Royal Caribbean or Carnival ??????

candiesx2

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone could help me,I have done several cruises -- all of which have been on Royal Caribbean.(Always had a fantastic cruise) Now i have heard that Carnival is suppose to be just as good-Carnival is suppose to be $$ alot cheaper and the rooms are drap and dreary.

Which is better in everything??? Royal Caribbean or Carnival ???:confused:

Hello candiesx2,

Partner and I have been on both cruise lines. We had a good experience on both, but we have sailed more often on Carnival as there were a few more options as far a itinerary and ships closer to where we live in Florida.

A couple of things I do like to point it out in favor of RCL is the crowd and food. RCL seems, in my point of view, to atract a better crowd than Carnival. The food on Carnival is ok, but even on different ships we saw the same menus amd dishes over and over again...

For the all the rest, including the cabins, both cruises were good. Do remember that cruising is all about what makes you happy. After all, this is vacation time. :)

My spouse and I consider RCCL our favorite. Our travel agent has warned us not to take a Carnival cruise unless we want to be disappointed. We've also heard that from friends. So, our vote is for Royal Caribbean.

If my travel agent said that to me, I would be getting another one. I've cruise both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. In my opinion, you can't wrong with either. In fact I've been on Carnival six times and RCCL only three. So I guess I like Carnival better. The food and entertainment are pretty much the same. RCCL has amazing ships, that I can give RCCL. Love the bed I had on the Carnival Freedom. I was very comfy. Sometimes it boils down to price and itinerary. Last year when I was planning my Mediterranean cruise. The Carnival was $700 per person more than the Royal Caribbean. Plus the itinerary was better for us than RCCL leaving from Barcelona. Because of the money I saved on Carnival. I was able to spend several days before the cruise in Rome. If I have chosen the RCCL, I would have to just done the cruise.

Another point on travel agents. I never let them tell me what I want. I tell them what I want, and their job is to get it for me. I never go into my agency and say "send me somewhere" I always know exactly what I want, and how much I should be paying. Sometimes they don't always know what to look for.

If my travel agent said that to me, I would be getting another one. I've cruise both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. In my opinion, you can't wrong with either. In fact I've been on Carnival six times and RCCL only three. So I guess I like Carnival better. The food and entertainment are pretty much the same. RCCL has amazing ships, that I can give RCCL. Love the bed I had on the Carnival Freedom. I was very comfy. Sometimes it boils down to price and itinerary. Last year when I was planning my Mediterranean cruise. The Carnival was $700 per person more than the Royal Caribbean. Plus the itinerary was better for us than RCCL leaving from Barcelona. Because of the money I saved on Carnival. I was able to spend several days before the cruise in Rome. If I have chosen the RCCL, I would have to just done the cruise.

Another point on travel agents. I never let them tell me what I want. I tell them what I want, and their job is to get it for me. I never go into my agency and say "send me somewhere" I always know exactly what I want, and how much I should be paying. Sometimes they don't always know what to look for.

We have had the same travel agent for 30 years - she knows us like a book, the standard of travel we look for - everything. We've even taken several cruises with her. When she says don't take Carnival, we trust her. Our relationship with her has taken years to develop. Several times she has booked trips that we wanted to take and she discouraged a certain hotel we chose or an airline. She has always been right.

A lesbian couple we know just got back from a 3 day Carnival cruise with their daughter saying, "It's the Denny's of cruises."

'Nuff said!

Look, you can have a wonderful or horrible experience on either line. Reading these boards proves that. Know yourself. Know what you want.

Just totally discount whatever anyone, even me, says about food. As a veteran of these boards, I can tell you I can come back from a cruise and think the food was five star (and hey, my mom is a gourmet chef) and I can read someone else's review of the same cruise and they thought the food stunk. All of this is so subjective. And I don't think you can find a soul who ever went hungry on a cruise ship.

Ship-wise, the newer Royal Caribbean ships simply offer a lot more than any other cruise line's ships in terms of amenities and "wow" factors.

Crowd-wise, I can say, without exception, everyone I personally know who has done both, prefers the crowd on RCI.

If I were doing a port intensive cruise, somewhere other than the Caribbean, and it was a brand spanking new Carnival ship, I might be persuaded to try it. But if RCI had a comparable cruise on the same itinerary, I would be on RCI. I mean look at pictures of Carnival ships. They are 100% Vegas, baby. And hey, I love Vegas...for maybe 48 hours at a time. All the time I lived in Los Angeles, 2-3 days was about all I needed of Vegas. If you think 7 days of Vegas would be the best vacation ever, then there you go, and book Carnival.

I "second" Matt's post. These things are all very subjective. However, I have found that when deciding on a cruise, if you really pin-down what things are most important to YOU for YOUR vacation (itinerary, ship, travel dates, category availability, price, etc.), a clear option will often present itself quite clearly.

I'm a "tried & true" RCI fan, but honestly feel that Carnival's newer vessels are worth considering if the itineraries are similar. Granted, even the newer Carnival ships might not have all the "bells & whistles" found on RCI's newer ships, but they have been toned-down a bit and are ever-so-slightly more sophisticated than they have been in the past.

And while it isn't a requirement for me, it is nice when you happen to meet with other gay folks while onboard...and I think this is more likely to occur on RCI vs. Carnival (not a guarantee on either line, by any means, lol).

Best wishes for a successful cruise decision,

Gigglewolf

:p

I've have fun on both, but given the choice I would pick Royal Caribbean every time. Better crowd of people and nicer onboard atmosphere. Also, the new Royal Caribbean ships are just stunning. I can't really say the same about Carnival. In fact the Destiny/Conquest Class is probably the worst laid out, and most crowded feeling class of ship I have ever sailed. The pool areas are pretty poor compared to Royal Caribbean pool areas which are very nice. I will say the food and service tend to be better on Carnival.

Ernie

Hello Ernie:

My family of two dads and one adopted son had an excellent vaction on Carnival Pride and also Carnival Paradise. Our only RCI vacation had a scary small room.... (to be honsest Monarch of the Seas, an older ship).

Also I can afford a bigger room or suite on Carnival for what a standard balcony goes for on RCI....

I hate beige and I am not afraid of the use of color on Carnival. I really enjoy the food and cheerful service at a good price. Also I think the Spirit Class ships are well laid out.

Tom in Long Beach.

Hello Ernie:

My family of two dads and one adopted son had an excellent vaction on Carnival Pride and also Carnival Paradise. Our only RCI vacation had a scary small room.... (to be honsest Monarch of the Seas, an older ship).

Also I can afford a bigger room or suite on Carnival for what a standard balcony goes for on RCI....

I hate beige and I am not afraid of the use of color on Carnival. I really enjoy the food and cheerful service at a good price. Also I think the Spirit Class ships are well laid out.

Tom in Long Beach.

Hey Tom,

I've sailed on Carnival 10+ times so believe me I'm not anti-Carnival. They offer an amazing product for the price. This being said, generally I've found the passengers a bit more refined on Royal Caribbean and more gay-friendly. I also really dislike the Destiny/Conquest Class of ships. I do love the Spirit Class and would not hesitate to sail on them again.

Sometime you will have to give Royal Caribbean a try on a new ship, such as LIBERTY OF THE SEAS or JEWEL OF THE SEAS. They are amazing ships and I assure you they are not all beige. MONARCH OF THE SEAS is not a good representation of the line and shares very little in common with the newer ships in the fleet.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie, I can see that you have way more experiance than I...

Tom

Hey Tom,

I wasn't trying to tout experience, I just didn't want you think I'm a "Carnival Basher" which I am not. There are enough of those out there!

Ernie

I second your post!!! Well said!!!

Archived