Concierge Service - enforced restrictions

This will be our first Diamond cruise on Voyager next week. We are with other couples who are not diamond. We plan on going to the CL on our own. I wouldn't even think that our friends are entitled to join us, nor would I ask the Concierge to make an exception! I hope that the Concierge plays by the rules or it may affect his tip!

So what is exactly the rule? Does everyone in your room get CL access? It was never a issue for me because my husband ( and children) were always in my room( we are all diamond members) , but we have 2 rooms on the AOS and Oasis and my mom is in the room with me. She is not an alchol drinker, so I am only asking would she be allowed during the day to get something to drink?

So what is exactly the rule? Does everyone in your room get CL access? It was never a issue for me because my husband ( and children) were always in my room( we are all diamond members) , but we have 2 rooms on the AOS and Oasis and my mom is in the room with me. She is not an alchol drinker, so I am only asking would she be allowed during the day to get something to drink?

There are no drinks during the day.

Drinks are set out by the Concierge during the "cocktail hour" in the evening. Timing can vary, but it's usually 5:30 to 8:30.

Kathy, your DH to be has completed one cruise, right? So, he is a C&A member. Y'all now have the same address? If the address is on file at C&A for both of you, he should be elevated to your status (whether he has earned it or not :)) by virtue of your residing at the same address. This just needs to be pointed out to C&A. Just call them with your membership numbers and they will fix you up. My DH and my DD are both Diamonds because of me. (Actually I think DH is there on his own after our last cruise.)

Now to the general question, as for bringing in other family members/friends who are cruising with you, to me the answer would have to be a no. Where do you draw the line? I was just updating the roll call for my upcoming cruise, and, for example, one couple is traveling with eight other family members - a brother and sister-in-law and their two kids, and both sets of their parents.

Kathyemma enjoyed reading all of your posts & yes he has to stay in your favor to earn the right for the CL. As a tease let him go on the first night & if he pisses you off then it can be taken away. HEE HEE! I can't do that to mine he has earned his diamond status right along with me.

For the cruisers that are cruising with non diamond members we were faced with the same situation this past Aug on AOS we were sailing with gold members. Did we bring them to the CL with us NO! We explained & when we went to the CL they did they own thing like the pool etc. then we met up for dinner. Our cabins were right next to each other so they knew when we were going. They also felt that they did not achive that status yet so it was not an option for them. I also agree with the Concierge's that enforce the rules. The first night the CL was terribly crowded DeDe checked sea passes & the rest of cruise the Cl had about 50% less passengers.

So it just occured to me that royal had my old VA address. So I called them to give them my new address and told them I got married so they could change my dh's address as well. I wanted to make sure they knew we were married since we have different last names. The C & A lady told me that DH now has diamond status - i said noooooooooooooooo he needs to work for it. She laughed and said sorry. I told her I just wasn't going to tell him but she said no luck - it will be on his card. So I guess I will have to be nice and let him in the lounge with me.

Kathy

I get what your saying and for the most part I agree, but if I am diamond and I go on a cruise with ONE PERSON, who is my cabinmate, I'll be damned if I go and sit in the CL by myself. It may just be me, but I think thats rude. Free drinks arent worth that to me.
I guess, to me, that would depend on the situation at the moment. I wouldn't exclude them, but I know there are times when my wife is doing something else and I go somewhere and have a drink or two. I certainly wouldn't skip having the drink be a free one just because she wasn't allowed access to the CL.

The exact rule is that access to the concierge lounge is for those in suites and Diamond and Diamond Plus members only. No guests allowed. So if the rule is followed exactly, then no your mother would not be allowed to go to the concierge lounge.

DH and I, along with our sons, are all Diamond members. For an upcoming cruise our son will be bringing along his girlfriend. I emailed Crown and Anchor and received this back:

The guest that is in the stateroom of a Diamond member does have access to the concierge lounge.

I am a Diamond Plus member, as my late husband and I had cruised over 30 times on Royal Caribbean. I'm sailing on January 2, 09 with a girlfriend, and she has only been on Royal Caribbean a few times. We booked a Grand Suite in order for my friend to have access to the Concierge Lounge.

I was told that she MAY be allowed in the CL, depending on the Concierge, but we didn't want to take that chance. It isn't so much the free drinks we were after, but rather the chance of meeting people, as this is a new expierience for us to travel without our spouses.

Ginnie

On the Freedom class ships does the Diamond Lounge get as crowded since there are both the CL and the DL? I guess it would depend on the sailing but saying its just a standard 7 day Caribbean....

We have always noted in the past that on the Voyager class the CL could never handle the crowd and they always had to open a satellite location.

I was just on the voyager 3 weeks ago and didnt have any problem at all, the person staying in my cabin had only been on one rccl cruise, and I was also travelling with my sister and her husband and she told me it was ok to bring them in too. What I think it probably has to do with is how many diamond and diamond plus members are on the cruise. I had talked to the concierge and she told me there was only 35 total, 5 diamond plus and 30 diamond, which is probably why they didnt care. But I have also been on ships where the lounge is packed every night and that is probably when they put more restrictions on the lounge.

It is up to each individual concierge to decide. It is hard when you are the diamond/diamond plus member and the person travelling with you is not. I agree people should not get so uptight about it...if the concierge is ok with it then it should be ok.

I am a Diamond Plus member, as my late husband and I had cruised over 30 times on Royal Caribbean. I'm sailing on January 2, 09 with a girlfriend, and she has only been on Royal Caribbean a few times. We booked a Grand Suite in order for my friend to have access to the Concierge Lounge.

I was told that she MAY be allowed in the CL, depending on the Concierge, but we didn't want to take that chance. It isn't so much the free drinks we were after, but rather the chance of meeting people, as this is a new expierience for us to travel without our spouses.

Ginnie

We are the same as we enjoy meeting other people and chatting with them while drinking a cocktail as it's a very social environment. You can meet a lot of nice people in the DL and enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail at the same time!:D If the DL is not crowded and the Concierge lets people bring in guests, then we don't care. It's only when it's standing room only and you find out that 50% of the people are guests is when I get "uptight" as someone calls it!

I was just on the voyager 3 weeks ago and didnt have any problem at all, the person staying in my cabin had only been on one rccl cruise, and I was also travelling with my sister and her husband and she told me it was ok to bring them in too. What I think it probably has to do with is how many diamond and diamond plus members are on the cruise. I had talked to the concierge and she told me there was only 35 total, 5 diamond plus and 30 diamond, which is probably why they didnt care. But I have also been on ships where the lounge is packed every night and that is probably when they put more restrictions on the lounge.

It is up to each individual concierge to decide. It is hard when you are the diamond/diamond plus member and the person travelling with you is not. I agree people should not get so uptight about it...if the concierge is ok with it then it should be ok.

See?? thats not right.:mad: ,,it shouldnt be up to the concierge.......I personally dont think friends and family OUTSIDE your cabin should be allowed in............(I am assuming you all didnt stay in one cabin)

They really need to crack down on this...........I dont care if there was only 1 qualifying person onboard............

as far as the toiletries,there hasnt been one cruise that I havent gotten any.............

We frequently travel with friends and find no need to BE with them 24/7. Everyone needs a break!!! Some friends are not yet Diamond Status. We have never considered asking for them have CL privileges. We visit with them off and on during the cruise but are not joined at the hip. We go to shows together, we sit at the pool, some times an excursion and we have dinner together EVERY night.

I don't consider it a cutback and the rule has always been enforced on the Explorer in both the CL and the overflow lounge. I can't speak for other ships but on the Ex. its really about space. As someone else posted the CL is packed and so is the overflow in the evening as well. Alcohol and soda is only served from 5-830pm. Coffee, tea, cappachino, and expresso is 24/7. To the person that said the letter from the concierge said Dear Mr. and Mrs, but only gave one CL key that is common on the Ex. You just get another key from the concierge if you want one but you are only given one with the letter. I can definitely understand if you are traveling in the same cabin with someone and would like them to join you in the CL or overflow if you are diamond but there's just not enough room anymore with so many diamonds and suite guests. If you really want to have all guests in your cabin use the CL amenity you can always book a suite and then everyone in the suite gets that perk.

Good news...if you are diamond then your DH is automatically diamond...but that only applies to spouces, not children or other family members.

To reply to the OP...I am one who enjoys the CL and don't mind that my room mates, when not traveling with my spouce are not with me...it gives me a time to be alone and enjoy a little time meeting other diamond members.

Rev

Actually, I am not sure the previous info you have gotten about your new DH's status are correct. It depends on whether he has already cruised with RCI at least once. You cannot get C&A membership until after your first cruise. So if this is DH's first cruise, he will not be Daimond+ with you until after the cruise - at which time he will be eligible to join and then will be given your status as your DH (rather than starting at Gold).

If he has already cruised at least one time on RCI, then he will, indeed, be able to have D+ status on your honeymoon cruise.

Having said that, in any case he should be able to join you in CL - he just may not get the D+ coupon book.

This is what happened with my younger DD. She was D due to our having reached that level before she left home. When she married her new DH had never cruised. She checked on getting him D statue for their honeymoon cruise and was given the above info. He was able to do everything with her on the cruise (just didn't get the D coupon book, only DD got that). Then when they returned from the cruise they signed him up and he was given her D status.

I am Diamond because I am Celebrity Captains Club Elite, so my upcoming cruises will will by my first on RCL and I will be Diamond. I do have seven cruises on my account, since DW has a number of RCL cruises and those credits were transfered to me. After the back to back cruises we are going on, in a suite, we will both be Diamond based on that , not our CC status.

DH & I are D+. On our upcoming Independence cruise we are taking friends with us. Because of circumstances I won't go into here, we are set-up at two cabins with DH and friend in one and me and friend in the other.

Our friends are gold with 2 credits each so neither are entitled to CL. DH and I will use the CL lounge (or overflow) but we have no intention of inviting our friends in with us and I know we probably could. Last year when we sailed with friends, the same thing and it just didn't dawn on us to ask our friends who were on their second cruise, to come with us.

It is not in the least bit fair to allow friends and family who have not earned this perk to be allowed in. It doesn't matter in the least who is sailing with whom and who is in who'se room. This is an EARNED perk.

If this kind of thing continues, this perk will go the way of the dodo bird. Let's not forget that RCL is looking for ways to trim the costs. As this is a perk it could go in the same direction as the A"free" steak.

Archived