In her honor, I have reserved a Mini located AFT on Dolphin Deck (starboard). Our first MiniSuite. We have cruised in Princess Balconies twice before, Baja Deck AFT "BB" on the CP, and Caribe Deck MID "BA" on the Island, which was our favorite, 1/2 covered and appeared 50% larger then the fully exposed Mini Dolphin balconies directly below us ?

I know we will enjoy the more spacious cabin and my DW the larger bathroom with Tub, but will this Dolphin Deck "AC" MiniSuite balcony disappoint ? I expect it will be smaller, approx. the same size as our fully covered Baja Deck "BB" balcony on the CP ? Correct ? That large "BA" Caribe Balcony on the Island Princess may have spoiled us. :)

Also, don't the MiniSuites on Grand Class Ships have upgraded matresses, bed linens, duvets and bath towels ?

Thanks in advance for what I expect to be your well informed reply ! ;)

Archived